6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Major Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 maxima just died on me on highway

2004 Maxima just died on me on the highway

So I had it towed to house and tried some troubleshooting . First I had to charge battery and when I did the car turns over but will not start like its not getting fuel . So I first check the fuel pump and the fuse for it and they both are working and I can hear the fuel pump .

Next I put my actron code reader on and it says operating error can not communicate with vehicle . So I than put my scanner on two different vehicles and it works so its not that . Than I remembered a few yrs ago that happened with the scanner and the problem was the ground battery cable had corroded off the connection underneath the battery tray . So I decide to look in this area the ground was still connected but the battery tray was covered with white powder and the positive terminal did not look good its has corrosion on it also . So I do know if this is the problem ,but I did take the battery tray out and the negative cable out and will replace that and I think the positive also because something is at least wrong in this area that I can't get my code reader to read and give me a code . The battery may be bad also but that should not have anything to do with it shutting down . I can see that no matter what this area does not need to be clean and maybe that positive connection terminal to battery replaced. I definately need the actron reader at least to work before I start thinking about taking it somewhere .

My question is would a problem in this area cause the car to shut down and now it turns over but no start and anyone have some suggestions ?

Last edited by mardonius; 11-10-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mardonius
2004 Maxima just died on me on the highway

So I had it towed to house and tried some troubleshooting . First I had to charge battery and when I did the car turns over but will not start like its not getting fuel . So I first check the fuel pump and the fuse for it and they both are working and I can hear the fuel pump .

Next I put my actron code reader on and it says operating error can not communicate with vehicle . So I than put my scanner on two different vehicles and it works so its not that . Than I remembered a few yrs ago that happened with the scanner and the problem was the ground battery cable had corroded off the connection underneath the battery tray . So I decide to look in this area the ground was still connected but the battery tray was covered with white powder and the positive terminal did not look good its has corrosion on it also . So I do know if this is the problem ,but I did take the battery tray out and the negative cable out and will replace that and I think the positive also because something is at least wrong in this area that I can't get my code reader to read and give me a code . The battery may be bad also but that should not have anything to do with it shutting down . I can see that no matter what this area does not need to be clean and maybe that positive connection terminal to battery replaced. I definately need the actron reader at least to work before I start thinking about taking it somewhere .

My question is would a problem in this area cause the car to shut down and now it turns over but no start and anyone have some suggestions ?

ur car won't start or dies when it's on the freeway? MAF sensor perhaps. there was someone here who had a similar problem and the thread is someone here. maybe u can search for it. any other symptoms?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

still will not crank and code reader will not read my car

I Cleaned the battery tray brought a new ground cable clean everything up but still Actron reader will not communicate with car it says operating error but only for my maxima not my other vehicle . Now it was not doing this until the car stalled and cut off on me . I did not change the fuseable link on the positive terminal could that be a reason why My reader does not read and also car cranks but does not start ? I really do need to figure out why my reader is not connecting with car because that would at least give me a code to work with .
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Try turning the key all the way to the right without starting it for 20 sec before you start and let the fuel pump get the gas in the engine and then start. should work fine.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I might have a similar problem...In the morning my car starts up nice and fine...but toward the afternoon usually when I am leaving work, on the start the ignition cranks and then the car starts after a few seconds (3 to be exact...I timed it)...Recently, I cycled the key 3-4 times and upon doing that start up was normal. I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima SE. Is this indicative of fuel problems? Engine light isn't on, air filter is new. Recently had my fuel injection tuned and O2 sensor changed. I'm going to get it looked at, but wanted to know if any of you had similar problems or some suggestions as to what it may be.

Thanks!