6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Step on Gas with no RPM Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Step on Gas with no RPM Change

Hello,

I just bought an '05 5 speed Auto SE and had some strange issues. Yesterday I was stopped at a light and when it turned green, I stepped on the gas. The car just sat there, continuing to idle, with no increase in RPM. I then shifted into neutral and RPM's behaved normally, increasing as I further pushed the gas pedal. When I shifted back into Drive, the problem continued. The only way I was finally able to get moving was by revving the engine in neutral, then quickly shifting into Drive. This happened a few times that night and I was hoping someone had any suggestions as to what the problem might be. Thanks!

---Paul
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM

any SES codes popping up ?

Could be 1 of 2 things,

1 tranny is shot , it finally gave up , how many miles and what year is it ?

2 could be in fail safe mode , check the SES codes and correct them
Old 08-31-2010, 10:05 PM

do you have a CAI? check your MAF sensor... maybe it is clogged by the oils and dirt of your air intake filter... exact same thing happened to me... and the dealer said that my MAF was clogged by the oils from my CAI filter... worth a try....
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 PM

so you revved high in neutral and then went into drive at a high rev? thats basically neutral bombing which will blow your tranny quickly
Old 09-01-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
any SES codes popping up ?

Could be 1 of 2 things,

1 tranny is shot , it finally gave up , how many miles and what year is it ?

2 could be in fail safe mode , check the SES codes and correct them
It is a 2005, with 38k miles. The car worked fine the next day, but it definitely has me worried. I originally thought tranny, but shouldn't the engine revv in drive, even with a blown tranny? It's at the shop now, so I'll see if they pull any codes.

Last edited by StormNYC1; 09-01-2010 at 04:33 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by morteljc
do you have a CAI? check your MAF sensor... maybe it is clogged by the oils and dirt of your air intake filter... exact same thing happened to me... and the dealer said that my MAF was clogged by the oils from my CAI filter... worth a try....
No CAI or aftermarket items. I just bought the car stock from the dealer. The car may have been sitting for a while. I'm not sure if that could influence anything. The car worked fine the next day, so maybe the MAF is having intermittent issues. I'm having the shop check the codes today.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
so you revved high in neutral and then went into drive at a high rev? thats basically neutral bombing which will blow your tranny quickly
Yeah, it's definitely something I don't want to make a habit of. Next time, I'll just push the car off the road and have the dealer come get it. Thanks for the warning.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:54 AM

Sounds like your fly by wire throttle body is going bad or went bad,This is a very common problem with the altimas but ive seen it on a few maximas.......
Old 09-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Just a quick update:

I brought the car to the dealer and he had it for four days. There were no issues on the way to Nissan (about 10 miles away). Luckily, they were able to reproduce the issue.

The service manager seemed genuinely confused as to the cause, since he wasn't pulling any codes. Eventually, they told me that the tranny fluid was pretty low and they topped it up. In total, they test drove it 3 miles.

It is definitely shifting a bit smoother now, but I'm not convinced that the problem is fixed, since it was intermittent. I also don't know how low tranny fluid could cause those symptoms and why it was low is another concern.

I'll just have to keep driving it and see if anything goes wrong. The warranty is only for two months, so it definitely has me worried.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by StormNYC1
Just a quick update:

I brought the car to the dealer and he had it for four days. There were no issues on the way to Nissan (about 10 miles away). Luckily, they were able to reproduce the issue.

The service manager seemed genuinely confused as to the cause, since he wasn't pulling any codes. Eventually, they told me that the tranny fluid was pretty low and they topped it up. In total, they test drove it 3 miles.

It is definitely shifting a bit smoother now, but I'm not convinced that the problem is fixed, since it was intermittent. I also don't know how low tranny fluid could cause those symptoms and why it was low is another concern.

I'll just have to keep driving it and see if anything goes wrong. The warranty is only for two months, so it definitely has me worried.
Maybe you got a used to be modified car and the owner Sold the parts on here and put the orignal stuff back on.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:54 PM

Could be it was in fail safe mode, sometimes it resets itself but the code will pop up soon and car will go back in fail safe mode again