6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

TAIL LIGHT MOD

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:06 PM
KC's FINEST

TAIL LIGHT MOD

Bought some LED switchbacks from another member.

Instead of putting them in the front blinkers I stuck them in the tail lights.

When the lights are on there is no visible difference.

When the blinkers are on with the parking lights, they blink red and amber.

Blinkers on with parking lights off they blink just amber.

As far as I know these are the first rear amber blinkers around.

VIDEO

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t=MVI_6131.mp4

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...t=MVI_6132.mp4

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...=MVI_6129.mp4]

Since I've done this and seen how good the amber looks, i've come up with another idea.

These are now for sale. Anyone interested, PM for details.

I know the colors are a little hard to see but in person the amber/red difference is very pronounced.

Last edited by KCMAXX; 11-23-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:26 PM
Got Retrofit?

Wow, something new and different. I like it even though I'm not a fan of amber. Good job
Old 11-24-2010, 01:39 PM

Excellent idea KCmaxx. I am not a big fan of red rear blinkers. I especially hate the fact that some Japanese and European cars sold in those countries have the orange blinkers and they change it to red for US market. Not really sure what is the benefit to the automaker for doing this other than the fact that both colors are legal in the US whereas it must be amber for Europe, Japan and a lot of other countries. I find the red hard to distinguish sometimes especially when someone is braking and turning at the same time. The amber stands out better in my opinion, but again everyone will have a different opinion on this subject. I wish Nissan kept it amber as they did in 4th, 5th and previous generation Maximas. Swithcbacks are something I had on my very short mod list, but forget about the front I think I am more interested in doing the tails instead. I imagine this simple mod would surprise another 6th gen owner driving behind you when you change a lane or turn. Great idea!
Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 PM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by Redstone
Excellent idea KCmaxx. I am not a big fan of red rear blinkers. I especially hate the fact that some Japanese and European cars sold in those countries have the orange blinkers and they change it to red for US market. Not really sure what is the benefit to the automaker for doing this other than the fact that both colors are legal in the US whereas it must be amber for Europe, Japan and a lot of other countries. I find the red hard to distinguish sometimes especially when someone is braking and turning at the same time. The amber stands out better in my opinion, but again everyone will have a different opinion on this subject. I wish Nissan kept it amber as they did in 4th, 5th and previous generation Maximas. Swithcbacks are something I had on my very short mod list, but forget about the front I think I am more interested in doing the tails instead. I imagine this simple mod would surprise another 6th gen owner driving behind you when you change a lane or turn. Great idea!

Thanks.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 AM

KC, I don't know if its my eyes getting too old or what but it still looks the same red in the video. Is it more of an amber (like a stripper...- PUT YOUR HANDS TOGETHER FOR---- AMBER!!!!) in person where it will really be noticeable at a distance? I did like the amber blinker of my 02 Max. Do you think a regular amber blinker bulb will give the same effect cuz I'm not really wanting to add the resistor cuz, well, I'm to lazy now that its cold out.

Last edited by BadBlackMaxSL; 11-26-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:16 AM

KCmaxx I decided to do a little experiment before I go out and spend a fortune on switchbacks. I had an old pair of 3357 amber bulbs hanging around in my basement and since they fit perfectly into the 3057 socket for the 2006 I was able to prove whether or not this mod was worth the hassle of buying switchbacks. My plan was to use the tail/blinker portion of the light cluster as a blinker only. So I cut a small piece of electrical tape and placed it over one of the 4 leads for of the bulb so that it would not complete the circuit for one of the filaments. Since it's a dual filament bulb this disabled the running light filament (the taller and thinner of the two filaments) from coming on at night thus making it a blinker only both day and night. Since the brake lights are also doubled as running lights I figured that would be enough illumination for a taillight if the mod works. The verdict is that there was no noticeable difference between the color of the orange bulb blinker and my other taillight blinker that was left stock for comparison. It would be nice if they made an aftermarket taillight that has all the looks of the stock tails expect for making the blinker portion clear or with some kind of orange dome inside. That would make this mod more of reality.