6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima Hesitation Issue Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 AM

Maxima Hesitation Issue Solved

Just want to share something that is fixed on my maxima.

I had the engine hesitation when shifting gears. Initially I was pretty sure it was the tranmission problem - then I spent more time in understanding exactly what it was.
  • It would do this in any gear
  • It would always do this when the car had warmed up a bit
  • And more important, it did when the car was in park as well - I would press hard on the gas, when the needle showed 3000 RPM it would hesitate as if it was loosing power - this was the clincher. lol. I know it was obvious in hindsight but my mind was set that it had to be the transmission
  • I had the check engine light on indicating potential bad EGR
I took it to a mechanic, changed the tranny fluid in it. It was dark. The mechanic said my transmission was shot. I didnt believe him. But the problem did not go away.

I took it to the dealer and told him it could be the EGR. They came back saying they cleaned it, put it back, and did the IDLE RELEARN. I got the car back yesterday and it drives great. Shifting is silky smooth.

So in summary I got the ticking noise resolved (timing chain, tensioners replaced etc..so my other post) and now the shifting is great so far. The engine sounds great.

I now have to deal with bad rattle/cluncking noise coming from the back though ! Not sure what is causing it. Seat belts mechanism, bushings ? I have no idea. Wondering it I should take it to Midas. They will probably say it is the struts but I dont think it is.

What the heck is the IDLE RELEARN anyway ? Anyone know ?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by osisray
Just want to share something that is fixed on my maxima.

I had the engine hesitation when shifting gears. Initially I was pretty sure it was the tranmission problem - then I spent more time in understanding exactly what it was.
  • It would do this in any gear
  • It would always do this when the car had warmed up a bit
  • And more important, it did when the car was in park as well - I would press hard on the gas, when the needle showed 3000 RPM it would hesitate as if it was loosing power - this was the clincher. lol. I know it was obvious in hindsight but my mind was set that it had to be the transmission
  • I had the check engine light on indicating potential bad EGR
I took it to a mechanic, changed the tranny fluid in it. It was dark. The mechanic said my transmission was shot. I didnt believe him. But the problem did not go away.

I took it to the dealer and told him it could be the EGR. They came back saying they cleaned it, put it back, and did the IDLE RELEARN. I got the car back yesterday and it drives great. Shifting is silky smooth.

So in summary I got the ticking noise resolved (timing chain, tensioners replaced etc..so my other post) and now the shifting is great so far. The engine sounds great.

I now have to deal with bad rattle/cluncking noise coming from the back though ! Not sure what is causing it. Seat belts mechanism, bushings ? I have no idea. Wondering it I should take it to Midas. They will probably say it is the struts but I dont think it is.

What the heck is the IDLE RELEARN anyway ? Anyone know ?
Glad you got the issue resolved man!

As for the rattle in the back, could be the 3rd brake light or the deck itself, I know a few of the guys had the same issue (as do I) and they either had the light cut out (which could get you a nice ticket here) or put some foam in between the gaps and that solved it. I have yet to do so, but will get that looked at once the new parts I ordered come in.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by the macedonian
As for the rattle in the back, could be the 3rd brake light or the deck itself, I know a few of the guys had the same issue (as do I) and they either had the light cut out (which could get you a nice ticket here) or put some foam in between the gaps and that solved it.
thanks. Can you keep us updated ?

You said it could be the deck, could you expand on that ? May be it is the deck. It is fairly loud rattle as if something is loose. I saw another post where it was the seat belt mechanism.

Despite all the problems, I still love this car. Though i think the HVAC buttons are frcking over engineered. I hate the A/C turning on everytime you touch a button. Oh well, I digress.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Idle Relearn....

* Don't do it if you don't have to.
* Warm up car to operating temp.
* Turn off car and wait 10 seconds.
* Make sure to fully release accelerator pedal.
* Turn ON ignition (not car) and wait 3 seconds.
* Within one second fully depress and release accelerator pedal. Do this five times within 5 seconds.
* wait 7 seconds.
* Fully depress accelerator pedal and keep it there for 20 seconds.
* Slowly fully release accelerator pedal within 3 seconds.
* Start the engine and wait till idle.
* Wait 20 seconds.
* Rev the engine for about four times upto 4k RPM one by one.

That should do it.

Last edited by KevMaster; 02-04-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the post. It was very helpful