6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

HID to relay or not to relay that is the Q?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:32 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have installed the new ballasts that I received as replacements for the original ballasts that I received. They worked perfectly no more flicker atleast for the headlights. The seller did not send me the fog light replacement ballasts yet so I will post again once I get those installed and let you know if those fix the flicker on the fogs.

The ballasts sent this time for the headlights were different though and that is the main reason I wanted to put this post up. The ballasts he sent this time were AC volt ballasts instead of DC which were the cause of my flicker. So make sure you ask specifically for AC ballasts if you decide to install Xentec HID kits in your 08' Max (probably other years as well). They have a black box in line with the 2 connectors that plug into the HID bulb and they do not have a pigtail harness that plug into the ballast for the factory connector. It has 2 sealed harnesses that come out of the ballast. Here is a link for a company that sells there kits with AC, Can-bus ballasts (Anti flicker technology):
http://www.hidsrus.com/nissan-xenon-...dlights-bulbs/
Here is a link for the ballasts that look like the ones I received scroll down to "Images" and look at the picture of the kit still in the box:
http://dealnay.com/1075481/xentec-sl...ltrawhite.html

I also wanted to mention that since you will need to drill a hole in the back headlamp bulb cover you should head to the Home Depot or other store that carries liquid tape and use that to seal the hole that you will have to drill. I put a couple of coats on my wires after wrapping the wires with electrical tape to fill most of the hole and then pushing it back into the hole about half way. I also had to take the terminals out of the factory connector for the headlight bulb and run them out the hole I drilled in the cover, put the terminals back in the connector, and seal the connector as well. The factory connector is not a sealed connector so make sure you drill the hole close to your factory rubber grommet that runs into the cover and also pack your connectors that plug into each other with dielectric grease to stop water intrusion.

Last edited by 2008MAXIMASE; 04-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.