6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Need Help with HID Please!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM

Need Help with HID Please!!

I bought a kit installed it and now when i turn my lights on not only do my low beans come on but also my high beams What am I missing Is there anything that im missing? Also I think the kit I got is POS, the bulbs flicker like you can see movement of the light but I am unable to find solution to my high beam lights coming on when I just turn on normal low beam lights any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am not sure why you are having trouble with your lights. I bought my HIDs from DDMTunning.com and they work perfect. They are also only $40.00.

Sorry that i cannot help you with your problem.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:56 PM

The shutter in the projector isn't closing or is stuck open. You sure you connected the shutters power wire inside the headlight? Checked the fuse in the IPDM? Its a 10amp fuse slot #40.

Have you made sure the turn signal stalk is not in the hi beam position?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:47 AM

no I have not checked the fuse, and thought to let you know that my car does not have fog lights or anything like that. what is the shutter? I mean I just put in the bulb and thats it i don't see anything else being in there as fas a problem with the projector. And as far as to my lights, when I just want normal lights to work and I turn the switch not only my hid come on but my high beam it didn't do that before,before i was able to turn the switch and just low beam lights come on and when you pull it high beam come on and when you push it back high beam stays on. when i pull the switch the low beam stay on and the high beam turn off. when i push the switch outward the high beam turn off and low beam stay on (hids) and when in normal operation position (both high & low beam are on).
Old 07-15-2010, 05:43 PM

so I got sick of messing around with my hid's and I ran into another problem, now when I turn on my normal lights not only do my normal lights come on but also my high beam lights come on. I have no idea what happend I checked fuses all are there and working I checked connections and everything looks good, I have no idea this is my last resort as for help. any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 PM

Buy another set.. Did you buy it off ebay..? Was it a plug and play kit..? Did you splice into wires..? My only guess is, somehow you tapped into your high beams when installing..

Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 PM

yea plug and play and bought from ebay, and they were not plugged into high beam, my right side of the hid was higher then the left, they have a sensor that says they are too high and thats why the high beam don't work? I think my case is different they are when i had the HID's in my high beams where on all the time as well so i took the bulb out.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 PM

you got the hi/low kit..why dint you check the wiring.you might have conected the high and low beam positive harness together and when u turn on one the other one turns on..my suggestion is to check all the wiring again..if you fix that your flickering might stop.cuz the ballast right now has to work twice (high and low beam) and it flickers..as far as the fuses as long as u get light on bulbs ur fuses r good
Old 07-20-2010, 04:18 PM

No i only have the low beam kit.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:32 PM

so with the low beam kit u get the high and low out of the projector..right?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 PM

yes, now I do even tho the kit is no longer there I still get both on when my normal lights go on i have both . I don't know what happened
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 PM

suggestions? I am back in the game gone solve this mystery.. my stock light went out and need to replace it so I will put the kit back it and work my way from there, I found out I might need a relay of some sort, could that be the problem?
Old 10-16-2010, 04:59 PM

So here is a video of the hid flicker problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Zw4PiJP_w
Old 04-03-2011, 05:01 AM

I hope someone can help me I installed my ebay bought kits (headlights and fog lights) last night and relay harness and I too am having a bulb flicker problem. I bought a Xentec slim ballast plug and play kit for my 2008 Maxima. I originally did not install the relay kit got the car all back together and everything was working but after about 1 minute the lights started to flicker fog lights and headlights all 4 were doing this. I drove it home hoping that maybe a good run time on the new bulbs might cure the flicker....well it didn't so I went back to the place I did my install took it back apart and installed the relay harness in both the fog lights and the headlights and it still flickers. I thought the relay was supposed to cure issues such as these. Please if anyone runs along this thread and can help I would really appreciate it.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:47 AM

looks like you have a bad connection or a defective item. never go cheap.. a cheap man always pays twice!

also, your wiring might be jacked up son..
Old 04-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Have you ever run into this situation? What kit did you purchase?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2008MAXIMASE
I hope someone can help me I installed my ebay bought kits (headlights and fog lights) last night and relay harness and I too am having a bulb flicker problem. I bought a Xentec slim ballast plug and play kit for my 2008 Maxima. I originally did not install the relay kit got the car all back together and everything was working but after about 1 minute the lights started to flicker fog lights and headlights all 4 were doing this. I drove it home hoping that maybe a good run time on the new bulbs might cure the flicker....well it didn't so I went back to the place I did my install took it back apart and installed the relay harness in both the fog lights and the headlights and it still flickers. I thought the relay was supposed to cure issues such as these. Please if anyone runs along this thread and can help I would really appreciate it.
Your problem is Xentec. They are TERRIBLE! I've been through 2 of their kits and will NEVER, EVER buy them again.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM

sound like the Balist are not getting enough power DDM tunning should have the right harnest for that issue just call them.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:10 PM

I would just buy some DDM tuning kits. They are cheap and the quality of their kits are very good.

Originally Posted by chris350
looks like you have a bad connection or a defective item. never go cheap.. a cheap man always pays twice!

also, your wiring might be jacked up son..
Not really, there are some vendors (I'll keep them anonymous for now) that I have dealt with that will sell you some low quality kits for something like 80 bucks. Those same kits can be bought on ebay for 20 bucks with the same bulbs, ballasts, and a lifetime warranty.

Case in point, don't get hustled on these forums.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 PM

With almost every aftermarket HID install I have done, new bulbs flicker and then fully break in, they stop jumping around like that.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
Your problem is Xentec. They are TERRIBLE! I've been through 2 of their kits and will NEVER, EVER buy them again.
With the kits you bought is this flickering problem with or without the relay the same issue you had with your kit?

Last edited by 2008MAXIMASE; 04-04-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
I would just buy some DDM tuning kits. They are cheap and the quality of their kits are very good.

Not really, there are some vendors (I'll keep them anonymous for now) that I have dealt with that will sell you some low quality kits for something like 80 bucks. Those same kits can be bought on ebay for 20 bucks with the same bulbs, ballasts, and a lifetime warranty.

What do you or anyone else think about "HIDSRUS" HID kits? I looked at a review of HID kits last night and these were one that was rated #1 in that review and they are only $57.99.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nick07Max
With almost every aftermarket HID install I have done, new bulbs flicker and then fully break in, they stop jumping around like that.
How long do you think I should wait then before I should really start thinking about possibly either replacing the entire kit or contacting the guy I bought these off of to start getting replacement parts? If it does not stop what do you think the problem may be and is there a fix I can do without replacing anything?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 AM

I forgot to mention that the kits I bought were "Low Beam" kits only but when I tried to use high beams they turned on. This is not a Bi-Zenon kit. Why would this work can anybody tell me? And would this have anything to do with the flickering issue I am having with all 4 lights (fogs and headlights)?

Last edited by 2008MAXIMASE; 04-04-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM

What do you or anyone else think about "HIDSRUS" HID kits? I looked at a review of HID kits last night and these were one that was rated #1 in that review and they are only $57.99.
The price on those are not bad but I never heard of those. Be leery of some of these web reviews. Sometimes these are very bias.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:22 PM

I forgot to mention that the kits I bought were "Low Beam" kits only but when I tried to use high beams they turned on. This is not a Bi-Zenon kit. Why would this work can anybody tell me? And would this have anything to do with the flickering issue I am having with all 4 lights (fogs and headlights)?
Nope, the flickering is coming because of a bad kit. If your lights are having trouble turning your lights in cold weather for example, then you need a relay kit.

I also have low beans too and the reason why 6th gens still have high beams is because of a "metal shutter" that directs the light upwards when switching to high beams.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:09 PM

Nope, the flickering is coming because of a bad kit. If your lights are having trouble turning your lights in cold weather for example, then you need a relay kit.

I also have low beans too and the reason why 6th gens still have high beams is because of a "metal shutter" that directs the light upwards when switching to high beams.
Thanks for the info I read something about the "Shutter" and I wasn't sure exactly what it was for. I also contacted the person I bought the kit from and he said he is going to send me new ballasts so I will keep my fingers crossed that this will take care of it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have bought several kits from ebay very cheap they work fine!! In the maxima you just gotta buy one kit (9004) i believe There is a hinge within the projector that switch's the direction of the light causing it to appear low or high beam. My only guess could be you may have got the wrong bulb and might be hitting the hinge stopping it to fit in place for low or highs to work, so it appears to your eyes that both are on? idk it is just a guess.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by nnizmo2
I have bought several kits from ebay very cheap they work fine!! In the maxima you just gotta buy one kit (9004) i believe There is a hinge within the projector that switch's the direction of the light causing it to appear low or high beam. My only guess could be you may have got the wrong bulb and might be hitting the hinge stopping it to fit in place for low or highs to work, so it appears to your eyes that both are on? idk it is just a guess.
My issue was not with fitment it is with the bulbs flickering and what I needed to do to fix it. As far as high and low beam I just wasn't sure why I was able to get high beam and as mentioned previously it is because Nissan incorporated a shutter to divert the beam upward to act as a high beam instead of using a dual filament bulb.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
KC's FINEST

Do tell...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 AM

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-07-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 AM
KC's FINEST

lmao, typical maximus
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-07-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have installed the new ballasts that I received as replacements for the original ballasts that I received. They worked perfectly no more flicker atleast for the headlights. The seller did not send me the fog light replacement ballasts yet so I will post again once I get those installed and let you know if those fix the flicker on the fogs.

The ballasts sent this time for the headlights were different though and that is the main reason I wanted to put this post up. The ballasts he sent this time were AC volt ballasts instead of DC which were the cause of my flicker. So make sure you ask specifically for AC ballasts if you decide to install Xentec HID kits in your 08' Max (probably other years as well). They have a black box in line with the 2 connectors that plug into the HID bulb and they do not have a pigtail harness that plug into the ballast for the factory connector. It has 2 sealed harnesses that come out of the ballast. Here is a link for a company that sells there kits with AC, Can-bus ballasts (Anti flicker technology):
http://www.hidsrus.com/nissan-xenon-kits-lights-conversions-headlights-bulbs/
Here is a link for the ballasts that look like the ones I received scroll down to "Images" and look at the picture of the kit still in the box:
http://dealnay.com/1075481/xentec-slim-ballast-hid-kit-9006hb46000k-ultrawhite.html

I also wanted to mention that since you will need to drill a hole in the back headlamp bulb cover you should head to the Home Depot or other store that carries liquid tape and use that to seal the hole that you will have to drill. I put a couple of coats on my wires after wrapping the wires with electrical tape to fill most of the hole and then pushing it back into the hole about half way. I also had to take the terminals out of the factory connector for the headlight bulb and run them out the hole I drilled in the cover, put the terminals back in the connector, and seal the connector as well. The factory connector is not a sealed connector so make sure you drill the hole close to your factory rubber grommet that runs into the cover and also pack your connectors that plug into each other with dielectric grease to stop water intrusion.