6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cruise Control Malfunction & Acceleration Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM

Cruise Control Malfunction & Acceleration Problem

I have 2 problems - maybe related, maybe not.

1. On my way home today, I noticed an acceleration problem. When putting the gas pedal to the floor, the care BARELY accererates. If I just barely push the pedal it goes faster than if the pedal is to the floor.

2. When I attempted to set the cruise control, the SET light began to flash and would not set the speed. I looked at that in my manual and it says that the system has malfunctioned and should be looked at by the dealer.

Anyone seen this before? PLEASE HELP!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:43 AM

What I do is usually wait until I have to get an oil change and then take it to the dealer. They usually do their "5-point" inspection or diagnostic test and will probably pick up any issues that your car has.

That's my suggestion just in case nobody chimes in.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 PM

Bump for some help, PLEASE!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:25 PM

An update on the issue:

The problem originally occurred on Friday night at 6 PM. The car sat for around 40 hours, until 10 AM Sunday morning. I drove on the interstate for about 45 miles with NO issues. The acceleration was normal and the cruise worked.

3 hours later on the trip home, everthing started out fine. About 15 minutes into the drive (with cruise on), the cruise shut off and the SET light began to flash. I was unable to turn the cruise back on and the acceleration was messed up, just like before.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Do your brake lights work? Possibly intermittently. As weird as it sounds, a brake light not working does make the cruise control not work. Any LED bulbs?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
Do your brake lights work? Possibly intermittently. As weird as it sounds, a brake light not working does make the cruise control not work. Any LED bulbs?
I'm not sure what the brake lights are doing, I haven't checked but I will ASAP. I did just replace my taillights with a full led setup, and the problems started after that. I guess I should take the led tails out, put the oem back in and see if the problems continue. Thanks for the tip!