6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Weekend Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Weekend Mod

I finally had some time this Father's Day weekend to take a few hours and get the ugly chrome accented strips done. I went to the local Canadian Tire and picked up some Black Out tape (had to go back twice because one roll did not cut it) and I think it turned out well.

Pics below (let me know what you guys think) ->

http://flic.kr/p/9Vcg75
http://flic.kr/p/9Vcg6E
http://flic.kr/p/9V9qp8
Old 06-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Nice looks very clean! I want to do this I guess I need to find some blackout tape now.

I am guessing the blackout tape is wider than the width of the strips and you just wrap it around it? How well does it hold? Is it waterproof? These are probably dumb questions but I want to make sure the job lasts. Did you happen to break any clips in the process?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Looks good....
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM

Nice.. I'm plan'n to have mines sanded and painted..
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidIce
Nice looks very clean! I want to do this I guess I need to find some blackout tape now.

I am guessing the blackout tape is wider than the width of the strips and you just wrap it around it? How well does it hold? Is it waterproof? These are probably dumb questions but I want to make sure the job lasts. Did you happen to break any clips in the process?
No such thing as a dumb question buddy.

Yep - tape is a bit wider so what I did was wrap a bit of it on the inside to maximize the hold and cut the excess with a utility knife (that way no need to remove the strips hence breaking any clips). As for the hold question, a buddy of mine who has this done on his 2003 max, 4 years no peeling issues yet!!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM

LOOKS GREAT WILL HAVE DO MINE SOON
Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by tequilateazle
LOOKS GREAT WILL HAVE DO MINE SOON
thanks buddy! - it's going to even look better with those blacked out xenons I'm going to get from you
Old 06-20-2011, 12:20 PM

Got a link or brand of tape you got?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BOOTZ
Got a link or brand of tape you got?
Trimbrite T9005 Black-Out Tape - >

http://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T900.../dp/B00029XD62

I'd get two rolls just to be safe man.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Yours looks really good. Like 9/10 or I will say 10/10, from your pics. Did you have any bubbles?

I did mine too. Mine came out like 7/10. Looks very good to me too.

BOOTZ, this is it, it is called..., Trimbrite T9005 Black-Out Tape. I bought mine from pepboys. Don't know where OP bought his from.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0298&ppt=C0101
Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 PM
KC's FINEST

Looks good. Whats with all the stickers? Any side shots?
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM

So how exactly do you get it to wrap all the way around??? (maybe a write-up on this would be a good idea for those of us that are a little challenged)

I was planning on having mine sanded & painted as well, but yours look really good, & would save me some cash.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM

never seen an orange max before?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 PM

Very nice man
Old 06-21-2011, 05:21 AM

PetitFrereMaxima -> thanks man, i just made sure to install the tape inside the garage as the summer heat makes the tape not stick as well (from what I was told by friend who had this done on his 03 max). As for your bubbles, you can just poke a sowing needle in them and then run over with a warm cloth and it should take care of them. I got my tape from Canadian Tire - pretty much just like Pep Boys.

KCMAXX -> i've had people ask me the same question when parked or attending a few shows around here. It all started with one of my first mods, my tech guy put the decal on the side window just because and I continued the trend.

Last edited by the macedonian; 06-21-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by aarong0921
So how exactly do you get it to wrap all the way around??? (maybe a write-up on this would be a good idea for those of us that are a little challenged)

I was planning on having mine sanded & painted as well, but yours look really good, & would save me some cash.
I was planning on doing the same but after finding out that the cost VS the blackout tape was crazy I decided to give this a try.

Tools used - Utility knife ($3); Soap and water (from in laws house so $0); Blackout Tape ($6 per roll, two rolls used); Credit Card and Car Towel (to fold tape inwards)

Pretty much started with dumping the car in the garage (cooler temperature is better) cleaning the strips w/o anything abrasive (soap and water will do) so it allows the tape to bond better. I started trunk to front as I found it easier. Measure the strip and give yourself at least a few inches of extra tape in case you mess up. Started with the tape facing outside (so strip facing you) and used my thumb as a guide to make sure I don't get bubbles or any over-folds or creases. Your thumb will hurt my the time you are done!

NOTE: -> I messed up and tried to cut the excess WHILE I was applying the tape, BIG MISTAKE (had to go to and grab another roll as I fked up big time). I'd make sure the tape is fully on and then go around with the utility knife and cut out the excess.
Last step, I grabbed a CC and wrapped it with a small towel(paper towel should work as well, or even just the CC) then used that as my folding tool to get a perfect fold on the tape. Be careful and don't rush it as you can get some over-folds or creases.

I hope this makes sense, I was up late last night with our 1 year old so please forgive me if it's unclear. If any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by the macedonian
I was planning on doing the same but after finding out that the cost VS the blackout tape was crazy I decided to give this a try.

Tools used - Utility knife ($3); Soap and water (from in laws house so $0); Blackout Tape ($6 per roll, two rolls used); Credit Card and Car Towel (to fold tape inwards)

Pretty much started with dumping the car in the garage (cooler temperature is better) cleaning the strips w/o anything abrasive (soap and water will do) so it allows the tape to bond better. I started trunk to front as I found it easier. Measure the strip and give yourself at least a few inches of extra tape in case you mess up. Started with the tape facing outside (so strip facing you) and used my thumb as a guide to make sure I don't get bubbles or any over-folds or creases. Your thumb will hurt my the time you are done!

NOTE: -> I messed up and tried to cut the excess WHILE I was applying the tape, BIG MISTAKE (had to go to and grab another roll as I fked up big time). I'd make sure the tape is fully on and then go around with the utility knife and cut out the excess.
Last step, I grabbed a CC and wrapped it with a small towel(paper towel should work as well, or even just the CC) then used that as my folding tool to get a perfect fold on the tape. Be careful and don't rush it as you can get some over-folds or creases.

I hope this makes sense, I was up late last night with our 1 year old so please forgive me if it's unclear. If any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Sounds good. Thanks a lot!!! I think i'm gonna try it when I get some time.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by aarong0921
Sounds good. Thanks a lot!!! I think i'm gonna try it when I get some time.

no problem buddy - let me know if you have any questions.

post pics when done so we can see!!