6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

TOP SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:53 AM

Interested to see the actual result .
however I somewhat agree with revvinMAXto11 based on my experience..
I drove 2003 max and my car 2004 back to back..I felt from a stop 2003 may be a little faster - but mid to high range is better in my car 2004. both have CAI and thats it.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11
Nissan makes every newer generation of their cars faster then that last. what car company doesn't?! it would hurt sales especially with the Maxima being Nissans flag ship car.
Um, the reason the newer cars are faster is because you're comparing a 295 HP 2011 car with 10 miles on the clock to an eight-year-old car with more than 100,000 miles on it!

Look, i really hate to admit this, but I OWN A 6 speed 5.5 gen. My lil bro has a 2006 5 speed A/T.
Miles on your car? Miles on his? If you've recently polished out your entire intake and torn down and rebuilt your engine, it wouldn't be a contest. BUT, I'm willing to bet your car has been driven for eight or nine years, right? Put a few miles on it, maybe?

BTW, we both have CAI, he has cat back, i have headers and cat back and a bunch of suspension upgrades.
I'm more interested in un-modified car times, but there are a million factors that go into how fast a car is. Do you have crappy tires to his Continental DWSs? Are your shocks blown and not keeping your front tires in contact with the ground when the weight shifts off them?

22eggs: You're confused buddy, but that's okay. Let me try and explain: The 2000-2001 Maximas look a lot like the 2002-2003 Maximas. A lot like 'em. Generically speaking, they are both the 5th generation Maxima. They have different headlights ('02-'03 has HID low beams and makes a mean face to the '00-'01s blank expression) and different tail lights, different wheels, slightly different interiors, different paint schemes, and... what was that big difference between the two, again? Hmm... Oh, yeah! Completely different drive trains! The '00-'01s have a VQ30DE-K putting out something like 220HP when new and mated to a five-speed-manual transmission compared to the '02-'03s 255 HP VQ35DE, the same engine in your Maxima (minus a few emissions tweaks) with a six-speed-manual that is very close to the '04-'06 six-speed, save that the '02-'03 six-speed has longer ratios and fewer synchros on 1st through 3rd gear.

For those rather major differences in power, we call the '00-'01s "5th gen" Maximas and the '02-03s "5.5 gen" Maximas. If a 6th generation Maxima is slower than a 5th generation Maxima, something is very wrong with that 6th gen and it probably needs some major repairs. If a 6th generation Maxima loses to a 5.5 gen, it's because the 5.5 gen was driven better.

Now, I realize I have a signature picture of my old 5.5 gen, but I don't have it anymore. It's wrecked, gone, no longer mine. I drive a 2005 6-speed now. While it feels faster to me, I've been driving 4-cylinder automatics for the past three weeks. My new Maxima has about 40K fewer miles than my old one. My new Maxima isn't burning oil and suffering from reduced compression due to those sad lil' piston rings they used in the early VQ35 days. These differences combine to make my 2005 faster than my 2002, but, if you raced a new 2002 SE against a new 2005 SE, there would be no contest--the 5.5 gen has the same power at a lighter weight with lighter wheels and the 2005's gearing for acceleration isn't short enough to compensate for the added weight.

Does that make more sense?

Last edited by Eirik; 07-01-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:16 AM

5.5 gen maximas are the fastest. 6spd hlsd option is by far quicker. Unless someones got a 7th gen maxima 2010-11...otherwise the 5.5 gen rules.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 2kmaxseblack2k
5.5 gen maximas are the fastest. 6spd hlsd option is by far quicker. Unless someones got a 7th gen maxima 2010-11...otherwise the 5.5 gen rules.
I have always saw things this way bc you told me that's the way it was but how come it's almost like half the people think 6gens are faster then half say 5th gens are the fastest I don't get it. We just need solid evidence between the 2 cars stock on a straight line at the race track. That will do some justice
Old 07-01-2011, 11:54 AM

frog man is a ghost, i can't find him, which means we are still no closer to solving this debate unless a 5.5 gen come forward...

[tapping my finger, waiting]
Old 07-01-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
frog man is a ghost, i can't find him, which means we are still no closer to solving this debate unless a 5.5 gen come forward...

It's not a debate--it's just your unwillingness to admit that the car you drive is (GASP!) slower than another car. So what? Who cares? Someone else always has a faster car! Even at the highest bracket in the world, the title of "most-powerful" car changes hands every few weeks, same goes with every form of racing... It's okay to just admit that your car, my car, his car, her car, etc. is faster than many, but slower than many, as well.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
It's not a debate... huh?.. yes it is... --it's just your unwillingness to admit that the car you drive is (GASP!) slower than another car. you give your opinion So what? Who cares? invalidate the importance of this debate Someone else always has a faster car! use a distracting sentence to aid in your opinion Even at the highest bracket in the world, the title of "most-powerful" car changes hands every few weeks, same goes with every form of racing... give a completely off topic, irrelevant, useless fact that has nothing to do with your opinion, my opinion, or the point of this topic It's okay to just admit that your car, my car, his car, her car, etc. is faster than many, but slower than many, as well. and conclude with your opinion again thinking you actually got somewhere with me...
useless...

still, i trust the word of the few people who own or have personally experienced this first hand.. your not one of them, just another numbers guy with inexperienced bias. and an opinion so strong you believe it as fact

ill gladly admit 6th gens are slower when someone with a 5.5 accepts the challenge, and passes me up.

i haven't even officially picked a side, all i have is my bias, im still open to the fact 5.5 gens could have a faster ride, all i wanna do is find out, have some fun in the process, and squash the question with the rest who are wondering..

Last edited by twentyeggs; 07-01-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM

I personally don't know which is faster, but I see some people here have put forward some good points and reasoning. I have driven a 6speed 5thgen and that think could move. But I drove it only for a day. So, I can't say definitely which would be faster.

twentyeggs, you realize you are asking someone to race you. That is not something or a challenge that someone would gladly or easily accept. So, I don't blame frogman for hiding or anybody else who would refuse your offer. Offer them beer and that is great! Racing? Naw! I would be surprised to see who would go only to satisfy your ego.

And to go out to the track or street or wherever for the sole purpose of racing each other? Do you know the capabilities of each driver? The cars are one thing. What about the drivers behind the wheel? For a fact, I know if both cars race, whoever wins, the margin of difference would not be too significant. Hence, I believe that if you do race against someone, I believe both of your driving skills play a big role too in determining who wins.

If the race was between a 5thgen and a 6thgen and the drivers behind the wheels were each called Andrew (behind wheel of 5thgen) and twentyeggs (behind wheel of 6thgen), then and only then would you get exactly what you are currently looking for. Becasue we know those 2 drivers have the same mentality, capabilities and driving skills. So, if you can get Andrew to race against twentyeggs, then ask frogman to take the video and show us.

Till then, I don't think you will get exactly what you are currently claiming to seek.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:45 PM

And while you are out there racing..., don't let what happened to me happen to you:

This morning on my way to work, I accidentally rear-ended another car in the hectic rush hour traffic.

No real damage done, just some paint off the bumpers.

I tell you, I just knew right then and there that this was going to be a REALLY bad day!

The driver got out of the other car and to my surprise, he was a Dwarf.

He looked up at me and said, "I am NOT Happy."

All I said was, "Well then, which one ARE you?"

And that's how the fight started.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM

I don't care what your sense of humor is, if you haven't seen these jokes, you must laugh! Here they go..., blonde jokes...;

A blonde texts her boyfriend saying "what does IDK stand for"?

He texts back "I don't know".

She replies "OMG nobody does!"

A blonde women was driving on the Highway, so her boyfriend calls and says:

"Honey be careful they just said on the radio someone was driving the wrong way on the highway!"

The blonde says: "One of them?? There's hundreds of them!!!"
______

A blonde woman was speeding down the road in her little red sports car and was pulled over by a woman police officer who was also a blonde. The blonde cop asked to see the blonde driver's license. She dug through her purse and was getting progressively more agitated.

"What does it look like?" she finally asked.

The policewoman replied, "It's square and it has your picture on
it"

The driver finally found a square mirror in her purse, looked at it and handed it to the policewoman.

"Here it is," she said.

The blonde officer looked at the mirror, then handed it back saying,
"Okay, you can go. I didn't realize you were a cop."
Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 PM

you know what, im getting so sick of people always talking about it being a drivers race.
i am completely disinterested in this whole point.

i drive an automatic right now, all i need to do is put my foot down and keep the wheels from spinning (not hard to do), and the car will perform the exact same way every single time. this will aid in making variable #1 ( out of the 2 variables) a constant. which leaves variable #2 (given he isn't an auto) to agree on the good performance of his run.

best case is, i get a 5.5 gen automatic so no one can give the excuse "oh that person just didn't know how to drive" i don't want any excuses. if the opponent doesn't know how to drive his car, then the race done to determine which CAR is faster is not a fair race, end of story. and ill have to find someone else.

the difference between a good run and a perfect run isn't so large it throws out the validity of a race. unless the race is extremely close every time. unless your a complete idiot, we can estimate the actual outcome, with how much more we think the car could have done if driven the right way, and conclude it this way. i only see this being a problem if after ever race, both cars tie or come extremely close to each other. all that is needed is some common sense.

Also because i will be driving an automatic, if at any time the 5.5 gen 6 speed wins, then the race is over and the winner is the 5.5 gen, given i didn't mess up (and again, its not hard to get a good launch on a auto so the odds are small that i will) if the cars tie, or come within milliseconds of each other, calling it a drivers race would be appropriate THEN, but right now? give me a break, your giving excuses before anything has even happened!! Unless you have PERSONALLY done this race, and have experienced it first hand allowing you to know that the race is going to be extremely close, you have no right to say its down to the driver. for anyone who keeps saying this, your making an assumption, a guess, and your talking out your ***.

Now, if i can get an auto 5.5 gen to race me, than the whole drivers race thing will go out the window. If one car repeatedly wins in the 6th gen auto vs. a 5th gen auto, then we will know which car is faster without a shadow of a doubt. AND, If we can come to a conclusion between autos, then we can come to a conclusion about a 5.5 gen 6 speed and a 6th gen 6 speed, and which one is faster given both drivers know how to drive, and they both didn't mess up. I am interested in the capabilities of each car, not the given circumstance.

I want to solve this on a fair playing field. end of story. this is supposed to be an honest, fun activity. I'm not going to race, have the guy in the 6 speed say oh i didn't do my best, and then say, well too bad ect.. we race again until the driver says that's the best this car can do and use that race as the deciding race.

so... can we quit talking about this being down to a drivers race? your being completely ignorant by saying its the driver that will determine the outcome unless you have done this before and can say first hand its down to a drivers race because both cars are so close.

Is the horse good an dead yet?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 07-01-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Sir, allow me to deeply apologize for attempting to communicate with you! I did not realize you were so severely handicapped and, again, did not mean to excite you so by speaking on a level we normally-functioning humans share!

Anyway, OP, http://www.modernracer.com/nissanmaxima.html says your car is electronically limited to 140 MPH.

[/thread], IBTL, etc.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Sir, allow me to deeply apologize for attempting to communicate with you! I did not realize you were so severely handicapped and, again, did not mean to excite you so by speaking on a level we normally-functioning humans share!

Anyway, OP, http://www.modernracer.com/nissanmaxima.html says your car is electronically limited to 140 MPH.

[/thread], IBTL, etc.
this is the first time you have ever spoken to me and you said:
It's not a debate--it's just your unwillingness to admit that the car you drive is (GASP!) slower than another car. So what? Who cares?
...not everyone replies on a personal level with an argumentative, sarcastic, and demeaning tone when starting a conversation with someone you have never talked to before dude.. what planet are you from?

did not mean to excite you so
im pretty sure that's exactly what you meant to do.. lol if not, then you have bad "communicating" skills.

Sir, allow me to deeply apologize for attempting to communicate with you!
no need to apologize, no harm done, unless again, you don't mean any apology rather than your just being sarcastic with me and trying to instigate a fight.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 07-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:55 PM

Well I geuss we will all see the day come on the race track between the 5.5 and 6.5 gen. :-/
Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Banned

I think I had the car at 140...I know I didnt get to 150. It gets up to 120 at a pretty good clip and beyond that its pretty gradual. I dont remember if I let it hit the rev limiter but It was pretty poised and solid at top speed...I may have been doing 145.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

And I thought the 4th gen section was bad...
Old 07-04-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
really? all i hear from the 4th gen section is how the 6th gen guys are a bunch of cry babies.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

really? all i hear from the 4th gen section is how the 6th gen guys are a bunch of cry babies.
I wonder where they got that idea from?
Old 07-04-2011, 06:37 PM

Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM

LOL
Old 07-04-2011, 06:50 PM

this was funny to read. I can tell you from experience the 6th gen is faster then the 5.5s. I have raced both and like stated before, the 5.5 is quicker in the first 2 gears, but the 6th gen in top end is way faster.

And correct me if I am wrong, but did they not change the HP rating scale somewhere in the years of 04-05
Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 PM

Damn some people on here are really stupid.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 PM

You people. Little boys and their oh-so-awesome family sedans.

Top speed is irrelevant unless you're trying to thin out the gene pool...

...which isn't a half-bad idea, as long as you don't take out an innocent motorist in the process.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:13 PM

not true.. 5th gens are not faster..

at one of the maxima meets 6 guys lined up to race with me in my 6th gen, 3 in souped up 5th gens, 2 in 4th gens..

i was faster than all of them and not by just a little bit.. all i have is exhaust, and SRI.. i even gave them a head start being that they were in front of me, and i still passed them up. these guys had a lot more engine mods than me btw, so whatever specs say, an actual race won this round.

this was on a closed course....
5TH gens and 4th any 5.5...cause 4 th 190hp 5th 222hp and a 5.5 255 so is it really a race when you got 40 to 65 more ponies off the competion......l
Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 05SickSer
this was funny to read. I can tell you from experience the 6th gen is faster then the 5.5s. I have raced both and like stated before, the 5.5 is quicker in the first 2 gears, but the 6th gen in top end is way faster.

And correct me if I am wrong, but did they not change the HP rating scale somewhere in the years of 04-05
04-05 was 265 and 07-08 they went back to 255 don't know why that was.....
Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 PM

Im around, don't think.Froggman comes in the 6 th gen form that often....
Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by jasoneon
5.5 gen 6 speed is the faster period end of story. 6th gen 6 speed is just a touch slower than the 5.5 gen 6 speed. A 5.5 gen automatic probably isn't as quick as a 6th gen automatic because the 6th gen has a 5 speed auto vs the 5.5 gen's 4 speed auto. Yes I know some 2004 models came with a 4 speed auto but most didn't.
Yeah there is a guy who did a 14.01 or 14.10 1/4 mile stock 5.5 6 sod thought the guy was BS but seen the vid like Damn It....are we talking from a roll or 1/4 mile...
Old 07-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester

...which isn't a half-bad idea, as long as you don't take out an innocent motorist in the process.

Yeah trying to stay at speed limit and not speed to much cash gets wasted and Insurance is not nice....especially when you want to upgrade....
Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 PM

my friends 04 se 6mt stock for stock with my 03 6mt,his car with 60xxx miles and mine with 40xxx no matter from a dig or a roll i always took him by at least half a car length.Now he's still stock and im bolted and now it's a couple bus lengths.5.5 is faster bottom line.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 036mtmax
my friends 04 se 6mt stock for stock with my 03 6mt,his car with 60xxx miles and mine with 40xxx no matter from a dig or a roll i always took him by at least half a car length.Now he's still stock and im bolted and now it's a couple bus lengths.5.5 is faster bottom line.
Straight Beast couple bus lengths.....
Old 07-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Banned

Yea your right, I'm calling out any body in the TN area to come get they asz smoked ....PM me for time/location
Originally Posted by hero782
Only one way to find out

Last edited by Clashez; 07-05-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Banned

Get you and ur stock asz (slow) car out of here old man.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned

you know what, im getting so sick of people always talking about it being a drivers race.
i am completely disinterested in this whole point.

i drive an automatic right now, all i need to do is put my foot down and keep the wheels from spinning (not hard to do), and the car will perform the exact same way every single time. this will aid in making variable #1 ( out of the 2 variables) a constant. which leaves variable #2 (given he isn't an auto) to agree on the good performance of his run.

best case is, i get a 5.5 gen automatic so no one can give the excuse "oh that person just didn't know how to drive" i don't want any excuses. if the opponent doesn't know how to drive his car, then the race done to determine which CAR is faster is not a fair race, end of story. and ill have to find someone else.

the difference between a good run and a perfect run isn't so large it throws out the validity of a race. unless the race is extremely close every time. unless your a complete idiot, we can estimate the actual outcome, with how much more we think the car could have done if driven the right way, and conclude it this way. i only see this being a problem if after ever race, both cars tie or come extremely close to each other. all that is needed is some common sense.

Also because i will be driving an automatic, if at any time the 5.5 gen 6 speed wins, then the race is over and the winner is the 5.5 gen, given i didn't mess up (and again, its not hard to get a good launch on a auto so the odds are small that i will) if the cars tie, or come within milliseconds of each other, calling it a drivers race would be appropriate THEN, but right now? give me a break, your giving excuses before anything has even happened!! Unless you have PERSONALLY done this race, and have experienced it first hand allowing you to know that the race is going to be extremely close, you have no right to say its down to the driver. for anyone who keeps saying this, your making an assumption, a guess, and your talking out your ***.

Now, if i can get an auto 5.5 gen to race me, than the whole drivers race thing will go out the window. If one car repeatedly wins in the 6th gen auto vs. a 5th gen auto, then we will know which car is faster without a shadow of a doubt. AND, If we can come to a conclusion between autos, then we can come to a conclusion about a 5.5 gen 6 speed and a 6th gen 6 speed, and which one is faster given both drivers know how to drive, and they both didn't mess up. I am interested in the capabilities of each car, not the given circumstance.

I want to solve this on a fair playing field. end of story. this is supposed to be an honest, fun activity. I'm not going to race, have the guy in the 6 speed say oh i didn't do my best, and then say, well too bad ect.. we race again until the driver says that's the best this car can do and use that race as the deciding race.

so... can we quit talking about this being down to a drivers race? your being completely ignorant by saying its the driver that will determine the outcome unless you have done this before and can say first hand its down to a drivers race because both cars are so close.

Is the horse good an dead yet?
To the point ^^^^
Old 07-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned

Sooner or later ever body will be on your Ignore List
Then you'll have no one to tell, how you had your mechanic install new air filter and steering wheel cover
^^^
Ignore List, FTW.

Last edited by Clashez; 07-05-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Top speed is pretty irrelevant for so many people. But as far as stock acceleration is concerned...

7gen> 5.5gen> 6gen> 5 gen> 4 gen
(in the 1/4 the 5.5 and 7gen seem very close but I think a stock 7gen has dipped into the 13.9x territory- where the 5.5 is 14.01)

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM

My G35 coupe is faster than all y'all's Maximas. 5.5 gen or 6th gen.

Originally Posted by Clashez
Rochester's 5.5 is actually incredibly far from stock...don't know where you got that idea.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
My G35 coupe is faster than all y'all's Maximas. 5.5 gen or 6th gen.

Rochester's 5.5 is actually incredibly far from stock...don't know where you got that idea.
Line it up

a NWP plate and Y pipe don't necessarily mean far from stock.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Clashez
LOL I hope you're not serious. I guess you never took the time to read through the mod list in his sig. He has a nearly fully bolt-on modded 6-speed. You have an automatic with a muffler that's netting you gains of -5 horsepower because of extra exhaust travel.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
7gen> 5.5gen> 6gen> 5 gen> 4 gen
W.T.F?!

Quick Reply: TOP SPEED