6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

advice... recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM

advice... recommendations

ok so i have a 07 maxima approaching 90k miles... went to the stealership today for a synthetic oil change and they did their 100 point check up and they said i need to do the following...

cvt drain refill
brake fluid flush
power steering flush
also i need to change engine filter and air filter... (where can i find these online?)

should i do all of these things at nissan they quoted me alot of money... i kno i will definitely do the cvt dran refill with them but the other stuff .. can i just find a good mechanic to do that???

they also said my oil cooler hose is leaking how important is that??
Old 12-28-2011, 04:34 PM

Okay i'm not sure if this is your first maxima,but you should know that nissans,especially the VQ35DE egine burns oil like crazy so if you decide to spend $100 in synthectic oil know that you'll have to top it up before the next oil change.

Get the regular 10W 30 or high mileage oil and keep an extra one to top of ever so often.The oil is too easy to change,it's probably cheaper and easier to do DIY.If you're into the performance sound you should look into the aftermarket CAI from ebay,should cost around $275 shipped and the filter is washable and re-usable,and it's an amazing sound.

The brake fluid,power steering and tranny flush is not neccessary but good good as a maintenance for the car lifespan.The dealership will charge you a lot of money to do it so find a good,trusting mechanic and let him do the work.And if your coolant is leaking you might want to get on that,because that hole the coolant is coming out from will get bigger and you'll look coolant faster

Good luck
Old 12-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Okay i'm not sure if this is your first maxima,but you should know that nissans,especially the VQ35DE egine burns oil like crazy so if you decide to spend $100 in synthectic oil know that you'll have to top it up before the next oil change.
This isn't true and any circumstances of it happeing would come from improper break in or abuse not something inherent with the engine. I have 150K on my 05' and it doesn't burn or lose a drop. Also syn oil changes don't cost 100 dollars.

The brake fluid,power steering and tranny flush is not neccessary but good good as a maintenance for the car lifespan.The dealership will charge you a lot of money to do it so find a good,trusting mechanic and let him do the work.And if your coolant is leaking you might want to get on that,because that hole the coolant is coming out from will get bigger and you'll look coolant faster

Good luck
The fluid sale at 100k is standard at the Nissan Dealership. If you are holding on to the car you should change your brake and P/S fluid sometime after 100k but get it done somewhere cheaper. No need to flush out the tranny just change the fluid every 30-40k.

The oil cooler line does wear on the rubber part and the metal part corrodes prematurely. I just replaced mine. If you don't get it done watch your coolant level closely.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Oil changes do them yourself, Wal Mart synthetic oils from like 25-35 5 quart jug or look at Autozone or O reileys for a sale and go somewhere else for the filter maybe Napa or something. I would find a good mechanic to do the work cause it will be cheaper. And I had a 04 Engine in my 03 didnt burn one drop of oil now my 03 Engine **** guzzled it...GL...
Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM

^I agree
Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
This isn't true and any circumstances of it happeing would come from improper break in or abuse not something inherent with the engine. I have 150K on my 05' and it doesn't burn or lose a drop. Also syn oil changes don't cost 100 dollars.

The fluid sale at 100k is standard at the Nissan Dealership. If you are holding on to the car you should change your brake and P/S fluid sometime after 100k but get it done somewhere cheaper. No need to flush out the tranny just change the fluid every 30-40k.

The oil cooler line does wear on the rubber part and the metal part corrodes prematurely. I just replaced mine. If you don't get it done watch your coolant level closely.
I'm not the only member that had or have oil burning issues.I was just making him aware that our engines does have an issue with burning oil.I don't leak oil but I top up my oil atleast 2-3 times in between oil change.

And i'm not sure about the US prices in synthetic oil but a synthetic oil change is about $82 plus taxes which will be around $90something.If your car don't burn oil you're lucky,but i'm sure a lot of other maxima owners wouldn't be as lucky to have a VQ35DE engine that doesn't
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by NIKV69

Agreed with above - Mobil 1 is used on my max and cost is about $60 cash to my tech. I am at 141k (kms) and also have no issues with burning oil or any type of leakage. I would strongly watch the tranny (changing the fluid every around 25-30k) as it will alleviate any worries you might have in the long run about it failing.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I'm not the only member that had or have oil burning issues.I was just making him aware that our engines does have an issue with burning oil.I don't leak oil but I top up my oil atleast 2-3 times in between oil change.

And i'm not sure about the US prices in synthetic oil but a synthetic oil change is about $82 plus taxes which will be around $90something.If your car don't burn oil you're lucky,but i'm sure a lot of other maxima owners wouldn't be as lucky to have a VQ35DE engine that doesn't
Dude i'm at 122,000 k and i don't burn any oil, and i know a few closed friends with over 100k and no oil issues, they did have an oil comsumption problem with 5.5 gen
Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kenjio6
Dude i'm at 122,000 k and i don't burn any oil, and i know a few closed friends with over 100k and no oil issues, they did have an oil comsumption problem with 5.5 gen
Well you can speak for you and a few of your close friends but that's just a mere fraction of the maxima's out there. If his car doesn't burn out that's good,use synthetic, but if it does it will defeat the purpose of using synthetic oil if it's going to burn off before the next oil change.

I didn't say all maxima's have oil consumption issuse or you and your few friends. I said the VQ35DE engines are known to burn oil. I have that issue and that's me speaking from my experience, only he knows if his car burns oil or not.

I'm not speaking out of assumptions,I'm speaking from experience.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:57 PM

I am surprised too to hear some people burn oil. I started using synthetic at 36,000miles after my bumper to bumper warranty expired. I have always used Mobil 1 EP with same filter and drive for 10,000miles before I change my oil. And my car does not burn a drop of oil. Now, my car has 102,000miles and it has Castrol Titanium synthetic with a K&N oil filter. And yes, I will drive it too for 10,000miles before I change it. And my car drives better than day one when I bought it brand new.

I recommend you do the maintenance you mentioned, if you have the money. Regular maintenance is good. I have a schedule for mine.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
I am surprised too to hear some people burn oil. I started using synthetic at 36,000miles after my bumper to bumper warranty expired. I have always used Mobil 1 EP with same filter and drive for 10,000miles before I change my oil. And my car does not burn a drop of oil. Now, my car has 102,000miles and it has Castrol Titanium synthetic with a K&N oil filter. And yes, I will drive it too for 10,000miles before I change it. And my car drives better than day one when I bought it brand new.

I recommend you do the maintenance you mentioned, if you have the money. Regular maintenance is good. I have a schedule for mine.
THIS!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM

My VQ35DE burns oil and it is all over the internet that this engine burns oil. Those of you who don't have that issue are just plain lucky I guess
Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by acercomp71
My VQ35DE burns oil and it is all over the internet that this engine burns oil. Those of you who don't have that issue are just plain lucky I guess
Actually it's probably because most of those people blogging didn't break their cars in properly and were burning rubber when the car was new or some other type of neglect or abuse. If you can find something concrete that supports a defect in the engine that leads to oil burning let's see it.

Otherwise your source is simply people who didn't take care of their engine properly and are looking to blame Nissan.