6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Curious Computer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Curious Computer Issue

So I had to replace my 04's battery at a local repair place. What could go wrong, right? Just a battery...

Well, when I got the car back home, I was opening the door to step out when the driver and passenger front windows automatically rolled all the way down. Played with it for awhile to confirm it was a repeatable problem. Came in and searched the forum and found some vague reference about retraining the windows by running them up and down 5-10 times repeatedly. Guess what, IT WORKED!! Who knew.

Unfortunately, while I was troubleshooting this I tried to go into my personal settings from the settings button for the onboard computer.... Ummm, I've checked it about 10 times now (definition of insanity)... I now do not have a Personal Settings menu option. It goes display, language, beep, maintenance... and that's all.

So, I've called that shop, and they'll be calling the dealer tomorrow, but for now, I have no control over those options, and no idea what they are currently set to either. If anybody has a clue, please let me know. My dealer does great (not cheap) maintenance (although I have a feeling I won't be paying for this problem, somebody else messed it up). But if it is something I can fix on my own, I'd just as soon not take it to anybody.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Resolved

So, next morning I go to the car to drive to work. Out of pure curiosity I push the settings button and cycle through. Sure enough, the personal settings menu appears. Problem solved! How did I do that? Who knows. The car is self healing, or so it would seem. Just needed a good night of sleep.

Now if I could just get it to self heal the shocks, struts, boots and brakes I'd have a healthy car AND a fat wallet. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I'm only having one of those.