6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Exhaust Sulfur smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exhaust Sulfur smell

Hello,

I have another issue I hope I can get help with.

Vehicle is a 2005 Nissan Maxima with around 50,000 miles.

Upon hard acceleration, usually occurring when I enter the highway transition from 40to75 quickly.

The vehicle puts out a horrible exhaust smell, sulfur, windows up or down it smells horrible.

Im thinking the catalytic converter.
My vehicle must not be sealed well to allow this smell into the cabin so easily.

Last time I was at the dealership they told me they can not do anything for it because it does not throw any codes.

I even took the guy for a drive and let him experience it... He tried saying all cars make this smell and basically acted as if it is nothing.
It very well could be nothing but it bothers me and for the dealership to be of no help is really upsetting.

His final suggestion was me purchasing an aftermarket exhaust...

Anyone have ideas or help?
I have tried fuel treatments and running all old exhaust out of the tank.
Regularly maintenanced, thanks.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 AM

no clue, but they sure don't like doing warranty work because they acted like it's nothing for alot of my warranty claims.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 AM

my 2000 max does the exact same thing, and i can tell you his solution of adding an aftermarket exhaust is BS cause this only started happening to mine after i installed an aftermarket catback and y-pipe.

my gut tells me its the cat converter too. im thinking of buying a magnaflow high flow cat to replace it and match up with the rest of the aftermarket exhaust chain
Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Its the Cat converter but before you go spending money on one. I say change up your gas supplier. I had this issue in my 08 max. I was using Chevron (while in TX) putting the middle grade, I got that sulfur smell. After a few hours on the net, I found out that gas companies use sulfer as an additive, some use more, some use less. I have not found out who uses what amount. Anyways, when the gas is being burned and goes through the system and through the cat, the sulfer is usually burned out quickly so no smell. Now if the gas company you use, has a high sulfer content, the cat can not burn it out quickly and thus it settles in the cat and you will have the smell all the time.

I changed gas company (i went to shell after leaving chevron and I upped my grade to 93 while i lived in tx) and after a few thousand miles, the smell went away.

I moved back to NYC and I am using BP(93) and have had no issues since (been a couple of years, 08 max with 80k and counting

EDIT - PLEASE NOTE THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE and what i have seen personally. Could your cat be all fudged up and no good. YES its possible. Also the rear cat in our cars are not metered (no sensor) so it will NEVER throw a code, since there is no sensor.

Try changing things up and see (note it may take a couple of months, please be mindful you stick to the routine of new gas provider and grade)
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey thank you all for the replies.

I have tried using various gas companies and running various grades. I ran super unleaded for a year and still no improvement.

Does anyone know of any way or chemical to flush the cats without harming anything, would this be an option to test.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by IM1THE2KING3
Hey thank you all for the replies.

I have tried using various gas companies and running various grades. I ran super unleaded for a year and still no improvement.

Does anyone know of any way or chemical to flush the cats without harming anything, would this be an option to test.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Just found this searching around no idea if it works but do some research

Catalytic Converter Cleaner (16 oz.) : Amazon.com : Automotive Catalytic Converter Cleaner (16 oz.) : Amazon.com : Automotive