6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

lowered help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM

lowered help

Hello everyone just needed some advice from everyone that's lowered. Currently I'm on Teins and want to go with some coilovers very soon. My question is what are you guys doing about the rubbing on the rear for the bumper support? Right now with my setup I get a slight rub on the tire with no damage to tires or wheels. I have rolled the fenders somewhat and don't see any interference there just on the bolt that sticks out towards the rear of the fender well that most of you have run into I'm sure. The pics show how low I am, I know it sags a small amount in the rear with a full tank of gas and the 12's in the trunk but I don't want to go lower till I know what I need to do with this bolt.
Attached Thumbnails lowered help-collage-2013-05-30-18_52_07.jpg   lowered help-468403_527623963962820_644474818_o.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 AM

Welcome to the rub on the fender club. You will have to try many things before you get it right because the lowering with stiffness, size rims, tires profile, rims offset, and weight you're carrying around i.e passengers, subs and box needs to be put into consideration. That part that sticks out from the bumper and fender will have to shave it a little and it should clear a little more room for when the car sags from passengers.

I don't think you should get coilovers for the 6thgen Maxima's because it's going to be a very uncomfortable ride seeing that you have low profile tires and speaker box with amps. These set ups are usually for sport/racing but that's just my stupid advice. Good luck on the whip
Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 AM

You are not rubbing on that little tab, you can break that off with some pliers thou. You are rubbing at the bracket that holds the rear bumper to the quarter panel. You can shave it off and screw it on at a different location. Also running a less wider tire can help also.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by hero782
You are not rubbing on that little tab, you can break that off with some pliers thou. You are rubbing at the bracket that holds the rear bumper to the quarter panel. You can shave it off and screw it on at a different location. Also running a less wider tire can help also.
Thanks Hero I plan to go to a smaller tire like you suggested to me before in another thread. I just bought these 275's without really planning out the direction I needed to go to get this "flush" look. I'm already looking into some spacer to bring these high *** offset wheels down. So this little tab has got to go. Did you also relocate this screw that you're speaking of?

MrJason I have to go coilovers because I cant afford bags like I want, so for now the coilovers will do the trick. The Tein's and 20's already took all the "comfort" out of the ride as it is.

Sorry for the late response back to my own thread as well. It was a busy fathers day weekend, and I replaced 3 motor mounts on the MAX.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM

Please don't take any offense when I say this but why would you want to lower your car if its just going to give you problems? I know it does look good but is it worth it?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Borker
Please don't take any offense when I say this but why would you want to lower your car if its just going to give you problems? I know it does look good but is it worth it?
No offense taken, its just what I like. I have never owned a car that looks like someone else's at a stop light. I think if you do it right the problems will not be there. It's people cutting corners that bring out the bad.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by jperez77
So this little tab has got to go. Did you also relocate this screw that you're speaking of?
Yes, you'll have to drill a new hole an inch or two away and use a nut and bolt to hold the bumper to the fender. You'll also have to cut some of your fender liner off, especially the part that covers the original location of the screw because it sticks out so much into the wheel well. Here I cut off that portion of the fender liner and you can see how the screw and bracket protrude into the well.

Name:  bc26f682.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  38.9 KB
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jperez77
Thanks Hero I plan to go to a smaller tire like you suggested to me before in another thread. I just bought these 275's without really planning out the direction I needed to go to get this "flush" look. I'm already looking into some spacer to bring these high *** offset wheels down. So this little tab has got to go. Did you also relocate this screw that you're speaking of?

MrJason I have to go coilovers because I cant afford bags like I want, so for now the coilovers will do the trick. The Tein's and 20's already took all the "comfort" out of the ride as it is.

Sorry for the late response back to my own thread as well. It was a busy fathers day weekend, and I replaced 3 motor mounts on the MAX.
My reply was just to inform you of the issues you will face in the future. There's no first time getting it right when you're lowering a car so if you think you're gonna fold the fenders, shave the tabs, drill a new hole then you have your work cut out. Everyone have different suspension setup, offset, tires, adjustment and load e.i speakers size box etc. But that's why the org is in place for us, which is to be aware and learn when it does. Good luck brutha.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:25 PM

Thanks joecurr for the pic!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 PM

hero and joecurr are right. i did the same thing when i went with wider wheels.