6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New maxi owner need some serious help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New maxi owner need some serious help.

I recently bought a 2006 sl with 94000 miles car drives real nice and strong i like that but now im having second doubts on getting the car. Its been 3 weeks since i own the car and i feel as if the car is showing signs of maybe transmission problem. While driving the car i would feel a slight kick while accelerating and when changing gear and when applying on the breaks. It doesnt do it all the time but its been doing it quite often now and the other night while driving i felt a big bang coming from the back while i was about to switch lane . After doing some research on the site i changed my 2 front engine mounts which was broken but still didnt solved the problem. I need help and advice on what i should do next ? My neighbor test drove the car and said the car drives nice and shift good. It might need a tune up or for me to apply one of those lucas transmission bottle to try n help.At times i would also feel a jerk when switching from park to drive but lately it havent been doing that. But on my daily drives i would feel a little jerk here and there while driving. The car has no check engine lights and drives amazing other then that little jerking issue at times. I also took it to the dealer for a oil change where they gave me a list of what i needed to do to the car but they didnt mention nothing about me having a bad tranny.What do you guys think ? Do you guys think i need a tune up ? Or does that sound like maybe the transmission mount is broken ? Or bad tranny ?

Last edited by richyung; 06-30-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:25 PM

The trans is in the front so the bang wouldn't be the trans. What's the condition of the fluid? I would hesitate to add anything but mfg recommended fluid to it.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The bang traveled from the back to the front while accelerating to swtich lane and it felt like the car slipped a gear because it didnt respond to me from me pressing the gas
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM

Take it back to where you bought it and have that checked out ASAP. It could be the transmission but you wanna get it looked at early on before it gets worse. The component to the common transmission issues with our gen Maxima is the Valve Body. But get it looked at because this car is worth every penny.You are always welcome to talk to us in the forum and remember no question is a dumb one. Name:  179699_140597826131992_1408077427_n1_zps9c04f019.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  30.7 KB
Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 PM
oem ftw!

Welcome to the 6th gen. Sorry that your experience has gotten off to a rough start. You seem to have a faulty valve body, as Chris Alexander has stated. Extremely common problem around here. Have it checked out at a transmission shop, and change the valve body and camshaft position sensors (common failure as well) if necessary. Good luck man.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unfortunately i bought it off someone i cant bring it back.i wanted to bring to the shop so they can scan it altough theres no service light
Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 PM

They sold it knowing that it had a developing issue in the transmission that's what it sounds like. All if not most car brands today transmission problems are not uncommon. Trust me if with what is going on at Toyota right now with the Camry's and some of their latest models you'd say you got it made. Have it looked at and go forward once it's past and over with it will be worth every penny.
You basically have a Lexus dude!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/worst_vehicles/ Check this out your situation is minor compared to what's on this list.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 06-30-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 AM

When you factor in how many Toyota are on the road NHTSA complaints are so small it's ridiculous
Old 07-01-2013, 04:02 AM

In terms of reliability for their lineup prior to 2007 yes I agree with you, but now Toyota is different. 2007 to 2011 Alot people are having niitty issues with the Camry's. You have the acceleration issues in the entire Toyota lineup(except for the 4runner. The build quality on the products in their latest line-up is subpar. The problems with his Max are far smaller than what's going on over there. Once he gets his tranny fix he'll be good for a long time these Maxima's are solid.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ill bring it to the shop maybe tommorow and see what their telling me. Hope its nothing expensive.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by richyung
Ill bring it to the shop maybe tommorow and see what their telling me. Hope its nothing expensive.
If your valve body is bad, you're looking at about $700-$800 if you get an OEM one from the dealership. Labor rates vary, I think some have paid around $300-$400 to have it swapped out. There is a company called Sunbelt that offers valve bodies for our cars too, I believe they are cheaper at around $600. Level10 is another company that has them but I am not sure how much theirs costs.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM

I recently bought a 2006 sl with 94000 miles car drives real nice and strong i like that but now im having second doubts on getting the car. Its been 3 weeks since i own the car and i feel as if the car is showing signs of maybe transmission problem. While driving the car i would feel a slight kick while accelerating and when changing gear and when applying on the breaks. It doesnt do it all the time but its been doing it quite often now and the other night while driving i felt a big bang coming from the back while i was about to switch lane . After doing some research on the site i changed my 2 front engine mounts which was broken but still didnt solved the problem. I need help and advice on what i should do next ? My neighbor test drove the car and said the car drives nice and shift good. It might need a tune up or for me to apply one of those lucas transmission bottle to try n help.At times i would also feel a jerk when switching from park to drive but lately it havent been doing that. But on my daily drives i would feel a little jerk here and there while driving. The car has no check engine lights and drives amazing other then that little jerking issue at times. I also took it to the dealer for a oil change where they gave me a list of what i needed to do to the car but they didnt mention nothing about me having a bad tranny.What do you guys think ? Do you guys think i need a tune up ? Or does that sound like maybe the transmission mount is broken ? Or bad tranny ?
follow this link, it will answer all your questions.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ml#post8818251
Old 07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Also service light came on tonight on my way home code p0780 shift malfunction ??? . I truly believe the valve body is the culprit now. anybody know a good shop that would rebuilt it in the NY area for a good price

Last edited by richyung; 07-06-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Also service light came on tonight on my way home code p0780 shift malfunction ??? . I truly believe the valve body is the culprit now. anybody know a good shop that would rebuilt it in the NY area for a good price
What do you intend to rebuild? The valve body?
Old 07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes the valve body
Old 07-06-2013, 03:27 PM

yes the valve body
I think it is advisable to have it replaced.

Last edited by Costee; 07-06-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I found me 2 shop charging me 1500 to do the job. I ended up leaving the car with them. I didnt even have to say anything they knew it was the valvebody. They said they were going to charge me 1500$ only if its the valvebody that needs to be replaced. IF anything else is messed up i would be charged additional fees. I feel like i got F#Cked i paid 7800 for the car now this happened n my AC dont even work. Car ended up costing me way more then i expected.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Once you get it fixed it will all be worth it trust me. All of us in the forum have been thru exactly what you're going thru we all know exactly How you feel. The way you sound that was me a year ago. When I bought mine in 2011 I had to fix alot of things I felt angry and defeated deep down. Here I am two years later and it's running perfectly knock on wood.
Name:  100_4650.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  23.4 KB

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just got a called it is completely messed up n its going to cost 2500$ to put one they got in stuck in with a year guarrantied. Now im ANGRY
Old 07-09-2013, 08:52 AM

For 2500 somebody can rebuild the whole tranny it will be over soon stay positive and upbeat it's hard but it will be over soon.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 AM

just got a called it is completely messed up n its going to cost 2500$ to put one they got in stuck in with a year guarrantied. Now im ANGRY
I advise you stay action and seek a second opinion. I got a P0780 too and all I did was replace the valve body. It is already two years ago and the tranny shifts smoothly as on the first day.
Do you have a scan tool? It would be good if you'd scan the car yourself and see if there are other codes as to suggest that the tranny is wholly gone bad.
Perhaps I should add that I got my Max (2006 SL) at 92k miles, and had the vb changed at 96k.
Here's what I posted in another thread here last year from a Nissan TSB:
NTB11-035 April 7, 2011
2004 – 2006 MAXIMA; 5-SPEED A/T SHIFT ISSUES
APPLIED VEHICLE: 2004 – 2006 Maxima (A34)
APPLIED TRANSMISSION: RE5F22A 5-speed A/T
IF YOU CONFIRM: Harsh 1-2 and / or 3-4 upshifts during moderate acceleration from a stop and / or
Harsh 4-3 and / or 2-1 downshifts when slowing to a stop.
Are any one or more of the following DTCs stored in ENGINE or TRANSMISSION: P0731 through P0736; P0780
Replace the control valve assembly (valve body).

Last edited by Costee; 07-09-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Only one code was showing i bought it too autozone P0780. But its already to late for a second opinion because they already cracked the transmission open to see if only valvebody needed to be replaced. But their saying my transmission is no good. They have one in the shop if i want they can put it for 2500. I told them i would call them back. 1 year guarrantied. I feel like im being raped because im young so i sent my uncle in the shop to see whats going on.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Only one code was showing i bought it too autozone P0780. But its already to late for a second opinion because they already cracked the transmission open to see if only valvebody needed to be replaced. But their saying my transmission is no good. They have one in the shop if i want they can put it for 2500. I told them i would call them back. 1 year guarrantied. I feel like im being raped because im young so i sent my uncle in the shop to see whats going on.
Don't know what to say! The valve body is not in the tranny; it's grafted to it. You can only condemn the tranny if you open it. And you don't have to open it to work the vb out. I'm afraid this is unfair. For all you know your tranny is still rock solid. The experience of people here has shown that the re-manufactured tranny hardly lasts.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They give me an option change the valvebody for 1500 no guarranty or get the other tranny for 2500 with a year guarrantied . Tough decision to make right now any input.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM

They give me an option change the valvebody for 1500 no guarranty or get the other tranny for 2500 with a year guarrantied . Tough decision to make right now any input.
If I was sure that they would not deliberately do some damage to the car, I would have suggested that you withdraw it from them. But as it is, it seems you're hoping all will be well after their "repairs." I sincerely hope so too.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah i told them go ahead and do the job i have no choice. i i think i might have to do my timing chain. I had started hearing rattle noise from the front end. This car is a nightmare. I should of kept my corolla save more money n get me a 09 at the auction. This 2006 is a real nightmare i had plans to hook this car up guess thats not happening. Angry nissan customer i dont think i would ever buy one again or advise any of my friends to get one.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Should have bought a Maxima from a dealership (they usually fix all mechanical issues with the car when they buy it off somebody) with a warranty thats why private sellers are cheaper its more risky. Too bad you can't get a second, third, and fourth opinion/estimate on the problem.

Last edited by LandsEnd; 07-10-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Worst case scenario you can always swap it for an 07/08 Maxima they're different they have a CVT transmission instead of regular 5speed Nissan did a few upgrades for the last two years of the 6th Gen Maxima. 2007-2008 are a bit more reliable.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 07-10-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 AM

Yeah i told them go ahead and do the job i have no choice. i i think i might have to do my timing chain. I had started hearing rattle noise from the front end. This car is a nightmare. I should of kept my corolla save more money n get me a 09 at the auction. This 2006 is a real nightmare i had plans to hook this car up guess thats not happening. Angry nissan customer i dont think i would ever buy one again or advise any of my friends to get one.
With the timing chain, you might be alright, I would change your oil frequently and when it's cold out, use a thicker oil like 10w40. I use 15w50 and I am in Washington State. Have been now for about 4-5 years. I would ask the shop what the numbers are off the transmission. Then call Nissan and find out the manufacturing date of the transmission. If it is before 07, you will have the same problems. I had my trans replaced from Nissan back in 05, and 2 months after the year warrenty it **** the bed again. Installed the Transgo kit and have been going strong since then.

Some good reading http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ssion-fix.html
Old 07-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Live and learn my friend good luck..
Old 07-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Lovemycar I noticed you have a Infiniti M how does it ride and feel compared to the 6th Gen Maxima? these cars are twins right?
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
Lovemycar I noticed you have a Infiniti M how does it ride and feel compared to the 6th Gen Maxima? these cars are twins right?

Well I had an 04 maxima and I traded it for the 2007 M. But honestly I wish I had kept my max it's more fun to drive don't get me wrong the M is nice but the max felt more sporty.
And I've had my share of issue with this car it's fixed now but let me tell you I went through hell before Infiniti fixed my car read my previous post.

Last edited by Lovemycar; 07-18-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 AM

Whaaaat you had issues with the Infiniti too? those things are suppose to be bullet proof reliable I hear. I haven't heard of many issues with Infiniti's or the Ms.