6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bose stereo..no sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose stereo..no sound

Picked up an 04 maxima for my wife to drive to work and cant get any sound out of the stereo. Its got the bose stereo and I've checked everything I can think of. Checked every fuse, checked the power to and from the amp, checked every speaker, and took the radio out and checked all the plugs. I know the cd changer is shot because it wont eject cds and runs for 20-30 seconds when you turn the key on. The radio works and shows that its picking up stations but has zero sound. Only sound is you can hear a very faint pop when switching stations and go from 0 volume to 1. Any advice on what to check next? really just hate to start buying stuff without having an idea what the problem is. Its driving me nuts not being able to listen to music in the car
Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 AM

Are you sure the amp isn't toast?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by evertoconquer
Are you sure the amp isn't toast?
My first thought. Fuses okay? Gotta be the amp.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TexasTex
My first thought. Fuses okay? Gotta be the amp.
So you checked all the fuses... Did you check the fuses on the amp itself? I have a spare amp if you need it.... Cost is S&H from Washington state.... Let me know
Old 09-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Banned

Worst "premium" stereo ever put into a car, proof Bose is marketing trash. I went though two units and the cd player still malfunctioned.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM

I ripped everything out. In the maxima bose is not that good. In my Escalade it is real good. Guess they went with the lower end crap for the max.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM

I've had Bose in four vehicles now. Never had a problem.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wheres the fuse on the amp? I took the amp out the other day and didnt see a fuse. po8pimp i might take you up on that amp if I cant figure anything out in the next couple days
Old 09-23-2013, 02:45 PM

nope sorry looked, no fuse... not even inside. These things are cheaply made
Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Ive got a strange question...

On my 5.5 gen I cant turn the radio/stereo off...

It says to push the volume button to turn it on and off, but mine is always on. the only way to shut it up is turn the volume down completely.

am i really really stupid or missing something?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 PM

I have an extra bose amp laying around..
Old 10-13-2013, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cheese20323
I have an extra bose amp laying around..
We've got a 2004 Max too and he lost the sound on it a couple months back. Someone told him it was a blown amp, but where would the fuses be so he could check that out.

And if you still have the extra amp, and if it would work for him, and I'm guessing it would since his is an '04 also, would love to know how much you want for it please.

po8pimp, do you still have your amp available for sale also? We're in Tennessee, would love to know what you want for yours to...if still available.

Thanks!

Lori
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by OWhatAThrill
We've got a 2004 Max too and he lost the sound on it a couple months back. Someone told him it was a blown amp, but where would the fuses be so he could check that out.

And if you still have the extra amp, and if it would work for him, and I'm guessing it would since his is an '04 also, would love to know how much you want for it please.

po8pimp, do you still have your amp available for sale also? We're in Tennessee, would love to know what you want for yours to...if still available.

Thanks!

Lori
My amp is still avail... Sitting right next to me... No fuse in the amp though. I only require shipping for mine. Not using it. Worked when it was installed, now it just collects dust. Used maybe 1 year until I pulled it and all the bose speakers out and replaced em. It's only about 6"L x 8"W x 3"H. Should fit in a flat rate box.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
My amp is still avail... Sitting right next to me... No fuse in the amp though. I only require shipping for mine. Not using it. Worked when it was installed, now it just collects dust. Used maybe 1 year until I pulled it and all the bose speakers out and replaced em. It's only about 6"L x 8"W x 3"H. Should fit in a flat rate box.
And the awesomeness of maxima.org members continues, as my son knew when he was an active member of the group and me also, when like years ago, one evening I asked how to drain the radiator on my '93, and within 15 minutes someone had posted two pictures with arrows on where the plug was.

The funny and embarrassing part is I didn't think to hold on strongly to the plug so I spent 45 minutes outside in a dark driveway looking for the plug that had rushed away when the water pressure blew it out of my hand, holding a living room lamp on an extension cord because I didn't have a flashlight and that was long before smartphones where you can have a flashlight app on them.

I'm 52 and that one (black) and the other one (gray), also a '93, were the two most favorite cars I've owned IN my life. Same son totaled both in a year plus took a deer hit, went to Iraq for a year, and now is a Federal Law Enforcement Officer that loves it because he still has the occasion to drive like a bath out of hell in his job. The last thing he did on his max was change the front end or maybe just headlights to like those on the Maxima's in Japan. But I digress...

The whole point is I continue to use this group as an example still today, when someone is having car trouble to suggest they see if there is a forum online for their car model to try to get help before taking it in to a shop or at least try to be knowledgeable before they take it to the shop so they don't get ripped off. But we've had internet since 1995 in the house, and I've a member of many other forums, all kinds, and nothing had yet even come close to the bar that maxima.org sets in so many ways.

And just asking for shipping cost to send someone in need of an amp is yet just another example.

Yes, we'd love to take the amp off your hands and THANK YOU! I'll check on which flat rate box would be better today with the sizes you gave me, unless you already have a box at home and want to use that one.

Would you like me to paypal the money? If so, I can do to tomorrow as after work today I have two meetings to go too before coming home late, and don't want to tell you today, then I forget. Thanks again!

I knew maxima.org would help determine, like the other guy who said he needed a new amp and of course, I did a search and after reading, also came to the same conclusion. I told him we might find someone parting one out and would have one to sell but never would I expect it to be for shipping charges only. Thank you again, bless you and you ROCK!
Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by OWhatAThrill
And the awesomeness of maxima.org members continues, as my son knew when he was an active member of the group and me also, when like years ago, one evening I asked how to drain the radiator on my '93, and within 15 minutes someone had posted two pictures with arrows on where the plug was.

The funny and embarrassing part is I didn't think to hold on strongly to the plug so I spent 45 minutes outside in a dark driveway looking for the plug that had rushed away when the water pressure blew it out of my hand, holding a living room lamp on an extension cord because I didn't have a flashlight and that was long before smartphones where you can have a flashlight app on them.

I'm 52 and that one (black) and the other one (gray), also a '93, were the two most favorite cars I've owned IN my life. Same son totaled both in a year plus took a deer hit, went to Iraq for a year, and now is a Federal Law Enforcement Officer that loves it because he still has the occasion to drive like a bath out of hell in his job. The last thing he did on his max was change the front end or maybe just headlights to like those on the Maxima's in Japan. But I digress...

The whole point is I continue to use this group as an example still today, when someone is having car trouble to suggest they see if there is a forum online for their car model to try to get help before taking it in to a shop or at least try to be knowledgeable before they take it to the shop so they don't get ripped off. But we've had internet since 1995 in the house, and I've a member of many other forums, all kinds, and nothing had yet even come close to the bar that maxima.org sets in so many ways.

And just asking for shipping cost to send someone in need of an amp is yet just another example.

Yes, we'd love to take the amp off your hands and THANK YOU! I'll check on which flat rate box would be better today with the sizes you gave me, unless you already have a box at home and want to use that one.

Would you like me to paypal the money? If so, I can do to tomorrow as after work today I have two meetings to go too before coming home late, and don't want to tell you today, then I forget. Thanks again!

I knew maxima.org would help determine, like the other guy who said he needed a new amp and of course, I did a search and after reading, also came to the same conclusion. I told him we might find someone parting one out and would have one to sell but never would I expect it to be for shipping charges only. Thank you again, bless you and you ROCK!
pm sent.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
pm sent.
PM sent back...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:26 PM

So OP, what was it?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, did the amp work?
Old 08-27-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by FOOSE
Wheres the fuse on the amp? I took the amp out the other day and didnt see a fuse. po8pimp i might take you up on that amp if I cant figure anything out in the next couple days
I Know this is a old thread but I got a 4 gen max which my alternator fried and problem wipe out the amp .. sometimes it works and sometimes it don’t .. so we’re is this amp at ? Will have a fuse just wondering need to get back the sound
Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 PM

I concur, those bose amps are dog****. They'll test normally with a multimeter and drive you crazy. I got rid of that paperweight and just ran a new alpine system.