6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Replaced battery and still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013 | 02:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replaced battery and still won't start

Hello,

My 2004 Nissan Maxima battery appeared to die. Would not jump or charge. I replaced the battery this evening and still no starting. The vehicle is totally dead, no juice, key fob has no functionality - it's as if I am trying to start the car with no battery at all.

Any suggestions at to what the issue is?

Rob
Old 10-04-2013 | 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Steinbacher
Hello,

My 2004 Nissan Maxima battery appeared to die. Would not jump or charge. I replaced the battery this evening and still no starting. The vehicle is totally dead, no juice, key fob has no functionality - it's as if I am trying to start the car with no battery at all.

Any suggestions at to what the issue is?

Rob
Could be the Battery cables, terminals, BCM, Starter, Key Fob battery dead, etc. You can never assume it is just one problem. I would check the terminals/ends of the battery cables, and make sure they are clean and making good contact. Then I would go through the fuses to make sure none of them are blown. Usually the BCM doesn't just die, it usually starts showing other problems first. What happened and in what sequence prior to this? The more info the better no matter how stupid it is or may seem.
Old 10-04-2013 | 03:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for getting back to me. First let me start of with I work at a trade school and have access to 2 auto mechanics and below are the things i noticed and what they said could be the problem.

A few weeks ago noticed belt squealing at start-up and lasted for about 1/4 mile before stopping. They said my belt tensioned may need adjusting.

Around the same time the transmission started clunking between first and second (not constant), checked the computer and it was giving p0726 code. They said a sensor may need to be replaced under the transmission, may have been caused by the anti-friz leak (fixed).

3 days ago, I noticed at night the lights would dim, slight/faint chirp from the engine then went back to normal. Next day the car would not start. Nothing not even clicking just dead. They said the battery may have a short which may also have been causing the chirping and the trans issue.

Which brings me to the above post. I'll check the fuses like you said. I also did notice a 20a fuse on the positive cable but cant tell if it is bad.

Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2013 | 04:10 PM

Alternator?
Old 10-04-2013 | 04:24 PM

I am thinking it could be the car alarm. Take your key in and have it checked. There is a chip inside that could be bad as well. If the battery is new and all fuses are good, then the alarm and key are the next to check. I would agree with alternator if the car powers up, however seeing that you have no power and the car isn't even on... I mean the alternator doesn't do anything unless the car is running. Might be why the battery isn't keeping a charge, however I would be looking at something other than the battery at this point.
Old 10-04-2013 | 06:08 PM

Would be best to start with Basics.

Have you tested the battery to see if it is charged or not?

You should be getting a Voltage of at leat 12.0 Volts from positve to Negative Post.

If you do, then place Positive ;lead of the Meter on (+) Battery Post and the other lead on any part of the Frame as long as it has not been paineted. you should have the same Voltage.

If you do then I would check the Fuse link on the Postive Cable.

Do the lights come on at all?