6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shimmy is back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 PM

Shimmy is back!

It dissapeared for a year and today I had the tires rotated now it comes on strong between 30 and 40. no bent wheels tires new I know some of you guys had mentioned the steering rack was the magic solution. If anybody has had the rack adjusted as a result of the shimmy or thinks its the final answer tell me about it I wanna hear how its done and the cost.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris Alexander
It dissapeared for a year and today I had the tires rotated now it comes on strong between 30 and 40. no bent wheels tires new I know some of you guys had mentioned the steering rack was the magic solution. If anybody has had the rack adjusted as a result of the shimmy or thinks its the final answer tell me about it I wanna hear how its done and the cost.
Thats what makes it a 6th gen, even if you 'fix' it or think you did, it will come back, it always does.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:04 AM

My 04' Max did the same thing for years! The OEM tires were fine. As soon as I got new tires it started to shake at highway speeds above 60. I had bought 2 sets of tires, Yokahama and Cooper over the years and still had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and the Service Manager actually kept my car for almost 2 weeks driving it back and forth from his home. They tried everything! Precise wheel balancing, adjusted the rack & pinion, steering box. Never did find the problem! This problem lasted for at least 5 years until I finally got fed up with it and traded it in on a 14' Max (I guess I'm a glutton for punishment but I figured how can this happen again) One final note. I developed a severe shaking when changing gears and took it in and they replaced 2 engine mounts at $1100 !!. I thought that fixed it but it didn't. Only had 124k miles on it but it was 10 yrs old so I guess age got to it before the mileage did.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:21 PM

Johnnyru Everyday driving does it feel better to be behind the wheel of the 14 vs the 04? I had to fight to get this one when I bought it thats why I don't wanna give up on it so i'm trying to figure out how to fix this shimmy I balance them then a week later it sneaks back. Overall I've had less shimmy problems and a nice ride quality on larger wheels I had hell with the shimmy on the stock wheels.

Name:  100_8313_zps6433fa7b.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  31.7 KB
Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM

Chris. I think my 14 rides about the same as the 04, although the 14 has a lot more power. I have to get used to the CVT because it's quite different than a reg auto. All in all when the 04 was new, it rode as well as the 14. Also I think the 14 handles a little better and feels heavier than the 04. I just got tired of all the problems especially the shimmy
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Johnnyru I was looking on youtube and the shimmy problem is becoming a more common problem in other brands look at this one on a Silverado i've never had it this bad

ride quality: the stock wheels gave me a soft ride the larger wheels give me a bullet slick smooth glide type of ride. As long as I stay below 50 and above 60 I wont feel the shimmy I dont believe its the rotors because you'd feel it when you step on the brakes either the rack needs to be adjusted or I got one tire which is fairly new that may need to be replaced.

Last edited by Chris Alexander; 03-28-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:21 PM

Chris..My shimmy problem wasn't quite that bad but close! Mine only occurred over 60 mph. The dealer adjusted the rack on mine but didn't help. Some days it would be worse than others and sometimes It didn't shimmy much at all. I really believe it was temperature related in my case.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Johnnyru so on hot days yours shook like a hula dancer mine was like that on the stocks wheels its not nearly as annoying as it used to be.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM

Johnnyru so on hot days yours shook like a hula dancer mine was like that on the stocks wheels its not nearly as annoying as it used to be.

Yeah Chris it shook like a hula dancer! HA! I live in Florida so that means it shook most of the time! Well.... if it doesn't annoy you that much save your money and keep it
Old 04-01-2014, 04:10 PM

Bad ball joint??

I've got the shimmies and noticed my ball joints are bad. Gonna replace this week.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:53 PM

I bet it's front rotors. And no, contrary to popular belief, vibration is NOT always present while applying brakes (this is a special note just for you, experts). You may feel vibration around 60 even while coasting or accelerating. Try upgrading to EBC rotors. Avoid rotors that are sold at chain auto stores, they won't hold straight on this car for too long, maybe for 5000 mi tops.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:48 PM

Since you mentioned that you just rotated your tires, I am inclined to believe that your rear tires have worn unevenly. Since the rears don't do anything except roll and bounce, they may be the culprit. Take your ride to your tire store and have them check them with a depth gauge at multiple points around the tire and see if they have worn unevenly (they will probably do this for you for free). This happened to my wife's car when she went to long between rotations. It will eventually get a little better when the bad tires are moved to the front axles and wear down a little, but it will never be perfect.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 PM

the tires were the culprit i just replaced all 4 now its gone