6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Has anyone tinted headlights w film?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 AM

Has anyone tinted headlights w film?

The oxidation is killing me. Although I've gotten them pretty clear.. I'm not satisfied.

Has anyone tried or had them film tinted?

Tia
Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 AM

any non-clear film (and even some clear films) kills the headlight output severely.

Do a better job with your headlight restoration efforts and apply a UV protectant to inhibit oxidation in the future.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Wet sand the headlights until they are clear. Then spray a clear coat over them to prevent oxidation.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Wet sand the headlights until they are clear. Then spray a clear coat over them to prevent oxidation.
Hmmm... W what # sandpaper ?.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:17 PM

Lowest I would go is 2000 then go to 3000, I think some have done 1500 but just playing it safe.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 AM

read my thread about it.

if you tint your headlights you are dumb.

Last edited by Kryogen; 05-20-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:48 AM

Yes ive done it and no im not dumb. It looks badass if done right. Yes it kills the output. Im redoing mine cause I screwed up the first time. It takes 2 people, alot of patience, heat gun and some skill at putting tint. If u dont feel comfortable doing it take it to a shop that installs vinyl graphics and decals.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:56 AM

what is badass? reduced output? no, it looks dumb. Tinting headlights is dumb, sorry.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
what is badass? reduced output? no, it looks dumb. Tinting headlights is dumb, sorry.

I feel the same about tails. I put in extra bright bulbs just to be sure people see my breaks and signals even in bright sunlight...the whole point of lights on the car is to make you more visible, and help you see the road...period.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM

^^ Help me understand something here... lol... what're the point to windows? Because I'm pretty sure a majority of people like to tint those too.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
^^ Help me understand something here... lol... what're the point to windows? Because I'm pretty sure a majority of people like to tint those too.

Windows are completely different. There is not a light shining inside the car to warn other drivers or to help the driver see better from inside the vehicle...
Old 05-20-2014, 08:23 AM

Really? You're going to argue my point? I wasn't commenting to debate. I was simply trying to open some eyes, so that there wouldn't be so much arguing over if it looks good or not lol.

But since you just HAD to question me... Pick one. If you had a car and could only choose between head/tail lights or to have windows, I'm sure you'd be in a different boat. Catch my drift? Point is, in regards to driver safety they're both needed. And people tint both of them. So to argue that tint is dumb just because it reduces the effects of your lights doesn't seem valid. Considering the same person complaining about headlight tint probably has their windows tinted

Anyway, to answer the question this thread was made for originally... I had the film for a very short period. I had a really hard time applying it myself and thus lead to me removing it. I'm trying the spray now on my tails so I'll let ya know what I think about that if you'd like.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Really? You're going to argue my point? I wasn't commenting to debate. I was simply trying to open some eyes, so that there wouldn't be so much arguing over if it looks good or not lol.
Yeah, I will. Because window tint has nothing to do with tinting headlights. There is no light output that gets affected by tinting the windows, dingus.

But since you just HAD to question me... Pick one. If you had a car and could only choose between head/tail lights or to have windows, I'm sure you'd be in a different boat. Catch my drift? Point is, in regards to driver safety they're both needed. And people tint both of them. So to argue that tint is dumb just because it reduces the effects of your lights doesn't seem valid. Considering the same person complaining about headlight tint probably has their windows tinted
wtf does that have to do with anything?

Tint IS DUMB when it reduces the output of headlights, since THE SOLE PURPOSE OF HAVING HEADLIGHTS IS TO SEE SHIIT.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:12 AM

I have to agree with Amerikaner on this one for sure. The point of tint is to dampen light or UV. The true purpose of window tint is to reduce the effect of light, usually from the sun, so as not to blind the driver when looking out the windows. It has the added effect of keeping the car a little bit cooler when left parked out in the sun, and looking much better than non-tinted clear glass.

Tinting lights is not really the best idea IMHO, because you are compromising other driver's ability to see you as clearly as they otherwise would, and it also compromises the driver's ability to see clearly down the road at night.

Does it look better? Eh, that's for each his own to decide. I think it looks tacky personally, but that's only my opinion which doesn't matter on anyone's car but my own.

In the end though, this is a safety issue, not an aesthetics issue. I almost rear ended a car two days ago because it had tinted taillights and you had to look really carefully at the taillights to be able to see that they were lit. There's no way in hell they could be seen from a distance that would allow for a successful emergency stop if one were necessary.

That's my 2 cents anyways.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM

I'm almost dumbfounded. But instead of insulting you're lack if common sense I guess it's my fault for not explaining it as if I was talking to a kid.

Well little Timmy... when you make your windows darker, by adding tint, you reduce the light coming INTO the car.
The same thing little Timmy, as adding tint to your lights, you reduce the light going OUT.

Now, what happens to your vision in the middle of the night Timmy? When it's dark, it's harder to see right? So if your inside a car at night and your windows are tinted, do you think it's going to be easy to see or harder to see Timmy?

... ... ... c'mon I know you can figure this out.

Alllllright! So, is that going to stop people from getting window tint? Probably not. So why would they stop people from tinting headlights? THAT'S my point. I'm sure whoever tints anything is smart enough to understand (well except for our Timmy lol) that tint reduces the light input/output.

Ok so now I hope that point is better understood. If not, doesn't matter i'm done with you lol.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 AM

I'm almost dumbfounded. But instead of insulting you're lack if common sense I guess it's my fault for not explaining it as if I was talking to a kid.

Well little Timmy... when you make your windows darker, by adding tint, you reduce the light coming INTO the car.
The same thing little Timmy, as adding tint to your lights, you reduce the light going OUT.

Now, what happens to your vision in the middle of the night Timmy? When it's dark, it's harder to see right? So if your inside a car at night and your windows are tinted, do you think it's going to be easy to see or harder to see Timmy?

... ... ... c'mon I know you can figure this out.

Alllllright! So, is that going to stop people from getting window tint? Probably not. So why would they stop people from tinting headlights? THAT'S my point. I'm sure whoever tints anything is smart enough to understand (well except for our Timmy lol) that tint reduces the light input/output.

Ok so now I hope that point is better understood. If not, doesn't matter i'm done with you lol.

Apples and oranges, sillybear.

The same degree of tint on a headlight will alter the light output of said headlight exponentially more than if it were applied to a window. Because the driver is not depending on getting his illumination from behind tinted glass.

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 05-20-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 AM

You didn't read my post did you?

While I don't appreciate your condescension, I'll go ahead and explain it a little further since you don't seem to understand what I'm on about.

When you tint windows, the detrimental effect of not being able to see as well at night out of the windows should be considered by anyone considering doing so. However, the purpose of tinting windows is to allow the driver to see out of the windows during the day without being completely blinded by the sun. So yes, you are right that it does diminish the ability to see as well at night.

We are talking about two separate creatures here though. What's the purpose besides pure aesthetics to tinting headlights? I can't think of a single reason for someone to tint headlights except for the simple fact that they think it looks good. So let's summarize...

Tinting windows:
Pros:
Shielding from blinding sun during daytime
UV and heat protection for interior of car
Car looks better with tint than without it

Cons:
Diminished night vision out of windows.

Tinting lights:
Pros:

Cons:
Diminished night vision down the road due to less light being able to escape
Safety hazard to other motorists as your car will be harder to see at night and especially during the day.
Violates pretty much every State's motor vehicle code for minimum light output from both headlights and taillights

Have I covered everything or is there something I missed? The pros of tinting windows outweigh the con, especially considering that most people don't limo tint their windows so night vision really isn't affected all that badly. The pro of tinting lights is dwarfed by the cons.

So by all means, post another condescending reply because you don't like the fact that there are legitimate reasons why tinting lights is NOT the same as tinting windows. And my name is Nathan, my youngest brother's name is Timmy, it seems you got mixed up in your last post.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM

I'm almost dumb.... lol.

The only thing lucid about your entire statement...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 PM

I'd only recommend tinting them if you have HID bulbs. Also, do a smoke tint (50/35%), no black out crap unless it's a show car or you don't give a crap about the con results.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:49 PM

Did I hear stupid mod? Nice argument BTW, but you guys are wrong. It becomes a stupid mod only if done wrong, but if done correctly:
Name:  IMG_5132.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  1.83 MB
(sorry couldn't find smaller pic)

You want to do this ^^ to your car, make it nice!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Did I hear stupid mod? Nice argument BTW, but you guys are wrong. It becomes a stupid mod only if done wrong, but if done correctly:

(sorry couldn't find smaller pic)

You want to do this ^^ to your car, make it nice!

I stand so humbly corrected.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM

so I'll let ya know what I think about that if you'd like.
Yes, I would .. Thanks for redirecting back to my question
Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by dfj240
You didn't read my post did you?

While I don't appreciate your condescension, I'll go ahead and explain it a little further since you don't seem to understand what I'm on about.

When you tint windows, the detrimental effect of not being able to see as well at night out of the windows should be considered by anyone considering doing so. However, the purpose of tinting windows is to allow the driver to see out of the windows during the day without being completely blinded by the sun. So yes, you are right that it does diminish the ability to see as well at night.

We are talking about two separate creatures here though. What's the purpose besides pure aesthetics to tinting headlights? I can't think of a single reason for someone to tint headlights except for the simple fact that they think it looks good. So let's summarize...

Tinting windows:
Pros:
Shielding from blinding sun during daytime
UV and heat protection for interior of car

Cons:
Diminished night vision out of windows.

Tinting lights:
Pros:

Cons:
Diminished night vision down the road due to less light being able to escape
Safety hazard to other motorists as your car will be harder to see at night and especially during the day.
Violates pretty much every State's motor vehicle code for minimum light output from both headlights and taillights

Have I covered everything or is there something I missed? The pros of tinting windows outweigh the con, especially considering that most people don't limo tint their windows so night vision really isn't affected all that badly. The pro of tinting lights is dwarfed by the cons.

So by all means, post another condescending reply because you don't like the fact that there are legitimate reasons why tinting lights is NOT the same as tinting windows. And my name is Nathan, my youngest brother's name is Timmy, it seems you got mixed up in your last post.
Agreed.
In short, having tinted windows (as anyone with tinted windows will tell you) seriously diminishes ones ability to see out at night, especially when cornering. There's not much you can do about this short of rolling down your windows..
On the other hand; tinted headlight lenses diminish light output...
Now, one can compensate; increasing bulb strength, increasing following distances, high beams where applicable, fog lights, driving lights, etc.
So.... In the compare/contrast; windows are [obviously] worse.. But more common than tinted front lenses, right?!?!
I'm off my soapbox now, so can [some of us] get back to my original question .

Last edited by FrankfordMaxima; 05-21-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Changed this comment to "AGREE post" to that already posted
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Nobody is asking what you think. Why comment on things your not into or even like. Your opinion isn't worth anything except to yourself. Go read a lawnmower magazine old man