6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Contemplating purchasing a creampuff need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Contemplating purchasing a creampuff need opinions.

First off, Hi to all! :-)
Im not sure if this is the (go to) Maxima place on the web but, hoping so.
Back story:
Second car ever was a very well kept white 93 maxima, great purchase, solid car, ran like a clock, comfortable, seemed reliable.... I was 19. I then saw an Acura Legend Coupe while going out to purchase aftermarket wheels for the Maxima.... long story short 3 days later i drove home with the Acura on aftermarket wheels and the rest is history. In somr ways deep down i have unfinished business with Maximas, i always low key liked them up until the 7th Gen. Never liked the front ends on the 6th gen Gen have nice backends and sleek profiles over all and pretty nice interiors.....
(ANYHOW) lol....

I just had my second legend coupe 5spd totaled by someone who ran a stop sign.

As im going through ads for a replacememt vehicle. (Legend, Acura RL,) I figure eh let me see what i can find for Maximas in my area. I stumbled across a one owner black on black 04 SE 6spd with 48k.

I also am very thorough with research but figured id try saving some time with first hand feed back. I also know first year cars can be infamous for quirks and problems. Aside from all of that what Ive seen has been mixed reviews on the 6th gen Maxima in general on consumer review sites.

Some people seem to luck out and yet an overwhelming amount have a variety of complaints of random things breaking or going bad having lots of "big money" premature maintenance costs.

What are your thoughts on the 04 maximas where does the SE sit in the trim levels? How reliable are the MT on these things, what are known issues with this year and or car, are there any recalls i need to be aware and whats the general perception on these cars in the Community?

Why should I or shouldnt I pull the trigger.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by RatherUneeq82; 07-30-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 PM

On the 6 gen, the manual is definitely more reliable than the auto. Many auto models have valve body problems that will have to be fixed. The auto transmission problems have landed this car with extremely low ratings on most sites I've read reviews on.

My friend has an automatic 5 speed 06 Maxima SE. He still needs to get the valve body fixed, but he loves his car. It has its used car problems (weird previous owner), but overall, I really like riding in his car. The interior feels more spacious and designed more with "luxury" in mind. Little details weren't as over looked as the 5th gen I have. Rides really smooth and quietly stock.

Last edited by Cotozic; 07-30-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:40 AM

This isn't my post, but how do you know when the valve body needs fix? I also have automatic 06 max.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

eh no replies? Thats fine, i've decided to not consider this Maxima after further research and go with the 93 Legend... Maxima seems to be an unreliable money pit. Loan + unexpected maintenance due to poor craftsmanship = Fail.