6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Jumpy Bouncey Idle and No Acceleration - Limp Mode Soon As Engine Is Hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:51 PM

Jumpy Bouncey Idle and No Acceleration - Limp Mode Soon As Engine Is Hot

2005 SE.

Jumpy idle all of a sudden and no acceleration then car goes into limp mode. This happens more so at slow idle like speeds but it also did it to me going 80mph the other day on the highway.

I took the car to the dealership before and they replaced the Negative Ground Cable to the battery. The issue went away for 2 months. Now its back with a vengeance. AS SOON as the car gets to normal operating temperature. Its done. I can't even drive it for 15-20 minutes. I've been to SIX shops. 2 DEALERSHIPS. Nobody knows whats wrong.

What I have replaced with new parts mostly OEM:

- 2 Upstream NTK Oxygen O2 Sensors (Air/Fuel Ratio Sensors)
- Swapped Mass Air Flow from a Murano. No change.
- All new NTK Spark Plugs (coils seemed to have no signs of cracks either)
- Throttle Body (TPS is on it)
- PCV Valve
- Air Filter
- Oil changes always on time. But car burns Mobil 1 5w30 like crazy.
- Negative Ground Cable
- Right Rear Wheel Hub (originally though it could be ABS Speed Sensor there too but nope)
- Power Steering High Pressure hose (aftermarket POS) and OEM Pressure Sensor Switch (now I have that lovely little whine that most people get with the aftermarket hose lol)
- Did 2 idle relearns at the dealership too

I've done all of this to my car in 6 months. I just bought this car last Sept. I'm pretty ****ing pissed off. I've spent more than I paid for the car in repairs and rental cars since I bought it. I miss my 4th gens.

I saw someone mention they re-grounded the MAF. But I haven't tried that myself. But still. this only seems to happen soon as car gets hot.

Alternator ground wire strap or whatever I have asked the mechanic to look at and he says its good.

I have a crack in my exhaust where the downstream right side O2 sits. Giving me a code for that O2. Where that pre cat is. But that surely couldn't be the issue could it? Why would this cause limp mode. Unless that cat was totally clogged as well or something?

PLEASE. No codes are coming up other than the downstream O2 P1273 but I know thats because of the crack in the exhaust right beside it. Everyone says not to buy aftermarket Cats either because then it wont pass emissions. I'm in Toronto, Canada.

Could this be caused by a vaccuum leak maybe by the valve cover or intake gasket idk? Metal expands when hot yes so maybe its making a tiny crack soon as engine is hot causing vaccum leak somewhere? This could happen with old hoses too I'm assuming?

Last edited by worldwiderecognized; 08-18-2016 at 02:57 PM.