6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

AC compressor always engaged

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:43 PM

AC compressor always engaged

hi, I'm new to this forum, greetings to everyone.
I require some expert opinion to address and rectify an issue with the ac compressor which always stays engaged ( the ac clutch always engaged). if I turn of the AC in the console it doesnt turn of the compressor. only way I can disengage the clutch is by removing the fuse! I checked if the ac compressor power is jumped but it is not. if there is no refrigerent, the ac compressor clutch will not enage and also if the refrigerent is over till it will also disengage the clutch as it suppose to be. however once the right amount of freon is present the ac clutch always engaged. please can anilybody give me an idea what could be the issue and how to fix it? it should be noted that the amibeint temperature sensor is missing and outside temp always read 131 degree but still dosent explain why the ac compressor always stays engaged.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 PM

What year is it?

Here's a link to the service manual.
Select "atc.pdf" and scroll to page 34.
https://nicoclub.com/FSM/Maxima/2008_Maxima/

This will tell you how to run an a/c system self diagnostic and has some other very useful diagrams.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:27 PM

This sounds like a short somewhere in a harness or relays/fuseboxes. Look for any signs of non-factory wiring too.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by mustang86
hi, I'm new to this forum, greetings to everyone.
I require some expert opinion to address and rectify an issue with the ac compressor which always stays engaged ( the ac clutch always engaged). if I turn of the AC in the console it doesnt turn of the compressor. only way I can disengage the clutch is by removing the fuse! I checked if the ac compressor power is jumped but it is not. if there is no refrigerent, the ac compressor clutch will not enage and also if the refrigerent is over till it will also disengage the clutch as it suppose to be. however once the right amount of freon is present the ac clutch always engaged. please can anilybody give me an idea what could be the issue and how to fix it? it should be noted that the amibeint temperature sensor is missing and outside temp always read 131 degree but still dosent explain why the ac compressor always stays engaged.
Is there a a/c relay?