6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Power Steering..

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Power Steering..

Hello. I see that problems with the power steering in these cars seems to be a pretty regular occurrence. I have the symptom of when car is cold, the steering will feel like the belt is slipping. Turn the wheel and it will assist, then grab...assist and then grab... After a few minutes of driving, the power steering will be fine. Until yesterday.. the effort to turn the wheel (even after warm) seems to be slightly more than it used to be. I am just afraid that the pump is slowly dying. The fluid level is good, but the last part to this issue is...what color should the fluid be? Normally in other cars I see a fluid that is relatively see through, similar to brake fluid or transmission fluid.. The fluid in my 07 Max is very dark. Almost black with a reddish/brown hue to it. Like really old engine oil.
My Max has about 102,500 miles currently and all the gremlins are starting to appear like clockwork. (rear bearing housing, sway bar end links..)

First things to check..

1. Belt tension on pump drive belt
2. Check for leaks (doubtful if fluid is still at good level)
3. If fluid is burned or dark because of contamination, replace fluid.
4. Possibly replace pump (last resort)

I asked the question about the fluid because my past vehicles have had some off the wall fluid type's (Audi), and since I am new to Nissan, maybe the fluid is supposed to be almost black.

Any help is truly appreciated!

Mike
07 Maxima SL 102,500 miles

Old 05-11-2020, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

most power steering fluid is a dark cherry color or in that spectrum, but not always. Black is not an option, though it will do the job, it should be replaced---moreso if it's taken on a varnish like smell. I'd hate to say "change the fluid" but it's the cheapest way to start the process of elimination---and then find out it's the pump. A shuddering is usually the obvious; low fluid, loose/worn ps belt, or lastly the pump. A hard steer is usually the pump, failing rack, high pressure line, etc.

Your description is what I refer to as shuddering...pump, belt and fluid is all in one/do em while you're in there type of weekend day job and cheap enough. Nissan requires a synthetic hydraulic [my 05 takes type J I believe], but can get plenty of aftermarket choices that list the coverage usually right on the label...Honda and Nissan are just two that do this, most use their own requirements---and some of the better known brands have good coverage for special requirements cheaper than going to the dealer.