3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Power steering moooaaanns like a B**CH

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 08:30 PM

Power steering moooaaanns like a B**CH

ok i DID search this and came with some results...based on these, what i wanna know is...does the whining/moaning always go away by bleeding the power steering fluid and getting rid of the air?? how does air get into it in the first place?

if the power steering fluid is low can i just pour in some more or do i need to have the whole fluid changed? i checked the fluid level but its all over the stick...i cant really tell what level its at

i only wanna change the PS pump as a last resort.

this started after i turned the steering all the way a bit fast and hit the end of the rotation point with a loud thud.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:44 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Power steering moooaaanns like a B**CH

This has got to be a joke. If not, I'm sorry. You check the fluid by taking off the black cap that says "Power Steering Fluid". You should see a little tiny container full of red fluid. There is a little plastic piece jutting out from the bottom of the cap. If you look closely, you'll see lettering on the stick. One side is for a HOT engine and the other side is for a COLD engine. See if the fluid is within those guidelines.

If the fluid is low, add a little more, then recheck the level. You do not have to change the entire fluid capacity of the power steering. Just add more if needed. If there's too much, then take some out. You'll figure it out. If you can't, go buy a repair manual for your car at any auto parts store.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:28 PM

Go outside and check your fluid level, and then I'm almost sure you're gonna have to add some. Because the day I bought my car it whined when I turned at slow speeds, simple solution, it just needed more PS fluid.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:16 AM

Aaron92SE

hehe dude, no its not a joke. yes i know where the PS reservoir is and what the stick looks like and what it says...

i will check the level again as u recommend.

Pezking4...my PS doesnt only whine at slow turns, i can also hear it clearly even when the car is idling at a stop. and it increases with the engine RPM and decreases again

did u have the same problem?
Old 10-09-2002, 08:27 AM

Re: Aaron92SE

Originally posted by drstillpatient
Pezking4...my PS doesnt only whine at slow turns, i can also hear it clearly even when the car is idling at a stop. and it increases with the engine RPM and decreases again

Are you sure it's the power steering then? Have you opened the hood to try listening to where the noise is coming from - since it happens at idle this should be easy to do.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:25 AM

Re: Aaron92SE

Originally posted by drstillpatient
hehe dude, no its not a joke. yes i know where the PS reservoir is and what the stick looks like and what it says...

i will check the level again as u recommend.

When I first started the car; yes. The whine corresponded with rpm.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Aaron92SE

Originally posted by pezking4

When I first started the car; yes. The whine corresponded with rpm.
Pump could be taking a dump. Check the front for grease leakage. I think there is some kind of sealed bearing in the front. Mine startted making noise so I checked fluid..ok. Checked pump..had some whitesh grease on the front near the pulley that splattered around. Now it leaks out the front..drips right on our oh so reliable control arm bushings. It's been at least a year in that condition, so I can't say I'm ****ed about it. One thing I love about my nissan is it might break, but it will run broken for a long a** time!