6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2006 maxima cranking with loud noise and not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 01:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2006 maxima cranking with loud noise and not starting

PLEASE help, any real good mechanics out there that can tell me what’s wrong by the sound it’s making when cranking, and not starting. Any help would be appreciated the sound is in the video

https://youtube.com/shorts/sPoD3jmOc_s?feature=share
Old 10-24-2022, 09:52 AM

Considering the rate the engine is turning over (slow), that battery sounds very weak. Get a better battery in there and then record what it sounds like.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TDGrant
Considering the rate the engine is turning over (slow), that battery sounds very weak. Get a better battery in there and then record what it sounds like.
It’s not the battery the battery is 100% fine. There’s a problem in the engine. Before the failure, while running a driving there was light ticking in the engine area. Some say it may have been the lifters. Then one day while running I heard like a grinding noise and it stop. And hasn’t ran since.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:21 AM

Did you pull dipstick and check the oil?
Old 10-25-2022, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, I have. Some time it would read low and sometimes high. It was weird. I checked it when it was warm and when it was cold. But it was never accurate. So, I always used synthetic oil high mileage. When I did oil changes it would slow the ticking sound down to a minimum but stick tick. Is why people thought it may have been the lifters.

I also tried putting Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer in it…. WHICH MAY HAVE BEEN MY PROBLEM…. 2-3 weeks after putting that in is when it sh*t the bed on me.

I can do anything on a vehicle, oil changes, water pump, radiator, brakes and rotors, starter, but I’ve never taking apart a car engine. I just need to get to the pistons. Is where “I” think the problem is. But, I’m not sure exactly what I need to do. I mean I do but I just don’t know the details like I know you have to take some bolts off a certain way and torque them back a certain way and a couple of other things that I’m missing. Any help with that would also be a big help. Basically telling me that I need to do so and so when either taking it apart or putting it back together. Example, mark this part before taking it out. Or when you put the pistons back in make sure you put them in the same position you took them out.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:15 AM

Considering the age of the car/engine, you might just want to slap another engine in there, David. The effort/time to tear apart the engine + not knowing what you might find + parts are not cheap, you might be just better off finding used engine from a salvaged yard. And if you can put it in the car, then even better.

Attached is the service manual for the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 10-28-2022, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thought about that… but I’m homeless and my car is my home. It doesn’t run of course and has been sitting in a business parking lot… with me in it. I finally am able to work now, and have a part time job that doesn’t pay much. Enough to get me by basically. The parts place that I’m able to afford I must take off myself. Hence, them being inexpensive. And I don’t know enough to just go to a yard and take an engine out, even if I did have a way to haul the engine. Another problem is me being able to lift the engine out and in of my car. Is why I’ve elected to take it apart. Which will allow me some time to figure out the things I need to in order to take it apart as I go.