6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

05 maxima high idle after tune up and TB cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 10:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

05 maxima high idle after tune up and TB cleaning

Im new here so i apologize if im creating a post that already exists. I recently bought an 05 maxima 6 speed, I did a tune up last weekend. New plugs, Pcv, all new gaskets, replaced vaccum lines as needed. My ETB was extremely caked with carbon, likely hadn't been cleaned its entire life (270k). Anyway, I've been experiencing the infamous high idle (1000-1600ish) after removing and cleaning TB. I did NOT move the butterfly plate at all just used throttle body cleaner and insured i kept the sensor portion from getting any cleaner on or in it. I have done the relearn about a dozen times, most the time it will take but ultimately it seems to be forgetting it soon after. I did however notice the TB gate doesnt seem to be responding to the accelerator being pressed when car is on but not started, someone suggested this so that i could get the thin line of carbon that remains between gate and the TB "bore". Only codes I have are the p0507 and a catalytic converter low threshold. Is the idle air control valve cleanable on these or what should i try next? I don't think its my ECU since the relearn works most the time.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:20 PM

The P0507 is actually telling you the ETB is off spec. The only way that I have ever been able to successfully learn any Nissan is through a scan tool. The fact that the re learn on some cars just does not take, no matter how many times I followed the procedure over the years got aggravating. What I use in the Shop is a old *** snap on modis that does this flawlessly. Verify you do not have any vac leaks, and go have this done and roll on if you cannot successfully get it to learn manually. The few times that I have had success this way was after letting the car sit and run for about twenty minutes when everything is up to temp and it seems to work that first try only.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
The P0507 is actually telling you the ETB is off spec. The only way that I have ever been able to successfully learn any Nissan is through a scan tool. The fact that the re learn on some cars just does not take, no matter how many times I followed the procedure over the years got aggravating. What I use in the Shop is a old *** snap on modis that does this flawlessly. Verify you do not have any vac leaks, and go have this done and roll on if you cannot successfully get it to learn manually. The few times that I have had success this way was after letting the car sit and run for about twenty minutes when everything is up to temp and it seems to work that first try only.
what is your opinion about the butterfly not responding to me pressing the accelerator with engine off but key in the on position?
Old 06-14-2023, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by theycallmechris
what is your opinion about the butterfly not responding to me pressing the accelerator with engine off but key in the on position?
It is hard to say why that is exactly. I'm not doubting your ability if your willing to take on a task such as this. What i'm saying to you is that in some instances of cleaning or removing the Tb it just glitches just simply from being shifted,moved or cleaned, tiny increments of voltage happen here so the slightest thing esp on an oem cause this. Sometimes manufactures do not recommend cleaning the ETB not because it cant be but because the cleaner chemical sometimes can wash the bearing on the other side though.. or travel past a worn throttle shaft and into the board however I am not against the idea as Ive done this numerous times my self. How does the connector and pins look at the Tb.? bent pin? wire not secure in connector..? You did say it learns but does not stay...Do you have access to simple scan tool to look at data.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
It is hard to say why that is exactly. I'm not doubting your ability if your willing to take on a task such as this. What i'm saying to you is that in some instances of cleaning or removing the Tb it just glitches just simply from being shifted,moved or cleaned, tiny increments of voltage happen here so the slightest thing esp on an oem cause this. Sometimes manufactures do not recommend cleaning the ETB not because it cant be but because the cleaner chemical sometimes can wash the bearing on the other side though.. or travel past a worn throttle shaft and into the board however I am not against the idea as Ive done this numerous times my self. How does the connector and pins look at the Tb.? bent pin? wire not secure in connector..? You did say it learns but does not stay...Do you have access to simple scan tool to look at data.
I didn’t think you were saying that. The connectors and pins are all in good shape and free of any dirt/grime. Yes i have a scanner that has data stream, it just doesn’t have the ability to do the relearn. Strangely enough last night it started idling within spec and I haven’t noticed any idle surges YET.