7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:13 AM

Thumbs up

In my opinion I like the new look, if I could afford it, I'd own one for sure.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by bonzelite
Nice. If you're ever out in Los Angeles, PM me your info and we can meet up. I'm good about that. I have an online mate on http://clubscuderia.com/forum/ coming out and we've been PMing; just called him in England this morning.

I have a few cars, could advise you on where to go, have a beer. I know places to see awesome gatherings of all kinds of cars. You'd be busy
Cool bro, sounds like a potential plan
Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 PM

good car.....make it great!!!

1. 6spd manual HLSD
2. make 5% with Elite Package
3. studio on wheels
4. find somewhere else to put maxima emblem on rear
5. move chmsl to top of rear window

Don't call it 4DSC unless youre gonna back it up......We want a budget BMW...ie 3rd gen SE....5th gen SE
Old 04-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Kobra Klutch - I totally agree. Once I began seeing photos taken from higher than chipmunk level, this car looked much better.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:24 AM

lightonthehill,

I think once we see it with some different wheels and in different colors more people will come around and like it, especially the ones who disliked it initially. I'm definitely going to head to the dealer and take a look at it myself and take a drive. I don't drive like a bat out of Hell, so I'm sure I won't even come close to seeing what this car is capable of. On the flip side of that, if and when needed I'd like to have this vehicle perform as advertised just incase I need to use it.

I just like Nissans, they make cars for "Ballers" on a budget.

Hip Hip
Old 04-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
I am seeing that most of the folks here that are "dissaponted" in the 7th gen are owners of the fugly 6th gen.
lmao , looks better than your girly looking 4th gen stfu , 6th gen is young people car looking agressive , this 7th gen is like a camry for real
Old 04-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
The very differences you respect about the 5th Gen and below are now being realized by the 6th gen with body kits, performance modes, handling kits, electronic upgrades, etc which bring us into the same performance and handling characteristics as our older brothers, maybe if you did your homework about your fellow brothers you would not be so quick to slam those of us who are capable of smacking you down on the street or the track. My Motto: Engage brain before engage mouth!!!

Check out less than an 8th of our DC, MD, VA crew, nothing is alike, and no ones dissing either!!!

Everyone rolls as a Maxima community...

6th gen looks the best there IMO , looks liek a four door Z , all agressive and ISH , and 5thgen looks like a grandpa's car , and 4th gen looks like it's 20 years old already
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Kobra_ Klutch - I agree.

In fact, if the rumor is true that Nissan has plans to bring out a manual tranny as an option on the 7th gen, many of the folks here sort of hating on this car will be headed for their Nissan dealer after all.

But, living in the Atlanta metro area, I gave up on manual trannies almost 24 years ago. They aren't nearly as much fun when traveling between zero MPH and 25 MPH for an hour or two.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by vQ35LIFE
lmao , looks better than your girly looking 4th gen stfu , 6th gen is young people car looking agressive , this 7th gen is like a camry for real
girly looking 4th gen? aww, another butthurt boat genner...
btw i no longer own a 4th gen, see sig moron.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 PM

sigh:::

Originally Posted by blackmax07
Very disapointed. They're making it totally pointless to buy a maxima..You're better off getting a fully loaded altima or a low end G35. The design seems to copy every car on the market. The front seems to take the scion tc, the rear is a camry and yaris..
I personaly think the rear has too many simalarities to the new Beamers!
And if there is no option for even a 5spd i wont waste my time at the dealer test driving it. I will stick with my gen 3. Does the gen7 have IRS rear? And will it lighter that the Gen 6? most likely not!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
I personaly think the rear has too many simalarities to the new Beamers!
And if there is no option for even a 5spd i wont waste my time at the dealer test driving it. I will stick with my gen 3. Does the gen7 have IRS rear? And will it lighter that the Gen 6? most likely not!
I believe that it weighs about the same as the 6gen, and yes, it does have IRS.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

gen7: 3600 lb curb
gen6: 3579 lb curb

each are allowed about 1000lbs extra maximum weight to carry (gross weight).

gen7 is slightly heavier but has more than enough extra ponies to compensate, quite beyond mere compensation.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by vQ35LIFE
6th gen looks the best there IMO , looks liek a four door Z , all agressive and ISH , and 5thgen looks like a grandpa's car , and 4th gen looks like it's 20 years old already
I agree that the updated 6th gen's front (2007) looks good. chernmax's looks bad ***. And you are right about the 350Z looks of it.

Chernmax has the best looking 6th gen I've ever seen, and I'm typically a 6th gen hater. He's changed my mind with what you have done with it. The potential is strong.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:30 AM

So, if you go from a 6gen to a 7gen, and join weight watchers, or run the car with three less gallons of gas in the tank, you've made up the difference.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM

i was thinking that maybe in the future nissan might make a rwd flasgship sedan...the max is obviously supposed to be the biggest top of the line nissan, if you look at the competition now (pontiac G8, Charger, hyundai genesis...) these are all cars in maxima class which are now rwd, and i thought the avalon had an awd model or was coming up with one. The taurus has an awd model right? Seems like all of the larger cars are rwd or awd and perhaps if nissan wanted to follow the trend might hop on one of these platforms in the future...just a thought.

what i want to know is why everyone wants a rwd maxima when they can find everything they want (rwd, sporty, VQ, manual tranny...) in a G35...is it the maxima name that gives everyone a hard on???? IMO i havent seem much of the 7th gen but i seen enough to say i prob wont like it much and for the price of a nicely equiped on id be swimmin in a G8 or somethin.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have to admit that the 6th gen IS a very unique design and Nissan probably could have built off it for this new version. Still, this is not a bad looking car...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Magikone69
what i want to know is why everyone wants a rwd maxima when they can find everything they want (rwd, sporty, VQ, manual tranny...) in a G35...is it the maxima name that gives everyone a hard on???? IMO i havent seem much of the 7th gen but i seen enough to say i prob wont like it much and for the price of a nicely equiped on id be swimmin in a G8 or somethin.
Absolutely...

Simple equation:
Maxima + MT + >300 HP + RWD/AWD = G35
Nissan already has that covered... they don't need two cars so similar, especially when a loaded Max is likely to be oh so close to a G35 in price. Not everybody wants RWD, either. Something for everyone.

Got a close-up look at a couple of G8's yesterday (dark red and black)... VERY nice looking car (except the damn tailights... whatever happened to red tailights??? I'm sick of these fugly, ricey, cheap looking and classless chrome and/or multicolored monstrosities that muck up otherwise nice clean lookin cars... IMHO, lol) The G8's werent the worst I've seen, but solid red (or smoked red!) would have looked SO much better on that car.

But then again, looks aren't everything... in my mind there is a TON of GM baggage to be overcome before I would consider it over a Max.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 AM

7th gen is fantastic breath of fresh air.

It stands apart from the other generic looking Jap sports sedans in this class, with it's huge pumped out fender guards and boxy GT-R-ish front end.

I think the design is sexy and has a stare factor where you notice little things about it the more you study it --a key to good design.

The rumor of a 3 pedal manual transmission has got me even more interested in the car than I already was:

Old 04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Z

Wow, that first shot does a great job of showing off the car's curves on each side. Very beautiful. It's almost lady-like.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by NYPD-Arnold
Wow, that first shot does a great job of showing off the car's curves on each side. Very beautiful. It's almost lady-like.
Thank you, yes.... exactly.

I don't think people are quite aware of how the car actually looks.

This car has so many beautiful lines and design cues I can't see how so many people are complaining and disliking it's appearance.

Have some more:

Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

IMO the new Max is freaken HOT!!!

I still want to see this 7th Gen beauty in a red version with black roof and black grill accents and blackchrome rims!!! Yum, Yum,

Last edited by chernmax; 04-03-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM

The grille is going to be available black, mate. Pics here show 19" wheel package version w/boot spoiler.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Rear lights remind of the 350Z:

Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by bonzelite
Rear lights remind of the 350Z:

I think they are supposed to... and should!

I just wish they would have gone a little further and made them solid red. Not a fan of multicolored lights. At least no ricey space ship metal look like 5.5g or new Altima.

Last edited by jcalabria; 04-03-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
I think they are supposed to... and should!
Absolutely! I'm drawing the parallel with pride and support
I love this new car.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Old 04-03-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by jcalabria
...I just wish they would have gone a little further and made them solid red. Not a fan of multicolored lights. At least no ricey space ship metal look like 5.5g or new Altima.
I think they look fine and very clean, but if you really want to nit-pick, there is this easy mod:

http://www.decalfx.com/red_tail_light_film.html

red tint solved....
Old 04-03-2008, 05:08 PM

I must admit Chern's Max is impressive (fatter spokes maybe?). I'm not a big fan of the 6th Gen but since the refresh they have become more appealing. I might be looking towards a 6.5 for my next car since I'm a bit disappointed with the 7th gen so far. Maybe my opinion will change but for some reason all I see now is GS/Camry/Altima mix when I look at the new Max.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ugly Dash!!!

I was really looking forward to the release of the new 2009 Maxima. When I first saw the photos of the exterior my jaw dropped! When I saw the interior photos I was extremely disappointed. What's up with that "cheesy" looking dash and those ugly oval shaped air conditioner vents? I'm specifically referring to the area under the Nav system. This is just flat out ugly, outdated and cheap looking. Are the Nissan designers smoking crack? Do they bother to test market these designs before releasing them? The seats and everything else inside look great. How could they go so wrong with the dash? Hard to believe these are the same folks responsible for the gorgeous interior in the Infiniti G35. I seriously wanted to like this car, but I have to be in love with the interior just as much as the exterior. I came close to buying the Infiniti, but the leg room (or lack of it) was ridiculous. Now it's back to the drawing board for me.

Anybody else out there agree...disagree?

Sube
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM

I disagree. The interior looks like a mixture of the new FX & the G to my eye. It looks quite nice and luxurious, while still being driver-oriented and sporty.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What about the grill?

You don't think the controls under the Nav look outdated? OK, we agree to disagree, but what about that grill? Too big and boxy. It just doesn't flow with the rest of the car's front. Nissan can't seem to get the Maxima grills right. It took them until 2007 to finally get it right. Then they go and screw up all over again.

Sube
Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
girly looking 4th gen? aww, another butthurt boat genner...
btw i no longer own a 4th gen, see sig moron.
Agreed, stock for stock no comparison.......... A hooked up 4th or 5th gen with a kit dropped as that 6th gen........no comparison they beat that 6th gen hands down......... Its not only that alot of us hate the look of the 6th gen, its mostly others including publications. You go to other sites most hate the look/spirit of the 6th gen.....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 PM

slightly modified:

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sube5186
You don't think the controls under the Nav look outdated? OK, we agree to disagree, but what about that grill? Too big and boxy. It just doesn't flow with the rest of the car's front. Nissan can't seem to get the Maxima grills right. It took them until 2007 to finally get it right. Then they go and screw up all over again.

I respect that this is the knee-jerk complaining thread, but I don't really agree on that. Look at the GT-Rs past and present; they elevate big and boxy to an artform.

Likewise, Maximas have nearly always been boxy as sport sedans, particularly the fronts; that is their roots:

Old 04-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'll wait...

You may be right about the knee jerk response. Maybe I need to see it in person. I'm going strictly by the photos. I do desperately want to like this. I'm thinking about getting one. I'll wait until I test drive it to form my final opinion.

Sube
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 PM

OVERALL I BELIEVE THIS MAXIMA LOOKS VERY GOOD. LOOKS AGGRESSIVE, HAS A BIT MORE HUEVOS, I THINK NISSAN HAS DONE A VERY GOOD JOB.
THE STOCK LOOK IS ALWAYS AN ISSUE (TO SOME) BUT ONCE THIS GENERATION STARTS TASTING THE AFTERMARKET INDUSTRY, WHOLE NEW BALL GAME!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not as good as I thought it might be...

I have an '08 SL that I bought to replace my 05 that as totaled in a crash and considered an Acura TL - but it's wasn't well enough equipped compared to the Max to justify 3 or 4 thousand $ more.

Things I like about the new Max:
Side view; the hood bulges that blend in with the side lines; rear view is OK but not great; interior is generally ok - they improved little things like the ac vents, the center stack is more luxurious looking. Door panels are nicer.
Marker lights on the mirrors - they FINALLY added them - now that almost every car has them and they're no longer very special or unique. I've always liked the heated steering wheel and entry exit memory system - hope they kept those.

Things I don't like:
The grille and front view of headlights - they're just ugly. The grille seems inconsistent with the rest of the car; bulges on the sides as you look down the side of the car; the wheels I've seen on the car aren't great; Gauge nacelle is too narrow and rounded; round steering wheel center reminds me of a Saturn - the Saturn wheel is probably better looking. Heater controls with the little aerodynamic shaped bars between the ***** look very low-end. They put in a BMW I-Drive looking **** in front of the nav screen - wonder what that does? My 05 had the little joystick and it hardly did anything.

Bottom line: I would still buy one of these over a Honda Accord or Camry. I think the new Accord is awful but it's really not in the same class esp with a 4 cylinder.

Last edited by rebound05; 04-04-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM

rebound05 - The heated steering wheel and entry-exit memory system are included in both the Sports and Premium packages on the '09. At my age, I would never buy a car without either of those options.

The 'bulges as you look down the side of the car' are tied to the new 'coke bottle' Maxima styling that tends to emphasize the fenders, wheels and tires and lessen the bulbous appearance some associated with the 6th gen. That was also one reason for the shortening and widening of the car. I have grown to like this emphasis on sculptured fenders on the 7th gen.

I agree with you that the wheels are not the best, but they are still not all that bad. I haven't yet seen the optional 19" wheels. We may like them better.

Like you, I was not initially overly impressed with the grille. But having now seen lots and lots of pics from different angles, I have come to like the grille. And anyway, the grille is something we can find a way to change if we dislike it enough.

I can hardly wait until June so I can see it close up on my dealer's lot.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 AM

AXISMAX - I AGREE THAT TH . . . oops, wrong case. I agree that the new Maxima looks far more agressive, especially from the front. The sculptured fenders reaching out further to the side than the body of the car also lends an air of agression.

But I feel the really strong point of this car will be its handling. The lowering of the engine position, reworking and strengthening of the 'D' chassi, widening of the axles, etc, should give this car great slalom times. And no matter the estimated 0-60 times Nissan may suggest, increasing the HP and torque over the 6th gen, while changing the weight almost none, should give the '09 better acceleration times than the 6th gen.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by rebound05
They put in a BMW I-Drive looking **** in front of the nav screen - wonder what that does? My 05 had the little joystick and it hardly did anything.
Check out a G35, M3/45 or the new Murano, the work the same.

Quick Reply: Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima