7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Constructive Comments on 7th Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
johnsd2 - That is exactly the type of post we need; the experiences and thoughts of a high-mileage driver who has put several thousand miles on this new '09.

Several here have expressed concerns about reliability in the first year of a complete redesign. That is a very valid question. There will always be minor adjustments, etc, on any new vehicle, but it would be interesting to know exactly everything you have had done since you took delivery of your new Maxima. Your input in this area (as well as all areas concerning the '09 Maxima) will be much appreciated.
Lightonthehill, This question has been asked, I forgot where. The premium mood lighting is a little tiny light that is in the front center lights that go on when you open the door, Look up ther and you will see a small hole, at night there is a light that shines down on the gear selector. Hope this helps.

Last edited by johnsd2; 08-01-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM

johnsd2 - Thanks. Yes, I suspected the mood light would be a small obscure one, but had no idea where it would be placed, or what it would illuminate.

I would think you could add the trunk organizer later, should you choose. I added a full trunk width Nissan organizer on my 2000SE when I bought it, and then moved it to my '04 SL with no difficulty. I plan to move it to my '09 when I buy it. I use it all the time (groceries, recycling, trips, etc).

I have YK520s on my '04, and have been very pleased with their performance. I got them on sale at $122 each, but even their regular price was not much higher. They were only sold through the Discount Tire store chain a year ago. I doubt if that has changed.

I look forward to your road trips. My first road trip in my '04 uncovered just about all the problems I ever had with that car, so the last 3 1/2 years have been totally trouble-free.

pearle - Congrats on your '09 Maxima! Thanks for your thoughts so far. We look forward to your experiences on your road trips. Between you and johnsd2, we will begin to have a good idea of the strengths and shortcomings of this '09 redesign.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:18 AM

johnsd2 - Thanks. Yes, I suspected the mood light would be a small obscure one, but had no idea where it would be placed, or what it would illuminate.

I would think you could add the trunk organizer later, should you choose. I added a full trunk width Nissan organizer on my 2000SE when I bought it, and then moved it to my '04 SL with no difficulty. I plan to move it to my '09 when I buy it. I use it all the time (groceries, recycling, trips, etc).

I have YK520s on my '04, and have been very pleased with their performance. I got them on sale at $122 each, but even their regular price was not much higher. They were only sold through the Discount Tire store chain a year ago. I doubt if that has changed.

I look forward to your road trips. My first road trip in my '04 uncovered just about all the problems I ever had with that car, so the last 3 1/2 years have been totally trouble-free.

pearle - Congrats on your '09 Maxima! Thanks for your thoughts so far. We look forward to your experiences on your road trips. Between you and johnsd2, we will begin to have a good idea of the strengths and shortcomings of this '09 redesign.
Lightonthehill, the new organizer goes under the carpet that covers the spare tire and sits on top of the spare, so it is not to easy to get at. They show it on the Nissan web site when you configure the car for options dealer installed area. Maybe I can find one like you have somewhere. Look on your car you might have one up in that position on your 04, it was on my 06 they just didn't say anything about it!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by johnsd2
Lightonthehill, the new organizer goes under the carpet that covers the spare tire and sits on top of the spare, so it is not to easy to get at. They show it on the Nissan web site when you configure the car for options dealer installed area. Maybe I can find one like you have somewhere. Look on your car you might have one up in that position on your 04, it was on my 06 they just didn't say anything about it!
They didn't mention it when you bought your '06 because the one I have was designed in 1999 for the 2000 Maxima, which went on sale in June of 1999. It fit my 2000 SE perfectly, but is not a perfect fit for my '04 because I have the VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) package, which includes a full-size OEM spare tire on a full-size OEM alloy wheel, and this combo sticks up above the spare tire wheel well. But it still does the job. It is black plastic, and has about nine square feet of adjustable compartmentalized space open at the top full length, so it is easy to plop bags of groceries, gallons of milk, two liter bottles of Pepsi and Cheerwine, muddy boots, piles of magazines and newsapers, etc in this thing, and not have them sliding around the trunk.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM

I have a question/comment about the 09 Maxima SV with Sport Package. I just checked the Nissan site and I noticed if you get the Sport Package, it doesn't come with dual panel moonroof or any moonroof at all. Is there any possible way to get a moonroof installed with the Sport Package or does the moonroof only come in the Premium package? Thanks and sorry if this is posted on the wrong section.

Last edited by Kevin319; 08-07-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Every 7G Maxima, even the base "S", has a standard Moonroof. SV Premiums have the dual... everything else gets a single.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:15 AM

kevin319 - jcalabria is absolutely correct. There is no way to buy an '09 Maxima without either a moonroof or double panel roof.

Nissan said the double panel roof is not available on the Sport package because it adds too much weight too far above the center of gravity, slightly reducing the maneuverability of the car at speed.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM

ahs sorry, I thought that the sport package Maxima didn't come with any moonroof because it wasn't mention or perhaps I misread. Thanks for clearing me up.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:48 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Old 08-10-2008, 01:52 PM

I think it looks good in my driveway!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We ordered the 2009 last week and it will take 2 1/2 to 3 months for delivery. We took the Premium Package and the Nav Pkg and added the Real Spoiler and Floor Mats. I note a post here says the added mud flaps but I did not see that option anywhere. Will ask the dealer! Also my concern is I believe it needs "side Mouldings" or other car doors will damage it. (Their demo already had a mark on it) I asked that if mouldings become available they add them. Finally I have noted some squaking here about the price. Your fortunate your buying in the US! There is no duty as it's built in North America but after taxes in B.C. (Canada) it just a notch over 50 Grand ( and our dollar is about Par). Really looking forward to this car.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Thelastking
We ordered the 2009 last week and it will take 2 1/2 to 3 months for delivery. We took the Premium Package and the Nav Pkg and added the Real Spoiler and Floor Mats. I note a post here says the added mud flaps but I did not see that option anywhere. Will ask the dealer! Also my concern is I believe it needs "side Mouldings" or other car doors will damage it. (Their demo already had a mark on it) I asked that if mouldings become available they add them. Finally I have noted some squaking here about the price. Your fortunate your buying in the US! There is no duty as it's built in North America but after taxes in B.C. (Canada) it just a notch over 50 Grand ( and our dollar is about Par). Really looking forward to this car.
Congrats on the car... Color? OUCH on the price!

Is it ALL taxes or is somebody (Nissan/dealer) preying on Canadians because you had become accustomed to paying higher prices (until recently) vs. U.S. and they hoped you wouldn't notice and decided to pocket what should have been a price decrease for you? Four years ago the exchange rate was about 1.35:1 - now it is ~ 1:1, as you noted.

Last edited by jcalabria; 08-13-2008 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The colour is Silver Mist with Prem Charcoal Leather. The price is $44,356.00 and the taxes take it to just over $50,000.00. Don't know if the Sales Rep knows what he is talking about but said with the Spoiler added (which has led lights) they would leave the third light in the back window. Any spoilers I have seen on the road do not have the original light left in the back window. Must go and look at the "Sport Pkg" model to see if what he says is accurate. Tested the Lexus, Cadi GTS (20 grand more fully loaded),Toyota LXE, Acura, and honda civic but liked this best. It is for my wife so she is happy. Does not like the paddles though and wishes they were not in the car.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Thelastking - Are you sure the price you are being quoted does not include things like 'Appearance Package' and 'Market Adjustment' which you should be able to have dropped? Loaded Maximas on my dealer's lot have a dealer window sticker (posted right beside the Nissan window sticker) that adds these things (plus etching, locking lug nuts, etc, etc) that total over $42K, but I should be able to drive an SV with Premium package off the lot for under $33K by later this fall.

You mentioned mud flaps. They are called splash guards on the Maxima. They come on about half the '09s. When ordering your car, they only add $170 ($147 invoice) to the price. If you want to add them later, they can easily be ordered through the parts department (make sure to get the right color), fit very neatly and easily onto the car, and can be quickly secured with screws into holes that are already on all Maximas when the car leaves the factory.

BUT, be aware the splash guards on the '09 are more for appearances than function, and lower the 'mud-catching ability' of ther fender by only an inch or two, and add only about one inch further protection on the side. I plan to add a hand-made hard rubber flap to my splash guards that reaches down about another two inches.

You said your Maxima is Silver Mist? I'm pretty sure that is the color Nissan has re-named 'Radiant Silver' for the '09. It (by whatever name) has always been my favorite, although I love Winter Frost (white) on this '09.

I seriously would doubt Nissan will offer any side protective molding for the '09. The '09 is, by the way, the first Maxima to come without side molding. I always buy rolls of hard rubber molding around 1 inch wide and half an inch thick and mount this just outside the lip of the fenders all the way around the wheel wells. I have done this on ever car I have owned for at least four decades. I will probably design and make side protective strips from this same molding for my '09. This has to be done very thoughtfully and carefully, as we don't want to do anything to lessen the great appearance of this new 7th gen.

As to the spoiler, if installed at the factory, cars with the spoiler do not have the high-mounted brake light on the parcel shelf. In fact, it has been my experience that most Nissan dealers adding a spoiler remove the OEM shelf-mounted brake light.

Congrats on a fine choice. This new Maxima is a real eye-catcher when you see it in person.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM

I absolutely love this car, it is still surreal to me that I own this vehicle. I upgraded from my 96 Honda Accord 4 Dr LX to a 09 Nissan Maxima SV SP. Of course there is a huge difference and my 96 Accord can't compare to this but I'm being honest that this car is amazing. Although I liked the new design of the Maxima, I was hesitant with the design of the rear but when I went to the dealership and saw this car in person it looks so much better, especially with the rear spoiler on it. I got the Sport Package that has the 19in alloy rims and spoiler upgrade and it's is so beautiful. I am one of the few, if not the only, person to have this car in my area so far, I see a lot of eyes and heads turning when I'm driving. The standard features are great and convienent to use, the seating is comfortable and so is the ride, A LOT of space in the rear for passengers (leg room), more than you think. The BOSE sound system is amazing and sounds great, steering is smooth as well as the handling. One of my favorite things about the car is when you push the start button and the engine starts it sounds so "aggressive" and when you punch the gas the thing sounds mean, but don't get me wrong, it's not loud and annoying, it's just... sporty. The only thing I do not like about the car is that the rear windows do not go down all the way into the door frame, when you put the windows down at it's lowest, the window is still 3-4 inches visible.

GOOD: powerful, comfortable, smooth, aggressive looking, beautiful, great features, BOSE sound system

BAD: when you put the rear windows down they do not go all the way into the door frame

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS CAR

Please feel free to ask me anything about the car, I'll try my best to answer it with accuracy, keeping in mind it is my personal opinion.
sorry, pics will be upped this weekend
Old 08-15-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thelastking
The colour is Silver Mist with Prem Charcoal Leather. The price is $44,356.00 and the taxes take it to just over $50,000.00. Don't know if the Sales Rep knows what he is talking about but said with the Spoiler added (which has led lights) they would leave the third light in the back window. Any spoilers I have seen on the road do not have the original light left in the back window. Must go and look at the "Sport Pkg" model to see if what he says is accurate. Tested the Lexus, Cadi GTS (20 grand more fully loaded),Toyota LXE, Acura, and honda civic but liked this best. It is for my wife so she is happy. Does not like the paddles though and wishes they were not in the car.
that rep is an idiot, i got my 09 Maxina SV SP for $33k
Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you "lightonthehill" you have been helpfull. As for price I tried several dealerships and this is the best I could do by buying in Canada. We could buy in the US but the border states are not allowed by their dealership agreement to sell to anyone with a Canadian address. They also threaten you with no warrenty etc. When dealing with a US dealer on a Toyota last Oct. found out that the Parts list for Canadian cars is different that US too and it's the same car made in the US. Problem as well is the speedometer for US is dominant in MPH while Canada I KPH. My wife wanted the KPH dominant and this was the only car we looked at that we could not switch back and forth (digital).

Talked to the dealer and he says it will come with splash guards, and they will remove that third light in the back window.

As for US/Cdn price, all the Cdn Dealers are screwing us. A friend returned two weeks ago with a new top of the line loaded
Silverado. Here GM dealer wanted $72,000. and he finally got them down to $67,000. Went to Denver, had them add a box liner, and a fifth wheel and at the border he had to pay tax on $48,000! He calculated that two of them flying to Denver, staying in hotels, meals and the cost to drive it to the border he still saved $17,000.

The paint is listed in their broucher as Silver Mist K12'

The car should be here in just over 2 months, he told me today.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 PM

michaelle8885 - Very good report. I understand your rear door window thingie. But Nissan had a choice: either have the 'B' pillar at the desired backslant angle that is congruent with the styling of the rest of the car, but means there will not be room for the rear window to go all the way down, OR verticalize the 'B' pillar, allowing the windpw to go all the way down, but breaking the overall styling image. Like you, I would love the window all the way down, but, on balance, I'm glad they went the way they did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thelastking - Interesting info you have here about the border situation. I have noticed for years that our friends here on the ORG who live in Canada seem to be mistreated when it comes to buying a Maxima (probably other cars also).

I am glad your dealer will take care of the spoiler/shelf-mounted brake light situation, and that splash guards will be on the car.

For me, the most interesting thing in your post was the fact the Canadian brochures are not only different from the U.S. ones, but THE AVAILABLE COLORS ARE DIFFERENT IN CANADA! Canada has 'Silver Mist' (hence no 'Radiant Silver'), while the U.S. has 'Radiant Silver', but no 'Silver Mist'. Which also means you will be misled when you go to the '09 Maxima portion of nissanusa.com, which has only the U.S. colors. But maybe you have a different Nissan site for Canada?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There is an add in todays paper from the local dealer offering Introductory pricing for the all new 2009 Maxima. Up to $2500 below Factory MSRP with the ad on every 2009 Maxima in stock. They have 12 in stock. Good for 3 days. Price plus tax, tag and $399 dealer services fee.

I was able to get a little better pricing than that on mine last week and they had to trade with another dealer to get it. Mine is SV with Premium and Tech package, Winter Frost with Cafe Latte interior. Love it so far.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by TerrySC
There is an add in todays paper from the local dealer offering Introductory pricing for the all new 2009 Maxima. Up to $2500 below Factory MSRP with the ad on every 2009 Maxima in stock. They have 12 in stock. Good for 3 days. Price plus tax, tag and $399 dealer services fee.

I was able to get a little better pricing than that on mine last week and they had to trade with another dealer to get it. Mine is SV with Premium and Tech package, Winter Frost with Cafe Latte interior. Love it so far.

Very good deal, and on exactly the car I will be buying (Premium, Winter Frost, Cafe Latte,etc). Only my dealer is not ready to deal, and I am very stubborn. I deal only with my dealer's Internet Manager, and have bought several Maximas from her. So she knows she will have to be the one to 'blink'. I can wait.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:29 PM

Agree

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Not true at all. Both Chern and I said the new Max looks good. I also said it looks better than the 6th Gen.
I think it look great? The lines are one of the best i have seen in a long time! I got rid of my 07 350z to get mine and I am very happy with it!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:20 PM

Totally agree. i traded in my 97 honda accord ex and got the SV Sport Tech package last week. This car drives great and looks so much better in person.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Like AllBlackMax and I have continued to say I love the look and improvements of the new 2009 Maxima and I said it the first day pictures were released, you heard it from me personally and NO ONE better be putting words in my mouth otherwise, the new 7th Gen ROCKS!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by 09lee
I think it look great? The lines are one of the best i have seen in a long time! I got rid of my 07 350z to get mine and I am very happy with it!
Wow, you got rid of your 07 Z to get the Max, why???

I know you didn't just trade up for the looks, don't get me wrong but the Z handles so much better than the Max and though the current look is getting a little dated they still look hott especially when they are hooked up.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:32 PM

i own a 4th and 5th but only the 5th cause i bought at auction for 5000 when they were still at the 15-20k mark and i couldnt resist for that price. since i got it so cheap and only had to put 2000 into it to make it back to perfect, i modded the hell out of it. 2k2 headlights, hid fog kit, 2k2 front bumper, whole stillen kit, drop on h&rs, rims, etc etc. so i have a special attachment to the 5th cause it truely is my creation but i would have never bought it or been able to afford to mod it at reg price. the rear round tails suck and without the stillen front lip or drop the front sits so high all helping to create the overall distaste i have for the styling of it in stock form. i do like mine but again even though heavily modded its still a 5th, and if i actually bought it at book value then did all mods id be an idiot because for that kind of cash i could have gotten a nice g35 or lexus or used beemer for that matter .

my 4th however is the real deal that i bought new and have loved ever since. there was nothing like it on the road at the time it first came out with its stock 16 se wheels and still faster than my 5th. to me that is a real maxima and ill never sell or get rid of her. i love that car.

imo the 7th looks ok on paper but to see in person, what a big *** ugly boat. of course like i did with my 5th, im sure you could mod it but unless i could get it like i got my 5th,at a crazy cheap price id never spend that kind of money on a car that looks like a grany car. id rather just buy a higher end,overall better car, probably lexus or an infiniti.

two thumbs way down for me on all, since the 4th.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:18 PM

I think the rear could use some edge but to call it a granny car? I don't think so at all. I'm a very objective buyer/owner because I wasn't even going to BUY the 09 until I actually saw it at the dealer and was impressed by the look of it. I was all G8 GT or TL Type S but "stopped" at nissan after seeing the other 2 and had to have it. It's a really awesome car. but not everyone will agree.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:35 AM

[QUOTE=2k0to2k3;6689160]imo the 7th looks ok on paper but to see in person, what a big *** ugly boat. id never spend that kind of money on a car that looks like a granny car /QUOTE]

I have been driving since 1949. I have owned dozens of 'granny' cars. I KNOW 'granny' cars. This '09 Maxima is the exact OPPOSITE of a 'granny' car.

I have owned most Maxima gens. My beloved, roomy, trouble-free 6th gen is probably the most 'granny like' Maxima. I would put the 3rd and 4th gens as the next most 'granny-looking'.

But to even suggest this mean-fronted, athletic-looking, sculpted-hood, coke-bottle shaped 290 HP '09 Maxima is a 'granny' car tells me somebody is in desperate need of a good optometrist. We have had around a dozen magazine reviews on this '09 Maxima, and ALL of them, whether they liked the car or not, considered this '09 Maxima style to be an edgy, aggressive one. Whether we like this '09 Maxima or not, there is absolutely NOTHING about it that is 'granny'.

Period.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 AM

And "light" knows something about being a "granny" -- Grandpa that is. I know too, being one as well.

Just because we are both old doesn't mean that we don't like cars that handle well. But unlike "light," I will not even conside this gen of Maxima because you can no longer get it with a manual trannie. Perhaps in that regard it is "something of a granny car !" Who wants a computer deciding the ratio between your VQ engine and the driving wheels? -- only "grannies !"
Old 11-03-2008, 12:00 PM

I will agree with SilverMax_04 that a manual option would have been the 'deal sealer' for the '09 to be considered a 4DSC. Even though Nissan has given us a wide latitude in options for controlling and playing with this much-improved CVT in this crisp-handling car, I don't think the 4DSC sticker belongs in the left rear window when no old-style manual is available.

As for being very old, there is an advantage to being nearer age 90 than age 60; nobody expects anything from me, and even some pitifully minimum output, such as getting both sides of my face to smile at the same time, is raved about by everybody.

Well, back to my walker . . . glad it isn't CVT equipped.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:23 AM
is invisible

Review: 2009 Nissan Maxima, return of the four-door sports car?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/15/r...or-sports-car/
Old 04-19-2009, 05:58 AM

I will agree with SilverMax_04 that a manual option would have been the 'deal sealer' for the '09 to be considered a 4DSC. Even though Nissan has given us a wide latitude in options for controlling and playing with this much-improved CVT in this crisp-handling car, I don't think the 4DSC sticker belongs in the left rear window when no old-style manual is available.

As for being very old, there is an advantage to being nearer age 90 than age 60; nobody expects anything from me, and even some pitifully minimum output, such as getting both sides of my face to smile at the same time, is raved about by everybody.

Well, back to my walker . . . glad it isn't CVT equipped.
....LMAO Light.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2008 Maxima Chrome Wheels

Does anyone know where I can find a set of OEM Chrome 18" wheels (999W1-MQ000) for my 2008 Maxima SE ? I have checked online and found many at dealerships for like $250 per wheel. I would prefer to buy a used set much cheaper.