7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

OK, Who Bought One? What do you think?

Old 09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

just bought my first nissan, 09 maxima sv , so far only 54 miles but loved every one.

paid 34,500 for it

pics comin soon.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:54 AM

Congrats man on the purchase and welcome, Caint wait to see pics, The dealer a went to last week( Car issue) Has one in the show room with a GTR( Surronded by police tape), LOL Don't touch a guess.. Was $34,5 OTD??
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM

The dealer I was at today had a GT-R in the show room that was sold with the "DO NOT TOUCH" signs on all the windows. The sales guys said some bought it on EBAY and was supposed to be picking it up tomorrow. 73K! WHEW!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:38 PM

I love my 09. Very quiet and stable. The look definately grows on you. Everytime I come into the garage I see this Mean Beast before I flick the lights. Very aggressive looking. I'm a Happy owner!!!!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TerrySC
I was at the dealer today but there was no immediate help on this. Their quick answer was that my car must not be "so equipped" as the manual states. When I told them the only options I did not have were the spoiler and the emergency kit for the trunk, they said they would have to check into it more.

I also showed them on page 4-123 of the Owners Manual in the alternate command mode of voice recognition that there is a menu shown that has Tire Pressure as one of the commands (this is in the middle screen on that page). The command Tire Pressure is also listed as one of the commands on page 4-126. However, when I tried this on my car there is no Tire Pressure or Trip Computer on the Info screen as shown in the manual. I also tried those two voice commands and it did not recognize them even though all other commands on the screen were recognized so I suspect their manual needs some revisions.

I will wait and see what the dealer can come up with.
I took the car into the dealer and they had it for the day and said that the manual is wrong concerning the voice commands referring to the Tire Pressure command. On the 09, there is only the warning light for Low Tire Pressure. There is not a screen that shows the tire pressure for the 4 tires. I wonder why they removed that function this year. I can't imagine that there would be extra cost to keep it. I wonder if it was because it caused too many questions when people looked at it and tried to interpret what it meant. As I remember, they specifically said you could not determine which tire was which in the display.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took the car into the dealer and they had it for the day and said that the manual is wrong concerning the voice commands referring to the Tire Pressure command. On the 09, there is only the warning light for Low Tire Pressure. There is not a screen that shows the tire pressure for the 4 tires. I wonder why they removed that function this year. I can't imagine that there would be extra cost to keep it. I wonder if it was because it caused too many questions when people looked at it and tried to interpret what it meant. As I remember, they specifically said you could not determine which tire was which in the display.
Thanks for the update. It doesn't make sense to remove this feature but at least I can stop looking.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM

It's funny because when I test drove the Pre and the sport, the sales guy said you could see the pressure for EACH tire INDIVIDUALLY on the nav screen. I will investigate that my self also.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I am definitely going to have to check this out after driving one. I am currently looking at several cars including the Max, and on many cars the only reason I would want to buy the ridiculously-overpriced nav system is to get the individual tire-pressure readout.

So rather than FIX the problem, and make it so that you can tell what pressure goes with which tire, they decided to REMOVE the information???

I wonder if that info is available from the ODB2? If I can get it from a ScanGauge or if UpRev will add Maxima support to Cipher.

I have been driving along in my Titan and had the TPMS go off. It saved my behind the first time (nail in the tire at the start of 300 mile trip). Every other time it has been a false alarm (cold snap, random weirdness).

Without a display that tells me the tire pressure, TPMS is as useless as a radar detector that goes off for no reason, or a Service Engine Now light that comes on for catastrophic engine failure OR "time to change the oil".

This is NOT helping convince me to spend $10k more than the Challenger (yeah, I know, DCX's build quiality is vastly inferior - you should hear the rattles in my Titan, or see the paint scratches).

I'm not trolling OR giving up yet, just griping.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by JarOfSonicMen
Well, I am definitely going to have to check this out after driving one. I am currently looking at several cars including the Max, and on many cars the only reason I would want to buy the ridiculously-overpriced nav system is to get the individual tire-pressure readout.

So rather than FIX the problem, and make it so that you can tell what pressure goes with which tire, they decided to REMOVE the information???

I wonder if that info is available from the ODB2? If I can get it from a ScanGauge or if UpRev will add Maxima support to Cipher.

I have been driving along in my Titan and had the TPMS go off. It saved my behind the first time (nail in the tire at the start of 300 mile trip). Every other time it has been a false alarm (cold snap, random weirdness).

Without a display that tells me the tire pressure, TPMS is as useless as a radar detector that goes off for no reason, or a Service Engine Now light that comes on for catastrophic engine failure OR "time to change the oil".

This is NOT helping convince me to spend $10k more than the Challenger (yeah, I know, DCX's build quiality is vastly inferior - you should hear the rattles in my Titan, or see the paint scratches).

I'm not trolling OR giving up yet, just griping.
As a non-NAV owner, I completely agree that TPMS is completely worthless without a display (I can tell if a tire is low long before it hits the 28psi idiot light trigger point). However, I think it would only be slightly more useful if it displyed the pressure without a reference to which wheel the reading belonged to. Even if it did indicate wheel position, they would have to be relearned with every tire rotation - requiring a reset tool or the end of do-it-yourself tire rotation.

The real kicker is the fact that the spare is not monitored - its ridiculous to not monitor the most "out-of-sight, out-of-mind" tire. Even if you have a full-size spare with aluminum wheel, you cannot do a good 'ol five tire rotation and extend overall tire life by 20% - a significant difference given the cost of these tires.

Add in the extreme fragility of the TPMS valve stems and you can only conclude that TPMS is worthless in any configuration. Damn the government - always trying to "fix" things they don't understand.

Last edited by jcalabria; 09-07-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 PM

jcalabria brings out the major reasons the current TPMS falls short of being useful. It would be wonderful to be able to read the psi of each tire (including the spare) right on our dashboard, and know which tire is in which position, but tire rotation makes it technically difficult to do this.

It would also be useful to be able to adjust the psi tripping point of the sensor to other levels than 28, but we would still have the problem of knowing what position that tire currently is on the car.

One possible solution would be to be able to enter the psi at which we want the low tire pressure alert to come on via the screen, and also have the sensors numbered #1 thru #5 (includes spare), and have the ability to manually assign those five numbers to the five tire positions via the screen.

An even more exotic solution would be for the car to have sensors near each wheel that can detect which valve stem is curently at each position, enabling the correct display of psi at each position.

I don't see any of these working solutions happening in the near future; maybe not in my lifetime.

What may eventually bypass this situation is the gradual improvement of run-flat tires until we reach a point that tires no longer have air inside them, but are of semi-solid construction.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had my Maxima 3 days.....and

I love it. I replaced an Lexus ES300 that I bought new in 1998. I was looking at the new ES but hated, hated, hated the "red" wood trim. Also was considering the G35 and Acura TL...until I saw the new Maxima.

I bought the Dark Slate with charcoal interior (purple pink stitching on the leather... not sure why they picked that color but its really cool)
i bought the SV with the sports & tech package.

Can't see myself using the paddles but I loved the 19" wheels (I maybe be sorry for that too as I hear they don't wear well)

The navigation system works really well and is fairly easy to use. The bluetooth is clear I love not having that thing in my ear.

I didn't think I'd use the back up camera but it's really helpful.
The car is very quiet on the highway but you can definitely hear the engine when you accelerate. I don't find the ride rough at all but the suspension is stiffer then the premium model.

Also when you shut the car off it sounds like a jet engine shutting down...kind of weird but cool. My friend who is a huge car buff said it might be a blower of some kind.

Things that I'm NOT happy with are having to put premium gas in the car although they say in the manual that you can do 1/2 and 1/2. Absolutely NO regular though as it can damage the engine.

Price I paid was $400. over dealer invoice.
The car cost $34,825. plus tax and license.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 PM

Welcome to Maxima.org jasper! Excellent choice (and excellent first post).

When the manual says you can do '1/2 and 1/2' with gas, what are they saying? Half premium and half regular? Is midgrade not available in some places? I'm a little confused here (nothing new).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM

I've had my maxima since 8/4. It's my first. The manual says to only use premium- but if it's not available, to use a small amount of 87, but quickly FILL up with premium. Also, according to the manual, one should avoid WOT whilst running <91.

MM1
Old 09-09-2008, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mastermind1
I've had my maxima since 8/4. It's my first. The manual says to only use premium- but if it's not available, to use a small amount of 87, but quickly FILL up with premium. Also, according to the manual, one should avoid WOT whilst running <91.

MM1

So it seems that the '09, unlike the last few generations of Maximas, really DOES require premium. I had excellent performance with all three grades in both my 5th gen and my 6th gen (with each Maxima, I go premium a year or two, midgrade a year or two, then regular). Once I get my '09, I guess I will never be dropping to regular again at any point, unless Nissan changes their mind and tells us something different than what the '09 manual says.

I'm still a little confused about Nissan mentioning a 'small amount of 87', as it would seem using a small amount of 89 (midgrade) should be the first choice if premium is not available.

Thanks, Mastermind.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Welcome to Maxima.org jasper! Excellent choice (and excellent first post).

When the manual says you can do '1/2 and 1/2' with gas, what are they saying? Half premium and half regular? Is midgrade not available in some places? I'm a little confused here (nothing new).
The manual says "Use unleaded premium gasline with an octane rating of at least 91AKI (anti-knock)number. If unleaded premium gasoline is not available unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87AKI number can be used but only under the following precautions:
1. Have the fuel tank filled only partially with unleaded regular gasoliine and fill up with unleasded premium as soon as possible.
2. Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.
However, for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended."

Thats where I came up with the 1/2 & 1/2. Sorry if it was confusing!

And the previous poster is spot on....why use 87 when you can use 89. I have a hunch the car would run well with 89. The salesperson that sold me the car said that everyone that has purchased them has used 89...

Last edited by jasper; 09-09-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM

I've driven mine over 3400 miles now and have one complaint: too many rattling noises and loose interior parts in a car w/ this price tag.

Have any other '09 owners noticed if the center console is a bit loose? I can easily move mine back and forth with my hand and it makes a rattling noise but I'm not quite sure if this is what is making the noise while driving -- it may be the dash.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I noticed a rattle this morning in my car but I THINK that it was just from the key fob in the console. I havent' heard it again so I'll see.

I hate rattles and if I were you I'd have it back to the dealer in a heartbeat!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM

I don't hear anything at all on decent pavement of course but once I hit any kind of rough surface I can easily hear it when the stereo is off. It's driving me nuts.

I just took out everything out of my center console compartment and even removed the ipod connector cable. I took it for a drive and the rattle is still there.

My passenger side seatbelt also makes noise hitting either the side of the seat or the side of the car. Am I being too picky? LOL. Hate, hate, hate interior noises.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 AM

I'm new to the forum and I'm on the market for an '09, but I don't know what color to choose, it's between Dark Slate and Super Black. What are the pro's and con's of each?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 AM

Dark colors look tremendous if maintained. But every imperfection (nick, scratch, swirl) is magnified. I'll be returning to a light color (silver or white) on my next purchase.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by pearle
I don't hear anything at all on decent pavement of course but once I hit any kind of rough surface I can easily hear it when the stereo is off. It's driving me nuts.

I just took out everything out of my center console compartment and even removed the ipod connector cable. I took it for a drive and the rattle is still there.

My passenger side seatbelt also makes noise hitting either the side of the seat or the side of the car. Am I being too picky? LOL. Hate, hate, hate interior noises.

I will not tolerate a rattle. Well, maybe if the road surface is obviously cruddy. But when I hear one, I put my wife behind the wheel and become plastic man if necessary in order to contort to where I can find the rattle. Such rattles as those in the console or seats or seat belts or even doors are usually fairly easy to fix. The rattles that really bug me are those inside the dash, where I can't get to them. I will bug a dealer to death before continuing to operate the car with a dash rattle.

This is the first rattle I have seen mentioned here on the '09.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I will not tolerate a rattle. Well, maybe if the road surface is obviously cruddy. But when I hear one, I put my wife behind the wheel and become plastic man if necessary in order to contort to where I can find the rattle. Such rattles as those in the console or seats or seat belts or even doors are usually fairly easy to fix. The rattles that really bug me are those inside the dash, where I can't get to them. I will bug a dealer to death before continuing to operate the car with a dash rattle.

This is the first rattle I have seen mentioned here on the '09.
Ok, good to know I'm not alone. I should mention I have the Sport model. The stiffer suspension probably contributes to this problem due to increased in cabin vibration. I need to go in for my first service appointment in a couple of days and I'll be sure to bring this up to the dealer.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 AM

FYI, according to Les Schwab (after pulling a wheel off my car), the offset for the stock 2009 19x8 rims is +50mm - apparently quite a change from previous generations where I think the offset was in the 35-42mm range. I'm slightly skeptical of this since I've also heard some people say that there were no changes. Can anyone confirm this offset number?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No more rattle...

Happy to report that the rattle that I thought was my key fob, probably was, as there is no more rattle. YEA!

As far as color....
My last car (ES300) was black and I loved the color (nothing looks as gorgeous as a well kept black car IMHO) but I was pretty fanatical about washing it at least once a week and it was garaged every night.

My 09 MAX is dark slate and doesn't seem to show the dust the way black did. I purchaed the dark slate because I had my last car for 10 years and was ready for (a little) change.

You totally lost me on the wheel/tire ?

Another thing I love about this car....I was (at first) disappointed that I had a single CD player...until I learned that you can burn up to 200 hours of CD's on the cars computer hard driver. Still working on figuring out how it works but I love the idea!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jdhume
FYI, according to Les Schwab (after pulling a wheel off my car), the offset for the stock 2009 19x8 rims is +50mm - apparently quite a change from previous generations where I think the offset was in the 35-42mm range. I'm slightly skeptical of this since I've also heard some people say that there were no changes. Can anyone confirm this offset number?

According to poster coolmax05, who is buying a set of 'takeoff' '09 Maxima wheels for his 6th gen, both the 18X8 and 19X8 2009 Maxima wheels have the same bolt pattern and bore as the 6th gen. He says the offset for both '09 wheels is +50mm, which leaves the spokes on the '09 wheels clearing the calipers on the 6th gen by about 1/4 of an inch. He was surprised to find that Eibach wheel spacers cost $61 for 5mm and $100 for 10mm+.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:56 PM

I called the dealer about the rattles & squeaks I'm experiencing. I'm taking it in Tuesday morning for them to take a look...hope it goes well. I have over 3500 miles on it as well so I'll be having my first scheduled service done.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Love my '09

Originally Posted by jasper
Happy to report that the rattle that I thought was my key fob, probably was, as there is no more rattle. YEA!

Another thing I love about this car....I was (at first) disappointed that I had a single CD player...until I learned that you can burn up to 200 hours of CD's on the cars computer hard driver. Still working on figuring out how it works but I love the idea!!!!
Jasper, you don't need to put the key fob in the hole UNLESS the key fob battery is nearly or is dead. It really serves no other purpose.

Also, set the Mediabox to RECORD all CD's. If you do that, it'll copy to the drive, all the songs as MP3's so you can listen later without the CD. If you don't set it to record all, then when you're playing a CD, switch to the screen and press the record button. Probably once for each song, or maybe it's once for the CD inserted.

I told it to RECORD all, and I can remove later if I don't like something. It's easier that way.

Shame tho, I haven't hacked it to see if the songs can be ripped back to the CF reader. LOL. I KNOW the CF reader HAS write capability and is smart enough to write back. Someone needs to "tweak" the firmware on the car so we can do things like this. ha

Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Also, set the Mediabox to RECORD all CD's. If you do that, it'll copy to the drive, all the songs as MP3's so you can listen later without the CD. If you don't set it to record all, then when you're playing a CD, switch to the screen and press the record button. Probably once for each song, or maybe it's once for the CD inserted.
When you press the record button it records the whole CD. What was amazing to me was that it records the CD faster than what it plays the CD. My experience is that it usually has the whole CD recorded while I am listening to the third song (about 10 minutes listening time). While it is recording it displays the track number that is being recorded and the total number of tracks on the CD so you know what it is doing.

I have recorded about 50 albums on my drive so far and it is suppose to hold about 200 albums. Also, if you turn the tuning **** it goes to the next album or previous album so it is easy to go to another album.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:05 AM

We've come a long way from 8 tracks!
Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 AM

Talking Make them Work for your Money

Radiant Silver, Charcoal Int,Sport Pak, Nav Pak, Wheel Locks, Flr Mats, Trnk Org and Splash Grds

I used the Internet for my bidding wars. I had (5) dealers working for the sale. It came down to (2) dealers, the best deal came from the first dealer online but the dealer around the corner came close but no cigar. Funny dealer #2 came to me with a price of 41K out the door. I came back a day later with my laptop in hand with prices and told him that the price was crazy... When I showed him my email quotes he came back with a great offer but still not the best. Anyway I bought my Max from the Biggest Dealership in the Harrisburg, PA area... Online Salesperson Great... Are you ready for this price? $36,500 out the door, all the above options with taxes and title...........Make them work for your money.......
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Love my '09

When you press the record button it records the whole CD. What was amazing to me was that it records the CD faster than what it plays the CD.
Yup, found out today while playing. it records the whole CD. Shame I can't record just 1 song.

Haven't played around much with the drive thing. Any way to play back all songs in say a random order? I notice it will also only record "music" CD's, not CD's full of MP3's. hahahahaha...

I have a 4G CF card full of MP3's that works great.

Oh, I tried displaying Video thru the input ports from my Zune. It's not displaying. Anyone tried anything like that yet?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by lee3up1
Radiant Silver, Charcoal Int,Sport Pak, Nav Pak, Wheel Locks, Flr Mats, Trnk Org and Splash Grds

I used the Internet for my bidding wars. I had (5) dealers working for the sale. It came down to (2) dealers, the best deal came from the first dealer online but the dealer around the corner came close but no cigar. Funny dealer #2 came to me with a price of 41K out the door. I came back a day later with my laptop in hand with prices and told him that the price was crazy... When I showed him my email quotes he came back with a great offer but still not the best. Anyway I bought my Max from the Biggest Dealership in the Harrisburg, PA area... Online Salesperson Great... Are you ready for this price? $36,500 out the door, all the above options with taxes and title...........Make them work for your money.......
Hi,
can you please share your price without Taxes/title and registration. Those fees vary by state, so it is hard for me to grasp the number in CT.
Also please share the name of the dealership, if you dont mind. If it is prohibited, can you please pm me with that info?
thanks,
Max
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how to work the CD player/recorder

thanks so much for that information...wish i would have checked by earlier as I was still fiddling with it when i finally decided to call the dealer. Had a nice guy go through the process step by step and we finally figured out that you need to record "all" the cds. This car is so new that the dealers/sales guys dont' really know how to work everything yet either.

Can you tell me how to scroll from album to album? I've been using the down arrow key on the middle **** but that takes forever...you have to go through all the albums track by track. There's got to be an easier way.??
Old 09-16-2008, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can you tell me how to scroll from album to album? I've been using the down arrow key on the middle **** but that takes forever...you have to go through all the albums track by track. There's got to be an easier way.??
The easiest way I found is to just turn the tuning **** while the music box is playing. If you press the status button the display shows the album and track that is playing and you can see the name of the album change as you turn the tuning **** on the "radio". That moves from album to album instead of from track to track. I found that much easier than trying to use one of their search functions.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 AM

does anyone know how to delete the pervious destinations in the nav.. dont like my personal where abouts stored should somone steal my car...
Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks for that....! Turning the center **** very well.
I wish I could figure out (and I will, I just need to set aside an hour or so to sit in the car and read the manual) how to work with the "album" "artist" "date" features.

This car should come with a "CD" to walk you through the set up phase. It would make it easier don't you think?

Also, and this may not be good. My car seems to have a "vibration" at a steady 30-35 miles an hour. Any ideas?
Old 09-16-2008, 02:54 PM

i will say, i sat in my first non-leather max and i must say, i was impressed. the stuff felt like suede. it was the nicest "cloth" i have seen...
Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM

Took my car to the dealer today about my rattles. It turns out that bolts in the center console were loose, allowing it to vibrate and move around. They fixed this and the amount of rattling has been reduced quite a bit. I still hear a few but I haven't had time to investigate further.

I hope bolts are not loose elsewhere on the car
Old 09-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Love my '09

This car should come with a "CD" to walk you through the set up phase. It would make it easier don't you think?
Funny you should mention that, my last maxima came with a DVD with all the setup stuff demonstrated. Surprised now I think about it, that this doesn't have one. LOL
Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought one. They're pricy, but worth it. I have 1,500 miles so far. I love driving it. 290 horses, so i try going at it with G37s

Last edited by alecks; 09-16-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OK, Who Bought One? What do you think?