7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Iphone Issues-other

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 PM

I just bought a 2010 Maxima with the Tech and Premium package.

I keep my i-Touch in the car all the time. I never remove it. It connects via a USB port unlike the 09 model which just has a special cable connector to the i Pod.

As far I I know the i-Touch is charging. I have never had to take it out to charge.

I have one small issue however. Occasionally I lose connection and get a message telling me to connect the usb. Once I unplug and replug back it senses the i-Touch and is fine.

I wonder if the charging issues you are experiencing are related to the fact that the 09 did not have a usb connector.

I had a problem with the i-Pod at home. Apple changed the design and my $300 Bose dock will not charge the 2nd generation i-Pod Touch. Bose wants a $125 fee to modify it just to charge. A total rip off.

Thats why I waited for the 2010 Maxima. I didnt want to take the chance that an Apple design change would mess me up like it did with the Bose dock.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had my 2010 Maxima for a few weeks now, and have some issues with iPhone 3G. I am aware that it won't charge, but it is VERY flaky playing music. Sometimes, it plays without issues, and I can switch between songs and albums, but sometimes it just stops playing or I get a message to check the connection, as others have posted.
However, is anyone having issues with viewing the phone's address book via Bluetooth?
I sat in my car for about 10 minutes trying to resolve all these issues. After trying combinations of having the phone on, unlocked, etc. when I first turn the car on, what I found is that if the phone is already on and unlocked before I turn the car on, and I say "No" to airplane mode right away, the address book from the phone shows up as being available in the car. However, I was unable to get the music playing 100% of the time. It just take a few tries and usually works well after a while. The manual says only 1st gen iPhone is compatible, so I guess anytime it does work is just gravy!
Does anyone else have any pointers or observations related to all this? Making and receiving calls via Bluetooth has worked without a hitch so far, however.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got my 2010 maxima...so i tested the iphone 3gs with my maxima , usb works fine, sees the iphone as an IPOD etc...so you can play music....but it doesnt recognize the movies via the A/V (red,whit,yellow video ) cable..which i would like it to work someday in the very near future. The reason is... "Not compatible" with the new generation i.e: 3GS. However i happen to have my itouch and IPHONE 3G (old generation)and that works fine for video playback on the monitor screen , you can see movies and play music . So in sum: Iphone 3GS not compatible with the video playback (Movies) via the A/V cable but plays music and u can see your playlist etc. Old Iphones and Itouch you can play movies and music on the monitor screen.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jadion
I just got my 2010 maxima...so i tested the iphone 3gs with my maxima , usb works fine, sees the iphone as an IPOD etc...so you can play music....but it doesnt recognize the movies via the A/V (red,whit,yellow video ) cable..which i would like it to work someday in the very near future. The reason is... "Not compatible" with the new generation i.e: 3GS. However i happen to have my itouch and IPHONE 3G (old generation)and that works fine for video playback on the monitor screen , you can see movies and play music . So in sum: Iphone 3GS not compatible with the video playback (Movies) via the A/V cable but plays music and u can see your playlist etc. Old Iphones and Itouch you can play movies and music on the monitor screen.
Funny, because I can and have played numerous movies/tv shows via the composite video/audio RCAs in the center console using my new IPhone 3GS. You hook it up to the RCAs, and plug the power into the handy cigarette lighter in there too. Then using the ipod function on the iphone you select whatever video you want to watch. Select AUX input on the radio and you are good to go... as long as you are in park with the parking brake on... OR if you have the KPtech bypass module installed like I do...
Old 01-04-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by DCLawyer68
So, in short, an iPhone 3G or 3GS will work fine to (a) play music; and simultaneously (b) as a communications device with the bluetooth?

The only issue is that it won't charge without an adapter?

Just want to confirm since I'm planning to switch to an iPhone when my current contract expires in December.

Thanks.
Yep, you can play music through the ipod cable with the adaper... I actually got a dock cable extension for after the adapter because I didnt like how the bulk of the adapter behaved with the iphone... made me worried about the constant plugging and unplugging.

Bluetooth works great. Only thing is that you have to input your address book manually... for some reason there is no address book push..
Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Don't forget that the Maxima can't download the address book over bluetooth from the iPhone 3GS. You will have to manually enter in the peoples address and phone number if you want them stored in the car. For some strange reason only certain phones support this feature.

And I think this has more to do with Apple than with Nissan.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Bluetooth works great. Only thing is that you have to input your address book manually... for some reason there is no address book push..
I agree iscripter, and it is a pain in the a**. It has more to do with apple or other phone manufacturers than with Nissan I think. My Sony Ericsson worked no problem, my LG before that wouldnt do it either...
Old 01-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have personally used this one for my 3GS iPhone, and it works perfectly!! I haven't found an aftermarket accessory that doesn't ask you if you want to go to airplane mode though!! I just select no, and it works fine!
http://www.nissanaccessories247.com/...Modelyear=2010
Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 AM

I am having a problem with the Ipod on my 2010 maxima.
Since it is a 2010 I use the apple USB connection to play music from my Iphone 3GS. Everything works great most of the time but often enough to really irritate me I get a message on the dash screen saying "Check USB Memory or Ipod". After the message the first time I unpluged my Iphone 3GS and pluged my girlfriends 3G in to see if hers would work and I just get the same message. When I got home I switched out the USB cord with another I had and everything was fine. I blamed it on the cord at the time. Well to my dis-satisfaction that message has appeared again. I didn't belive that two cords had gone bad so I figured it must be somthing else. It seems that when the message appears it won't work properly again until I shut the car off and open the drivers door. I guess shutting the car off the first time to go inside to get the other USB cord was what actually made the iPod work again and not the other cord.

Has anyone else experienced this and has anyone hopefully found what the problem is? I am wanting to take it back to the dealer dice it only has 600 miles on the car so far.

If anyone could help I would be very greatful. Thanx
Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 PM

Flip2cho
I am having the same problems with my 2010 SV+Premium+Tech with under 500 miles. I have found the problem does not occur if I disconnect the iphone before stopping the engine and then reconnect after starting. After one episode of "Check USB Memory" I found all the phone numbers that I had imported from my iphone were corrupt and I had to reenter them. I don't know the cause of this but I am relieved to hear someone else is having the same trouble. I did see a post last week about a TSB on the nav system. I wonder if that might be related to our issue?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Fezzik
Well, I went to test drive the new max and we are considering getting one. Very slick car. It's going to be hard to part from the 2k2 to this, but I think this may be the car. One thing I tested was the Iphone 3G. well I get the msg that this charging is not supported and to turn on airport mode. Thought i'd share my insights of what I found.
I just bought an iphone 3GS three days ago, I went today to the Apple store and purchased an adapter that the cars lead plugs into, then that plugs into phone. All is working fine and phone charges when hooked in. Controls on navi screen work great with ipod too.

this is the product - paid 19.99 at apple store
http://www.nissanaccessories247.com/...Modelyear=2010

Last edited by Migoldstein; 01-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:20 PM

Yea yea yea, what about the 2010 with the USB built in. Anybody else having any problems??
Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM

Does anyone else even have a 2010 w/ USB that they plug a 3GS into??
If so does yours always work with no problem ever??
Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Well it's pissed me off long enough, I have a service appt on 1/30 to find wtf is going on. Even though it doesn't seem like anyone else is having this problem, I'll post what the outcome is...
Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM

Flip2cho
Re read my previous post. As I stated I am having the same problem plus an issue you have not mentioned. Yes I have a 2010 and yes I am using the apple USB connection.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 AM

Idok, I don't know why I didn't see ur post, sorry. Quite an annoyng issue isn't it? My problem seems to occur only when tracks are changing and only works again once car is off and door opened. Like I said I'm takin it to the dealership this Saturday to hopefully resolve this once and for all and I'll let you know what I find.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 AM

I agree it is becoming very annoying. Please do let me know what you find out. I live an hour away from my dealer and I probably won't be able to take mine in for another week or so. Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 AM

Well I'm at the dealership. If you have this problem you know how it can be okay sometime and the just stop. Well it didnt do it for any of the tecs and they are out to lunch now so i am waiting for them to get back so i can make the problem arrise. I just really want the problem to go away. Even though its not a huge problem like the enigine or such, when you purchase a car with all the bells and whistles stickered at 39,170 you expect everything to be peachy (atleast through 20k miles). I keep posting updates of what the diagnosis and solution is if there is one.

Last edited by Flip2cho; 01-30-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:06 AM

I do have a problem

The 3Gs works okay. No extra anything is needed. I just use the original charger cord that came with the phone. I charges no problem. The problem is maybe after 10 songs ( its random ) when changing tracks either manually or because the song has ended and is switching to the next song a "check usb memory or iPod" message comes up. ONLY after turning the car off for a sec and opening the drivers door everything is peachy again for only a matter of time. One other person on this forum in another thread has had the same problem. Is ANYONE else experiencing this with a 2010???
Old 01-30-2010, 09:11 AM

IDOK,

Is your iphone a 3gs? Do you have it Jailbroken? I dont think it would cause the problem b/c ive tried my g/f's iphone which is a 3G not jailbroken and the same thing happens, I was just curious...
Old 01-30-2010, 09:32 AM

Yes it's 3G and no not jailbroken. Let me know what your dealer says about the problem.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM

At the dealership they had two tecs sit with me while I showed them the problem. One of the tecs had an iPhone and we pluged his in with no problem. We fliped through 94 of his 400 songs and never a problem. Only on my phone after 2, 15 40 songs ( @ the dealership we actually got to like 67 song before it flipped out). I have told them it's not just my phone, I've tried my g/f's and other people (idok) have had the same experience. I understand they are not going to pull and replace my stereo when it "could" be the phone. I wouldn't expect them to. That was however the solution they offered if it was the car, to pull and replace. They said they are going to call Nissan Monday morning and ask them about our problem. If Nissan says they are aware of somthing or even has heard of this before the service department said they will just go ahead and pull the stereo and replace the whole thing. At least it's now documented incase it takes a year or two for Nissan to figure out the issue.

One more question Idok, what is the capacity of you iPhone, 8 or 16 and how many songs do you have on the phone??
Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 AM

16 GB iphone with 591 songs.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:57 PM

Mine is a jailbroken 32gb 3GS with 3190 songs. Just trying to figure out if it is somthing on the iPhone side. I'm going to temporarily take off all but 400 songs and see if the car will like that better. It's the only down side of having a brand new car... You have to figure out bugs youself
Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 AM

I just got back from a 350 mile road trip in my g/f's Ford Focus. Her car has a USB plug just like our 2010 Maximas. The whole trip I played my iPhone to see if I would have any similar problems. Just as I figured, not one problem the whole trip.

This really leads me to believe that it's the Maxima and not my Iphone. Right now I am waiting on the dealership to contact Nissan Monday about this issue and get feedback from them. Hopefully they have some good information or else I will have to prove this is an issue myself.

If come Monday nothing goes as I would hope I plan on taking a couple steps myself to get to the bottom of this. I will go back to the dealership next Saturday and try my phone on some of the new maximas on the lot. I also plan on filling up my g/f's iPhone with as many of the same songs I fan fit and see if hers flakes out aswell. If it does I will take both phones with me to the dealership and show them it's not just my phone.

To sum it up, I know there is an issue and if Nissan is not aware of it yet I'm not going to sit back and just ignore it, I'm going to try many different things to eleminate possible causes for this issue untill I get it resolve.

Any feedback from other members like Idok with a 2010 maxima using the USB connection with an Iphone will greatly help me in my search.

1. Are you as well having an issue? Yes or No
2. Even if you have NO PROBLEMS could you give me info on your iPhone.
A) what generation iPhone is it? 2g , 3g , or 3gs
B) what is the capacity or the iPhone? 4gb, 8gb, 16gb, or 32gb?
C) how full is your phone with songs? actual songs
D) what firmware are you running? You can find in Settings:About:
Any information people could share with me if yours works perfect or if you too are having a problem would greatly help me eliminate possible causes for this error.

Thank you for your time.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 PM

Flip2cho I have an ITOUCH that I have leave connected in my wife's 2009 Murano. It plays flawlessly in her Murano with never an issue for over a year. I connected it to my 2010 Maxima and it will only play for exactly two seconds before my audio system locks up. I have tried resetting the ITOUCH, turning the ignition on/off and the Maxima audio system on/off. No matter what it will only play for two seconds and then stop. Have you tried an ITOUCH on your audio system? Anyone else have this issue? thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 03:37 PM

Nope never and I touch

Capacity?

Number of songs on the itouch?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 PM

Idok,

By the way nice car collection
1) 2010 maxima
2) 2009 murano
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
Idok,

By the way nice car collection
1) 2010 maxima
2) 2009 murano
Thanks man, I really like both vehicles. It all started with a 2004 Maxima SE with the Elite package which I still have. Nissan engines are in a class all by themselves, so smooth and yet powerful.

Update on the ipod touch-I installed the latest software on the ipod and it works just fine with the audio system in my 2010 Maxima. The audio connection with the iphone is still buggy and unstable.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Best iPhone/iPod To Car Integration Unit

I am looking to get a direct connect solution for my iPhone which will allow me to connect it into the back of the factory stereo. I've done some research and have come across two companys:

PAC Audio $129.95 & USA-Spec $149.99

My question to all of you is what product do you think is the best one to go for money and reliability wise??

Thanx in advance
Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 AM

Why would you need to do that when you can connect an ipod/iphone with the cable in the center console storage bin?
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 AM

From the looks of it I'd say the one from crutchfield (usa spec) as it connects via the dock on the iphone and charges the unit as well. Let us know how the install goes, I'm in the same boat, car I bought didn't have the factory ipod integration and want to add it.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by marjen
Why would you need to do that when you can connect an ipod/iphone with the cable in the center console storage bin?
I know that the car has the aux cable but for 1 the iPhone/iPod interface is much cleaner (not as many wires laying around) and 2 you can use your factory controls to control the iPhone/iPod which in turn makes it a safer option to use.

Originally Posted by daroccot
From the looks of it I'd say the one from crutchfield (usa spec) as it connects via the dock on the iphone and charges the unit as well. Let us know how the install goes, I'm in the same boat, car I bought didn't have the factory ipod integration and want to add it.
Thanx for pointing that out to me... I didn't even notice that the other one didn't have the iPhone/iPod cable connector, lol. Will do, I will let you know how it goes I just have to come up with the money and probably won't be doing it until this summer when it is warm enough outside to spend some time with it.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM

I have been looking at doing this myself and I would actually go with this one from PAC as it has a couple other options as well. http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=682&CategoryID=22.

Last edited by richmusch; 02-03-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

iPod Issues

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
I do have a problem

The 3Gs works okay. No extra anything is needed. I just use the original charger cord that came with the phone. I charges no problem. The problem is maybe after 10 songs ( its random ) when changing tracks either manually or because the song has ended and is switching to the next song a "check usb memory or iPod" message comes up. ONLY after turning the car off for a sec and opening the drivers door everything is peachy again for only a matter of time. One other person on this forum in another thread has had the same problem. Is ANYONE else experiencing this with a 2010???
I am having a similar problem. I have a 2010 Maxima with Premium and Technology. My iPod touch (original/1st gen) will work only for a few seconds, then everything freezes on the navigation screen and nothing I do will fix it. I have tried endless combinations of connecting (different cords, powering off/on, etc) and nothing seems to work!! Also, my iPhone via bluetooth worked great for the first couple of days...now it is doing weird things as well. The first night I took home the car, my Nissan was "reading" everything correctly on my iPhone. Contacts were visible, call history was correct, now a very long alphanumeric (about 40 characters) displays instead of the name listed in my phone. I know other people have posted that Nissan can't "read" iPhone contact lists via bluetooth, but it worked for a couple days, so why not now?

Any help would be much appreciated! I took it to the dealership, and they were confused as well. This is driving me crazy!!

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is exactly the thread I have been searching for!! I have a 2010 Nissan Maxima with Premium and Technology. I have a 32gb iPod Touch (original/1st gen). It will sometimes play for a full song, but as soon as a new track starts (or I switch to a new track) it will freeze about 2 seconds after starting the song.

I also have noticed issues with the Bluetooth technology and my iPhone 3GS. It worked for the first 2 days, now very odd number/letters are displayed instead of my contact information.

Please, please help! I am so annoyed! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:33 AM

Same thing here, I also get that problem with the contacts but what's weird is that it is not all the time. Sometimes the names show up fine and sometimes it's a long number with letters and that is the vehicles phonebook too.

I swear there is something weird wrong with a handfull of these 2010 radios. Bad thing is the dealership doesn't think so.

I also have a problem when listening to XM radio. When listening to a song I'll get loud clicks in the audio. This only happens with the XM radio and nothing else. I doubt it's a problem with XM. Is anyone else getting this interferance sound aswell??
Old 02-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Monieluvg
Definitely need the adapter. Sosche Passport. Works great.

The only flaw in the Scoche Passport, is it's design. Why didn't they engineer it to having locking clasps? I hate having to "baby" the phone while connected. This Passports EASILY gets worked out of its connection due to the lack it locking.

It sucks when someone comes up with a great idea and overlooks the small things.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ana1016
I am having a similar problem. I have a 2010 Maxima with Premium and Technology. My iPod touch (original/1st gen) will work only for a few seconds, then everything freezes on the navigation screen and nothing I do will fix it. I have tried endless combinations of connecting (different cords, powering off/on, etc) and nothing seems to work!! Also, my iPhone via bluetooth worked great for the first couple of days...now it is doing weird things as well. The first night I took home the car, my Nissan was "reading" everything correctly on my iPhone. Contacts were visible, call history was correct, now a very long alphanumeric (about 40 characters) displays instead of the name listed in my phone. I know other people have posted that Nissan can't "read" iPhone contact lists via bluetooth, but it worked for a couple days, so why not now?

Any help would be much appreciated! I took it to the dealership, and they were confused as well. This is driving me crazy!!

Thanks!
I have had exactly the same troubles both with the ipod touch and iphone. I did update my ipod (1st generation) touch to the latest software and it works better than my iphone. If you don't have the latest software on your ipod touch you might want to try the update because it did help. At first I thought the update fixed everything on the ipod touch but after a few days I still get an occasional usb memory message that causes the system to freeze. Sorry to hear you are having trouble but I'm glad I am not the only person having the phone book corrupted to a long list of alphanumeric figures.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 AM

Idok and Ana1016,

Out of curiosity, what is the production date of you car?

Quick Reply: Iphone Issues-other