7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New guy's story

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:08 PM

The New guy's story

I recently purchased a 2009 Maxima SV with Premium package. I bought it Sept 4 for $31,900- I got an ext. warranty but can't remember how much it was.

My previous car was a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi. It had 82,000 miles, my previous car was a 2002 Impreza WRX. I first started looking at a 2006 750i, but the sales guy was acting so funny. I didn't need a car but the price of the 7 was originally pretty appealing. I decided to check out this '09 Maxima and loved it. It had a few of the things the 7 series had, and that helped me forget about the BMW. I don't have to worry about BMW repair costs or reliability.

I never thought I'd get rid of the STi. I love that car- and loved the community even more. Every WRX/STi driver waves when they drive past each other. Everyone is very friendly. I enjoyed driving a car that most people just don't understand. Conversely, I see Maximas everywhere. And that car got sooo much respect almost everywhere. Needless to say, I loved the fact that I didn't have to shovel much snow to leave work. Nothing slowed me down with the Subaru.

After driving back and forth from KC to StL, I began to tire of the cramped quarters of my STi. At one time I wanted a Charger- I'm so glad I ended up with this Maxima, instead. Also my wife just bought a Sequioa and driving her car spoiled me for room.

This car is so quiet, smooth, and capable. I don't want to drive anything else. On the highway, it gets such decent gas mileage. Well, that's my story- I plan on being here for a while- I like the view so far.

This is my first Nissan. Is there anything in particular I should expect?
How do I post pics in this camp?

-MM1
Old 09-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Welcome to Maxima ownership, I'm a 2x Maxima owner and intend to stay in the Nissan/Infiniti family of cars for at least one more purchase.

In response to your question, you have to be a contributing member in order to post pictures. I believe the minimum amount is $25 dollars and it allows you to do more extensive searches, post pictures and avatars as well.

If you need more info, you can pm one of the moderators and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help you out. Welcome again to the family.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:21 AM

Mastermind1 - Welcome to the Maxima owner's fraternity! May your hours here be happy ones!

My only advice on how to be as happy as possible with your Maxima is to observe these three points:

(1) - Don't ever be bothered by the fact the Maxima is FWD. FWD is actually a safer setup; one that pulls through the corners, practically eliminating rear end slideout under accelleration in curves, also enabling you to get around somewhat during inclimate weather conditions such as snow, also does better than RWD on grassy slopes, and reduces the size of the interior hump, etc. etc.

(2) - Don't ever be bothered by the fact the Maxima does not have a gas-sucking 350 HP engine. This car is not intended to be a rocket ship. This is a balanced, very nice-handling sporty family sedan that has good interior room and gets good gas mileage. 290 HP is more than ample.

(3) - Don't ever be bothered by the fact this Maxima comes only with a CVT. The CVT is the tranny of the future for FWD passenger cars, and the future is here today with this '09 Maxima CVT. It is so much better than any prior Nissan CVT, has very good accelleration, good fuel economy, and four modes with which to play. This CVT has even gotten grudging praise from auto mag testers that we know will always strongly prefer an old-style manual in their sporty sedans.

Yes, you will encounter hundreds of threads forever wanting these three things in our Maxima. But the Maxima is what it is; one of the finest, most stylish and sporty FWD family sedans on earth, and I see no reason to make it something it really isn't.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this beautiful new member of your family.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:27 AM

Welcome!
Old 09-28-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Mastermind1 - Welcome to the Maxima owner's fraternity! May your hours here be happy ones!

My only advice on how to be as happy as possible with your Maxima is to observe these three points:

(1) - Don't ever be bothered by the fact the Maxima is FWD. FWD is actually a safer setup; one that pulls through the corners, practically eliminating rear end slideout under accelleration in curves, also enabling you to get around somewhat during inclimate weather conditions such as snow, also does better than RWD on grassy slopes, and reduces the size of the interior hump, etc. etc.

(2) - Don't ever be bothered by the fact the Maxima does not have a gas-sucking 350 HP engine. This car is not intended to be a rocket ship. This is a balanced, very nice-handling sporty family sedan that has good interior room and gets good gas mileage. 290 HP is more than ample.

(3) - Don't ever be bothered by the fact this Maxima comes only with a CVT. The CVT is the tranny of the future for FWD passenger cars, and the future is here today with this '09 Maxima CVT. It is so much better than any prior Nissan CVT, has very good accelleration, good fuel economy, and four modes with which to play. This CVT has even gotten grudging praise from auto mag testers that we know will always strongly prefer an old-style manual in their sporty sedans.

Yes, you will encounter hundreds of threads forever wanting these three things in our Maxima. But the Maxima is what it is; one of the finest, most stylish and sporty FWD family sedans on earth, and I see no reason to make it something it really isn't.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with this beautiful new member of your family.
could not have put it better myself, if you want a race car, buy or build one and race it.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:48 AM

I WHOLE HEARTEDLY CONCUR WITH THIS GENTLEMAN"S OPINION!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 AM

Enough said. Now go enjoy
Old 09-30-2008, 10:37 AM

You're kinda preaching to the choir. I bought this car because I love it. I knew it would take a very impressive car to get me out of the STi.

Naw I couldn't care less about the CVT setup. I enjoy it and find myself using the other modes a lot. The power output of this car is sufficient. I couldn't see putting more power to the front wheels of this car. FWD is, meh. Front wheels are meant to steer- but I knew what it was when I bought the car, so that's fine.

I've always had tremendous respect for Maximas. It alway seemed like a gentleman's and a driver's car.

MM1
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 PM

Impressions after one week

As posted in another thread, my wife and I took delivery of an 09 Max Winter Frost/Cafe Late, Premium/Tech, last weekend. After one week, my impressions are as follows:

Pros:
1. Styling--this car looks great from every angle, especially in Winter Frost with tinted windows; Lots of admiring looks
2. Fit and finish---inside and out nothing is out of place. The interior is comparable to my other ride, an 07 Audi S4. The quality of materials is quite impressive.
3. Gadgets---havent even begun to play with everything yet but the Ipod interface should be the industry standard. Just plug it in and control everything from the steering wheel
4. packaging----for the money, no other car comes close to the styling, performace and feature content.
5. Trick tranny---I was worried about the CVT but the more I drive it the more I like it. It never gets caught flat footed.
6. Steering wheel---excellent thickness, design and detailed stitching, extremely sporty;
7. Nav system is very intuitive and much easier to use than Acura's system. Touch screen makes it all the better.
8. AC system kicks _ss even in South FL. Cools off right away and gets bone chilling on the lowest setting. Cooled seat also works well.

Cons:
1. The suspension on the Preimum is fairly soft and floaty, not very sporty at all even though even the Premium is allegedly a 4DSC. Mind you its not bad, just not very firm and it loses a bit of composure over bumps.
2. Steering---its just ok, again not very sporty but light years ahead of my 01 I30t which had a turning radius like a cruise ship.
3. Gauges are a bit plain for a car with sporting intentions, Acura has this part down.
4. Rear controls for AC/Radio are a cruel joke. Unless you ask, you might think the read AC controls a separate zone, in fact using those controls affects the front passenger as well and there is not a seperate zone for the rear. Why rear seat passengers need to control the radio escapes me. Fortunately there is an override switch.

That's it so far after 1 week.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:39 PM

madlaw1071 - Very good report. We need to know both the good and bad about this car. A very old geezer like myself will somehow adjust to the less-firm ride of the non-Sport version.

Folks who haven't driven this '09 often pan CVTs in general, sometimes brutally so. But almost everyone who had done any serious driving in this '09 has liked this redesigned CVT.

Interesting about the rear radio HVAC controls. I hadn't thought about the fact they also control those for the front passengers as well. Maybe there will come a time when the rear HVAC controls only the air arriving at the back seat, and the rear radio control controls only the back speakers. But we will have to wait on that.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mastermind1
You're kinda preaching to the choir. I bought this car because I love it. I knew it would take a very impressive car to get me out of the STi.

Naw I couldn't care less about the CVT setup. I enjoy it and find myself using the other modes a lot. The power output of this car is sufficient. I couldn't see putting more power to the front wheels of this car. FWD is, meh. Front wheels are meant to steer- but I knew what it was when I bought the car, so that's fine.

I've always had tremendous respect for Maximas. It alway seemed like a gentleman's and a driver's car.

MM1

With that response, it is clear I was indeed 'carrying coals to Newcastle'. You are definitely my kind of Maxima driver!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM

I just bought a 2009 SV with Sport package. LOVED the way it looks in person and they way it drives...excellent. I skipped the tech package because I figured I would go either or...sport or tech. The combo just put the price too high. I still get all the goodies and I figured I can throw in the nav later with a handheld unit. Cant wait to pick it up tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
I just bought a 2009 SV with Sport package. LOVED the way it looks in person and they way it drives...excellent. I skipped the tech package because I figured I would go either or...sport or tech. The combo just put the price too high. I still get all the goodies and I figured I can throw in the nav later with a handheld unit. Cant wait to pick it up tomorrow.
I understand your situation completely and enjoy it!!! I just had to go BIG on mine!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:45 PM

Yeah they were gonna have to "drive in" a sport+tech and I knew I wouldn't be able to get the deal I was taking one right off the showroom floor. Gonna order a top of the line Garmin tonight to add in tomorrow! Saved a couple G's. What color did you get? What packages? Share share!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 AM

madlaw1071 - Very good report. We need to know both the good and bad about this car. A very old geezer like myself will somehow adjust to the less-firm ride of the non-Sport version.

Folks who haven't driven this '09 often pan CVTs in general, sometimes brutally so. But almost everyone who had done any serious driving in this '09 has liked this redesigned CVT.

Interesting about the rear radio HVAC controls. I hadn't thought about the fact they also control those for the front passengers as well. Maybe there will come a time when the rear HVAC controls only the air arriving at the back seat, and the rear radio control controls only the back speakers. But we will have to wait on that.
Actually the rear AC controls affect the front passenger and rear passengers the driver is on a separate zone, although depending on the way the vents are angled the driver could obviously be affected. Wouldve made more sense to add a separate zone just for the rear as part of the premium pack. Many SUV's have this option. Also they shouldve included a headphone jacks for the rear audio controls. Many times my kids want the radio on and my wife and I dont. If they could plug in and control the radio from the back everyone would be happy.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 AM
aka The Doom Ship

Welcome to the Maxima community. And yes, you will probably continue to love your Max for a long time. Every now and then I get fustrated with the repairs but as soon as they are fixed I go back to loving my car. LOL.

If you're into driving fast(130+), you might be a little disappointed but...

I've taken my 5AT trans right up to 140 and it still wanted more; you might not have that same luxury but then again you might not care to do that.

Either way you should enjoy it for the most part.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
If you're into driving fast(130+), you might be a little disappointed but...

I've taken my 5AT trans right up to 140 and it still wanted more; you might not have that same luxury
What makes you say the 7th gen might not pull like the 6th?
Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by madlaw1071
Actually the rear AC controls affect the front passenger and rear passengers the driver is on a separate zone, although depending on the way the vents are angled the driver could obviously be affected. Wouldve made more sense to add a separate zone just for the rear as part of the premium pack. Many SUV's have this option. Also they shouldve included a headphone jacks for the rear audio controls. Many times my kids want the radio on and my wife and I dont. If they could plug in and control the radio from the back everyone would be happy.

I think Nissan is leaving the separate zone air for the back, radio control for the back speakers only, passenger air conditioned seat and maybe the headphone jacks for the "refreshed" version. Nissan didn't leave much off of this Max. They had to leave something to excite the 7.5 crowd! I love everything about my new Max....
Old 10-04-2008, 06:27 AM
aka The Doom Ship

It's limited to 132

Originally Posted by Mastermind1
What makes you say the 7th gen might not pull like the 6th?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM

I THINK I am going to buy this car....I need to wait and save up a few extra dollars to make this more affordable, but DANG if you guys don't make me want to go buy one tomorrow!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:12 AM

It's limited to 132. -> For the 18"

For the 19" RE050, Road&Track ran to the 149mph electronic wall.

So that should own your 6th gen.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:49 PM

welcome and enjoy the max, the only reason I am holding out of getting the new max is because i want a stick shift lol, Subaru, is next on my list,
Old 11-23-2008, 08:37 PM

Welcome brotha, you are going to love your new ride and soon find ways to add to the excitement!!!!! I love my Max and I am never looking back!

2009 Nissan Maxima Sport/Tech Package Dark Slate
JL Audio 12 W7 powered by JL 500/1
20x9 Vossen VVS078 Rims/Falken FK 452 255/35ZR/20
VIPER 5901 Remote Start Security Alarm System
Old 11-24-2008, 06:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by choice89
Welcome brotha, you are going to love your new ride and soon find ways to add to the excitement!!!!! I love my Max and I am never looking back!

2009 Nissan Maxima Sport/Tech Package Dark Slate
JL Audio 12 W7 powered by JL 500/1
20x9 Vossen VVS078 Rims/Falken FK 452 255/35ZR/20
VIPER 5901 Remote Start Security Alarm System
Any issues with your Viper and your Push button/Keyless starter system?
TIA
Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by tjdehya
Any issues with your Viper and your Push button/Keyless starter system?
TIA

No real big issues as of yet, they were not able to install all of the options like enabling the rear defrost as one of the auxiallary buttons. They were able to hook up my window up and down as an option so I am very pleased.

There was one small item, on the drive home after the install I noticed that my Cruise Control did not work, so I called and I am now at the install shop to get that issue fixed. The rep informed me that he had all of the new updated TECH information he needed and that it was not an issue and it would be fixed ASAP. But I love the Remote Start option especially since I live in Missouri and it has alreadt gotten very cold. I have the winter warm package from Nissan as an option in the vehicle so now with the remote start I will be able to have all of it turned on and nice and warm when I get in!!!!!

Oh yeah it was a bit pricey as well.......but I figured you get what you pay for right!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Was curious if the dealer is giving you a great deal considering the tough economic times. I looked at some new Maxes at the dealer the other week and saw some $40+K stickers and was thinking they had to be kidding. On top of that, the dealer was adding a bunch of worthless items like nitrogen in the tires for "only" $399. What a joke! I'd consider the new Max to replace my 4G model, but there's lots of competition to consider at $40K!
Old 12-02-2008, 07:22 PM

40k plus extra is nuts for a Max. I paid 32,000 for a SV + Sport.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM

Welcome and enjoy
Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 AM

40k plus extra is nuts for a Max. I paid 32,000 for a SV + Sport.
That's much more reasonable. This may be time to ****** one of these up! How much did they come off sticker?