7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2010 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Interesting detailed article on Nissan's Hybrid Technology and the rumor that the 370Z might be one of the first launch vehicles.

http://www.370z.com/MagazineArticles...Z-in-2011.aspx

Why would one think the Maxima wouldn't be targeted for Hybrid duty?
The Altima hybrid which is already out would offer almost as much room, and the same fuel economy, for a significantly lower price.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaxLoverAz
Well Hyundai is no longer a reliability nightmare it once was they have made huge strides in the last 3-4 years with NVH, quality, initial quality, reliability, etc. It's going to take several more years before the stereotyping dies down just exactly what the Japanese makes dealt with for many years. I can remember back in the day all of the Jap car insults, jokes, etc and now they have been the benchmark to obtain for several decades.

Here is an except from a 2006 JD Power Study:

Based on both design quality and production quality considerations, the study finds that automakers can vary widely in their performance on these two components. Brands with the fewest defects and malfunctions include BMW, Chrysler, Hyundai, Lexus, Porsche and Toyota. Brands with the fewest design problems include GMC, Hyundai, Jaguar, Lexus, Nissan and Porsche.

They haven't dropped since 2006 they are only getting better. Maybe you should stop by a showroom and look around it's no fluke and might I add they are practically the only manufacturer today selling more cars when compared a year ago as a whole than anyone in this market.
Very well put.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
I don't even understand why the Genesis vs Maxima argument has been brought up. a) It is a Hyundai, the worst car you can possibly buy (next to a kia) for reliability. Honestly, who has ever replied to "I own a Hyundai" with "Oh wow, thats cool" b) like light said it is apples and oranges. I could have bought a Dodge Ram 4X4 turbo diesel for pretty close to the same price as my Max. Does that mean I should be comparing the two as well?

Mreim769 - While I (with my Maxima bias) generally agree with your post, I must admit that Hyundai is a far more reliable vehicle than it was just a few years ago. In fact, as an entire car line, Hyundai is now more reliable than Nissan (and has been for several years). The Maxima and Genesis are rated about equal in reliability. As others here mentioned, Hyundai is doing exceptionally well sales-wise during this depression. I would have no concerns with buying a Hyundai, should one of their products exactly meet my needs and desires.

But I agree with you that informed car buyers (that understand and care about such things as RWD vs FWD, Manual tranny vs automatic vs CVT, hard drive music box, etc) would be more likely to compare the Maxima with quite a few other vehicles before they would with the Genesis. Many folks I talk to are not even aware the Genesis exists. Others still don't trust Hyundai.

There will be those who will find the Genesis exactly fits their needs. A person who is not bothered by the 'nervous' ride, very slightly slower accelleration, very slightly lower MPG, by the fact the Hyundai name has not totally recovered from the old 'pile of junk' image, and who prefers 'plain Jane' styling, etc, etc, should be very happy with a Genesis. There are far worse cars out there than the Genesis. For the money, the Maxima is one of the few that I (admittedly prejudiced) consider clearly better.

Others will naturally disagree.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:02 AM

I don't even understand why the Genesis vs Maxima argument has been brought up. a) It is a Hyundai, the worst car you can possibly buy (next to a kia) for reliability.
WRONG

Currently Hyundai is more reliable than Nissan...Clearly u havent been keeping up with the automotive world
Old 06-05-2009, 04:42 AM

My last 3 cars were Hyundais and let me tell you they all were extremely reliable. Not one issue. I put 100k on all 3 of them and was very worried about leaving Hyundai for Nissan. If you look at the ratings they are ahead of Nissan in reliability. The Hyundai Excel was about 20 years ago people.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA
WRONG

Currently Hyundai is more reliable than Nissan...Clearly u havent been keeping up with the automotive world
I guess I just have that 80's and 90's stigma of the wretched Hyundai with me still. That and it is rather a rather ugly car manufacture.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:16 AM

I guess I just have that 80's and 90's stigma of the wretched Hyundai with me still. That and it is rather a rather ugly car manufacture.
I couldn't believe how they have changed when I was looking for a new car...

Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 AM

As an owner of a 20Th AE Maxima, I hope they make a 30Th AE Maxima in 2011, I will most likely buy it.

I only have one requirement. It HAS to have a manual transmission.

Not really worried about AWD/RWD although AWD would be nice; but if I wanted a nice luxury AWD, I'd spend a few grand more and get a SHO. Which I will probably end up buying anyway, because I doubt Nissan is going to make a 2011' Maxima with a manual. (ibshoisauto) It has two turbos that more than make up for the lack of gear shifting...
Old 01-13-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by CreativeSkillz
As an owner of a 20Th AE Maxima, I hope they make a 30Th AE Maxima in 2011, I will most likely buy it.

I only have one requirement. It HAS to have a manual transmission.
2011 will be the 7 1/2 generation model, and will have cosmetic changes both front and rear, and possibly even a side tweak. There will also be a new color or two, dropping of one or two existing colors, and a few mechanical changes.

In normal times, there might be an outside chance Nissan would bite the bullet and come out with a very nice, really loaded (body molding, air dam, etc) 'one year only' 30th AE Maxima with just over 300 HP and a 6 speed manual. I have no doubt there is now enough pent-up demand for a manual Maxima that would insure really decent sales, as folks would understand this would be their only opportunity to obtain a new manual Maxima.

Unfortunately, these are not normal times. There are economists that feel this will be a 'two dip' recession lasting many more years, as unemployment continues to get worse, not better. We may not see significant recovery in employment for another five years. If unemployment is still around 10% a year from now, we can forget anything like a manual 2011 Maxima; Nissan will just be trying to hold their head above water.

You mentioned Ford. Of the big three American nameplates, that is easily my choice at this time. As a total fleet, Ford has moved ahead of GM and Chrysler in overall reliability in every rating system I have seen.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
2011 will be the 7 1/2 generation model, and will have cosmetic changes both front and rear, and possibly even a side tweak. There will also be a new color or two, dropping of one or two existing colors, and a few mechanical changes.

In normal times, there might be an outside chance Nissan would bite the bullet and come out with a very nice, really loaded (body molding, air dam, etc) 'one year only' 30th AE Maxima with just over 300 HP and a 6 speed manual. I have no doubt there is now enough pent-up demand for a manual Maxima that would insure really decent sales, as folks would understand this would be their only opportunity to obtain a new manual Maxima.

Unfortunately, these are not normal times. There are economists that feel this will be a 'two dip' recession lasting many more years, as unemployment continues to get worse, not better. We may not see significant recovery in employment for another five years. If unemployment is still around 10% a year from now, we can forget anything like a manual 2011 Maxima; Nissan will just be trying to hold their head above water.

You mentioned Ford. Of the big three American nameplates, that is easily my choice at this time. As a total fleet, Ford has moved ahead of GM and Chrysler in overall reliability in every rating system I have seen.
Look at how right you were a half a year ago
Old 06-24-2010, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
Look at how right you were a half a year ago

When one has 'been there, done that' since the early 1930s, even a mentally-challenged geezer like me eventually begins to detect patterns in the way things evolve.

Even so, life sometimes throws us a curveball. I didn't see Nissan dropping all trannies but the CVT at the end of the 2006 model year. Neither did I think Nissan would completely drop the manual tranny from the high-volume production Altima.

I am a little surprised Nissan is adding three colors to the '11. Usually only one or two are added.

Thank you for reminding me of what I posted last year. I don't even remember doing that.