7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It does'nt look like that would fit correctly into the 09+ Maxima!
Old 03-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would have tried it myself if it had iPod interface. I don't mind the orange display, I just want to use my ipod and be able to control it throught the system.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 PM

so has anyone put an aftermarket head unit or gps unit in max? pics? which one?
Old 03-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Baccala1976
I have the S model and the amber display doesn't bother me at all. The one thing that does bother me is that it doesn't have RDS.
I'm with you on the missing RDS in the S model. I just assumed when I purchased his car that RDS would be included. Is there a way to enable RDS in this car?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Install factory/oem Navigation in 2010 Maxima S

This is a late post but I have been working on a similar project this thread has been discussing. I have a 2010 Maxima S (80's display screen) and my project was to add the navigation to it. I found the complete navigation system on eBay (nav display, switch assembly, gps antenna, control assembly, back-up camera). I thought this was all I needed but ran into a major roadblock.

The harnesses are completely different from the different models. I than ordered the complete harness from Nissan with the navigation connectors and ran into another roadblock. After swapping my complete main harness with the new harness my car did not start/power on. I noticed the main harness connector that plugs into the computer are different. My connector has fewer wires and the one with navigation has more but I am not sure why that could've caused the car not to start.

Has anyone made it this far with their project or succeeded? Is there away to extract just the navigation wires and install like that?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Y didint anyone jus get the monitor package? It's only like an extra 15 bucks a month.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214
Y didint anyone jus get the monitor package? It's only like an extra 15 bucks a month.
When I got mine I was told either its Nav or no Nav. I was never informed of any monitor package which pisses me off because if I was I would have gotten it.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Am I the only one that finds the Non-Tech Package display to not be that bad? Sure the colour might be a little off puting but it could be a whole lot worse looking to begin with and the colour matches the rest of the lighting in the car.
I don't think the base radio looks that bad, just the bar between the HVAC and audio display is kinda weird.

Last edited by Ricko; 06-04-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I should have got the upgraded tech package but the deal I got on my Maxima S was an offer I couldn't refuse. I got a new Maxima S with upgraded leather for 25k and the Maxima SV models with tech package were starting at 38k so it was a 13k difference which I believed was not worth it.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
When I got mine I was told either its Nav or no Nav. I was never informed of any monitor package which pisses me off because if I was I would have gotten it.
Oh, From what I hear I dont think they offered the monitor package in the 09 Maximas.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dejohn2010
I should have got the upgraded tech package but the deal I got on my Maxima S was an offer I couldn't refuse. I got a new Maxima S with upgraded leather for 25k and the Maxima SV models with tech package were starting at 38k so it was a 13k difference which I believed was not worth it.
They do that for 2010? S with upgrded leather?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

They do that for 2010? S with upgrded leather?
Yes when I went to the dealership I wanted the SV models but it was just too pricey and the salesperson asked me what was the most important things I wanted in my car and I said leather and sunroof. So they ordered the leather seats and put them in for no additional cost. But once I got the car I started disliking the orange screen more and more which started me with the conversion project.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dejohn2010
Yes when I went to the dealership I wanted the SV models but it was just too pricey and the salesperson asked me what was the most important things I wanted in my car and I said leather and sunroof. So they ordered the leather seats and put them in for no additional cost. But once I got the car I started disliking the orange screen more and more which started me with the conversion project.
Oh I didn't know they did that, thats cool I guess. Yea the orange screen is annoying. I hope someone creates a solution for you guys. It looks cheap to me I thonk they should've put a color screen but without the hard drive, usb input, and rearview camera for standard models without Monitor or navi packages.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone just tried to leave the stupid orange screen uptop, and put an aftermarket double din unit where the even stupider 6 disk in-dash CD changer is? I know there is an install kit avail. Heres the link.
http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=8504

please post pics if you have allready done this!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by KillaKam
The monitor package started with the 2010's. For us '09s it was either Tech or nothing... Personally I was kinda mad when I found out the '10s have a better color screen and XM weather
Old 06-21-2010, 11:37 AM

Does anyone have a picture of just the Monitor Package (no nav)? I just got my SV Sport and I too have the amber display. I didn't know anything about the monitor package and thought Nav was the only way to get it, and I didn't want the Nav package.

The dealer only had 1 sport so I didn't know what I was missing and now I'm kind of pissed that I missed out on that option.

I can't believe there is no easy way to add it. I could care less about the camera, I'd just like the full display for the radio and such.....
Old 06-21-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jagamov
Does anyone have a picture of just the Monitor Package (no nav)? I just got my SV Sport and I too have the amber display. I didn't know anything about the monitor package and thought Nav was the only way to get it, and I didn't want the Nav package.

The dealer only had 1 sport so I didn't know what I was missing and now I'm kind of pissed that I missed out on that option.

I can't believe there is no easy way to add it. I could care less about the camera, I'd just like the full display for the radio and such.....
here is the monitor package, as you see, it moves the hvac controls to the bottom of the center console which I like so much better.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:38 PM

Here is a close up picture as you see it also has the rear-view monitor.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Here is the radio interface.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Doesnt look like this will be possible huh? I was watching this thread closely, every time i go to sleep i see amber. There is no reason why the sv should not have an color lcd screen.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by faymus
Doesnt look like this will be possible huh? I was watching this thread closely, every time i go to sleep i see amber. There is no reason why the sv should not have an color lcd screen.
The SV can come with a color screen, it's called the monitor package.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ricko
The SV can come with a color screen, it's called the monitor package.
lol your hysterical, seriously though I bought the car used from a friend, had no choice. I also assumed it would be an easy fix. I dont understand why they made it so difficult, oh wait they want to take our money. lol harness should be the same and lcd/headunit should be plug in play. Im asking for too much L know. lol
Old 06-22-2010, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by faymus
lol your hysterical, seriously though I bought the car used from a friend, had no choice. I also assumed it would be an easy fix. I dont understand why they made it so difficult, oh wait they want to take our money. lol harness should be the same and lcd/headunit should be plug in play. Im asking for too much L know. lol
Sorry, I couldn't help it!
I would think adding the monitor wouldn't be that difficult but these days electronics are very complex anyway.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 AM

here is the monitor package, as you see, it moves the hvac controls to the bottom of the center console which I like so much better.

Thanks for posting pics....Now it makes me even madder!

I agree with Faymus, it seems ridiculous that a car this expensive would not include this in the upper trim levels. I can maybe see it as an option on the SV, but when you get the Sport Package, it should be included.

I'm not sure what bothers me more, the fact that I didn't know about it, or the fact that the dealer didn't know about it.

Last edited by Jagamov; 06-22-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 AM

for what it's worth, the sport package is not a trim level. The 2010 Maxima only has two trim levels. The Maxima and the Maxima SV. Everything else on top of the SV trim is an option package.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by umdpru
for what it's worth, the sport package is not a trim level. The 2010 Maxima only has two trim levels. The Maxima and the Maxima SV. Everything else on top of the SV trim is an option package.
You're right, I meant the package and not the trim...I guess since it's standard on the premium, I think it should also been included on the sport.

It's always been Nav or no Nav and made the choice easy...this just through a wrench into the deal and kind of irritates me...It makes the car look so much nicer, and $700 is nothing when you consider the price of the car as a whole.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:33 PM

I agree with Faymus, it seems ridiculous that a car this expensive would not include this in the upper trim levels. I can maybe see it as an option on the SV, but when you get the Sport Package, it should be included.

I'm not sure what bothers me more, the fact that I didn't know about it, or the fact that the dealer didn't know about it.
Im sorry, lol. I believe it should be offered as a standard option with the sport package, what they should do is, offer the color screen standard without the camera, music box, and usb drive, and if you want all that they should make that an option.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Sport and Monitor is very very hard to find, when I went to Hudson Nissan in jersey city, they didnt have any Sport with monitor, all plain Sport and they were all slate gray. Sport with Monitor in my opinion is the hardest setup to locate.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 AM

Sport and Monitor is very very hard to find, when I went to Hudson Nissan in jersey city, they didnt have any Sport with monitor, all plain Sport and they were all slate gray. Sport with Monitor in my opinion is the hardest setup to locate.
Thanks.

Yeah, I called my sales guy yesterday and he seemed like he'd have been willing to trade me, but he said there are only 8 Sport/Monitor cars in the US and the only black one is in Mississippi. So way too much effort especially since my car has already be titled.

Owell, I can live without it as I truly do not want/need the Nav.

I told him he can make it up to me by making me a smoking deal on a 2011.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:25 PM

I just removed the bezel and will probably pull the screen out to invistigate further this weekend.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, I called my sales guy yesterday and he seemed like he'd have been willing to trade me, but he said there are only 8 Sport/Monitor cars in the US and the only black one is in Mississippi. So way too much effort especially since my car has already be titled.

Owell, I can live without it as I truly do not want/need the Nav.

I told him he can make it up to me by making me a smoking deal on a 2011.
Only 8 in the US? wow hes pulling your leg. Every dealer here in NY and NJ are telling me that they can get me a sport/ monitor in whatver color I want, hes jus pulling your leg man, it's a Nissan Maxima not an r34 skyline. Don't go for the 2011 the markup will be ridiculous. I honestly cant believe what he is telling you. I know that this contradicts what I said before but it turns out the dealers can locate any car you want, I'll admit there may be a shortage of these specific cars but there are def more than 8 in the US.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:32 AM

Only 8 in the US? wow hes pulling your leg.
I said the same thing...I suspect he was referring to a Black Sport/Monitor car...

Owell, I'm ok with it. I really love my car, and it's a really minor feature in the grand scheme of things.

I will wait and see what they do for the 2012 models...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

I said the same thing...I suspect he was referring to a Black Sport/Monitor car...

Owell, I'm ok with it. I really love my car, and it's a really minor feature in the grand scheme of things.

I will wait and see what they do for the 2012 models...
Yea thats a good perspective to have, maybe someone will come out with a way to fix this, I've seen the amber screen and it was really not that bad at all.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM

Yea thats a good perspective to have, maybe someone will come out with a way to fix this, I've seen the amber screen and it was really not that bad at all.
Yeah, it's not too bad, plus it's one less thing that can go wrong...
Old 06-29-2010, 07:54 PM

The only reason I don't like the the orange screen is because it seems out of place. The black bar in the middle makes it look like you are missing something. I like the ipod and phone controls, not to thrilled about the camera. I will see what happens this weekend when I get the monitor out.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
The only reason I don't like the the orange screen is because it seems out of place. The black bar in the middle makes it look like you are missing something. I like the ipod and phone controls, not to thrilled about the camera. I will see what happens this weekend when I get the monitor out.
Good luck man, keep us posted.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM

Speaking of the amber display, is there anyway to make it scroll when say an Artist or Song is longer that the display can show?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was wondering have anyone without nav but have color screen used the garmin 53 as a nav because it can plug up to your RCA jacks. But there are a few problem because u will have to control it with a remote and u will also need have parking brake on view the unit's video from your screen. I was wondering have anyone see this device in action. Because it sounds interesting.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
Well I agree with those who have already tried or indicated that it cannot be done as a quick swap. It can be done but the cost as you know is outrages. I can report that after taking the ac/radio display apart it is possible to relocate those items and install a monitor in the slot. The Maxima has great potential for a customizer or someone who has the cash to do a custom set up. Here is my idea, install a full touch screen 7" monitor/radio/gps in the dash. Move the AC controls to the single cubby hole where the acc plug is (like the BMW 7series) and install the ac display in the slot below the radio after making the cut out. You may or may not lose the steering wheel controls and that depends on what you are willing to spend. I calculate about 2 grand total for parts and labor.

Here is a picture of the ac/radio display (rear view)

Last edited by IH8SPM; 07-10-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by svt consuelo
to help out those still a little confused...

the first is the Fancy One...

the second one is the one, us the Poor Average Joe's have

What's that black thing below the forward track on the first picture?

Quick Reply: Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?