7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by IH8SPM
What's that black thing below the forward track on the first picture?
Its a memory card slot I believe.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by sgirgiss1214
Its a memory card slot I believe.
In what model?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 PM

In what model?
it comes in any model SV, SV sport or SV premium that has navigation or the color screen monitor. I believe that was only in the 09 models tho bc I was in my friends 10 sv premium tech today and his dash didn't have it.

Last edited by sgirgiss1214; 07-10-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

**TTT**

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n+Maxima-.html
Old 07-14-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by pfunk123

Please someone comfirm this works lol
Old 07-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by pfunk123
FWIW I live down the street from this company and have bought stereo gear from them in the past. It's usually last years models for way too much money. They've had stuff that's been legit in the past. If you look at the second photo you'll notice it's an OEM Japanese model. Everything's in Asian characters.

Last night me and some friends added a AVIC-920bt to the wifes 09 and I will say it gave me some ideas. As someone above said the Stereo and Climate Control are 2 different Single din units. If you're willing to do a little custom work you can actually pick up. This http://scosche.com/products/productID/1882 and move the CC into the empty slot, since the wiring for the CC comes UP the dash there is enough slack to move it down.

The a Double Din HU can then go into the pocket up to, with some hacking. Because the radio display and CC display is so shallow the hole behind them is shallow. With some plastic cutting of the dash and a custom mount it wouldn't be that hard to move a head unit up there.

Just my .02c

Last edited by hman; 07-14-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by faymus
Please someone comfirm this works lol
http://www.flyaudio.us/forum/11-prod...2009-fa040navi

3 Months ago

Thank you for your interest in FlyAudio products. Currently we are out of stock on the Nissan models and our factory is getting ready to launch the new generation products, so the products for Nissan might be discontinued for a while until a couple of months later. Thank you.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by hman
FWIW I live down the street from this company and have bought stereo gear from them in the past. It's usually last years models for way too much money. They've had stuff that's been legit in the past. If you look at the second photo you'll notice it's an OEM Japanese model. Everything's in Asian characters.

Last night me and some friends added a AVIC-920bt to the wifes 09 and I will say it gave me some ideas. As someone above said the Stereo and Climate Control are 2 different Single din units. If you're willing to do a little custom work you can actually pick up. This http://scosche.com/products/productID/1882 and move the CC into the empty slot, since the wiring for the CC comes UP the dash there is enough slack to move it down.

The a Double Din HU can then go into the pocket up to, with some hacking. Because the radio display and CC display is so shallow the hole behind them is shallow. With some plastic cutting of the dash and a custom mount it wouldn't be that hard to move a head unit up there.

Just my .02c
Pics of the AVIC?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:13 AM

In the options to add to the car from the dealer it only allows you to get the monitor package if you have an SV or higher. Is that due to wiring in the car? Anyways if you do have the SV or higher it is only $700 to add the monitor package to the car from the factory. That's not bad. How does that compair to aftermarket install with the same parts?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:03 AM

I thought based on the discussions we have had here that the wiring was diffrent between (S,SV,SPORT) and (Premium and tech). If the SV has the same wiring then we should be able to add the monitor but we will need more parts and thats where the cost goes up. Going aftermarket and getting the above mentioned dash kit would be best. The only thing you lose is the radion controls and BT which is standard in the after market radios and comes with a remote and ipod control,DVD etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ANNINO
Pics of the AVIC?
Crappy Cell phone pic but you get the idea. We have to go back into the dash on Tuesday to make some changes. I'll take some pics behind the dash.

Last edited by hman; 07-15-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem as the rest of you guys...I would like to swap my amber out for color.
I did find this site out, but I'm not sure if the system is a legit fit for 09-10 maximas.
Check it out...it was install manual on the site.
http://www.autodvdgps.com/nissan-080...oth-p-698.html
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 AM

sream,

I've seen that before. I'm curious as to what happens with the HVAC controls and display? Are they shown on the new 7" monitor? The Teana appears to have the same center dash section as our 7th gen maxima.

Also, has anyone consulted the factory service manual yet for specifics on the wiring harnesses?

I'm currently pretty bored so I might poke around a bit.

EDIT:

I've just read through the FSM AV and LAN sections. There are SIGNIFICANT differences in the two different systems (Bose w/Monochrome Disply and Bose w/Color Screen w.o./Navi).

So many that I would suggest the costs could easily exceed several thousand dollars. The wiring harnesses are indeed different. I was hoping that they were the same and that the connector pinouts were just different. That would have been easy to get around. But no, the harnesses are different. In addition, the color screen without navi also has the rear view camera system. This system has it's own control box. I would wager that the ECU would throw a fit if that weren't there.

I think the best way to get a color screen is to trade your car in.

Last edited by umdpru; 07-22-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks umdpru
The HVAC control stay there and the system is touchscreen. The manual also states that you cut no wires (plug & play)??
How do you attach pdf files to the thread? I will post a copy for you to look at.

sream
Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 PM

Crappy Cell phone pic but you get the idea. We have to go back into the dash on Tuesday to make some changes. I'll take some pics behind the dash.

What happened to all the info displayed on the amber display up top when you swapped units. Is there any intregation with your new screen and the amber screen.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:29 AM

sream, no need to post the pdf. I'm a dolt and didn't notice the HVAC controls are still there and the display for the HVAC is still intact. It's too bad the radio portion of the screen is still there. It'd be neat to have a form, fit, function replacement for hte monochrome screen!

Who wants to bet the monochrome screen will be eliminated for a color on within the next few years?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi umdpru
What do you think about the wiring issue...do you think it is compatible? I'm might try this if so.
sream
Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM

Well I agree with those who have already tried or indicated that it cannot be done as a quick swap. It can be done but the cost as you know is outrages. I can report that after taking the ac/radio display apart it is possible to relocate those items and install a monitor in the slot. The Maxima has great potential for a customizer or someone who has the cash to do a custom set up. Here is my idea, install a full touch screen 7" monitor/radio/gps in the dash. Move the AC controls to the single cubby hole where the acc plug is (like the BMW 7series) and install the ac display in the slot below the radio after making the cut out. You may or may not lose the steering wheel controls and that depends on what you are willing to spend. I calculate about 2 grand total for parts and labor.

Here is a picture of the ac/radio display (rear view)
So the A/C display *is* separate? I'm installing a single DIN Alpine CDA-117 in my '09 SV Sport soon and would love to relocate the A/C display down to the bottom and do a replacement monitor up top. That would be fantastic!

Also, does anyone know where I can get a replacement panel for that lower piece of the dash? Mine is that knock off carbon fiber and I don't think the single DIN install kit has a matching plate. Not sure i'd want it to anyway, that CF isn't exactly what i'd call attractive.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

This is a good heads up for me if I am going to get a 2011 to get the monitor package.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 AM

i think i have have found the solution to all my problems changed out all the lights in my car but the orange has to go and this is the start of it not still what to do with the amber screen ...
Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 AM

sream,

I spent about 2 hours looking through the FSM's to see if there was indeed a wiring harness difference. I didn't specifically find that, however, I did find that many of the connectors had different pin locations for the same functions such as "ground" and "power". This leads me to believe that the wiring harnesses are different.

that's not to say that a clever, electrically minded, person couldn't change the pin locations on the connectors and make things work. I just think it will be very difficult especially when considering that all of these various modules are all interconnected and ultimately connected to the main computer of the car via the CANbus communications lines. I'm willing to bet that if you managed to install all of the necessary hardware and wiring, a software change would need to be made to th e main computer. I belive the Body Control Module is responsible for everything other than tranny and engine operation.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all your help umdpru
I'm electronically stupid so that scraps me!
sream
Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey I Have 2010 Maxima SV with sport package... though my car came with the standard screen (meaning ugly red led looking screen) is there any way i can get the color screen with OUT nav.. installed? (at the dealer)...if so how much..and if its worth it? thanks

Update: It seems like there is no possible way to install nav or even the color screen from the dealer. if the car came with the orange color screen it will for ever be that way... thanks but i think this thread should be closed... ....

PS: i was also thinking would it be possible to mount a ipad.... could be interesting...

Last edited by sthammer; 08-31-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This setup will be possible for you but will not be a plug-n-play you will have to replace your dash harness as well as purchase all the materials needed for the project. I purchased the complete set that needed to be done but don't have the time or money to finish if you are interested in purchasing please email me at dddavis@udc.edu.

I have all the material you would need to complete this project which is:
Maxima SV dash harness with tech package connector, navigation screen, gps antenna, Carbon fiber & wood grain faceplate w/ ac controls, bluetooth mount, and rear-view camera.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you are interested in adding factory nav to your 09-2010 Maxima. I have all the materials needed to complete the project. Which are listed below:
  • Navigation Display
  • GPS Antenna
  • Bluetooth mount
  • Control Assembly
  • 6-CD changer
  • Faceplate w/ ac controls (carbon fiber & wood-grain)
  • Maxima SV dash harness

I started to add it to my 2010 Maxima S and I just do not have the time or money for an install. But if you are interested I will sell for a fraction of what I paid for it. The listing is posted on Ebay for anybody who is interested in purchasing the complete technology package for the 09-2010 Maxima SV
Old 09-09-2010, 07:08 PM

That. Black slot is for a sd memory card.. They no longer have that in the 2010 because they now have USB so u can use a USB thumb drive so no need for sdcard
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anybody verify that this product is legit

http://www.autodvdgps.com/nissan-080...ma-dvd-player-
with-gps-navigation-and-7-digital-touch-screen-bluetooth-p-698.html
Ran into while I was searching if anybody had successfully installed an colored LCD screen.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 AM

sounds like the general consensus is that the $700 for the Navi/monitor package is worth it when buying the car! I thought the same thing - that the orange LCD screen was ugly and I'd be looking at adding a monitor later. thank god I just got the car the way I want it, after reading this thread I'm very glad!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 AM

Awesome job.

How come you decided to not mount the navi up top, above the HVAC amber display? I'm sure there would be custom work needed for a mount, but its definitely doable.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:19 PM

so happy i opted for the tech i go crazy with that amber screen i can see y everyone is taking it out
Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sthammer
PS: i was also thinking would it be possible to mount a ipad.... could be interesting...
Here is an 04 iPad install" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqaFANOC3Y

Not sure how we could mount it in the 7th Gen but it is interesting.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM

This is something that has not been mentioned yet but I'm guessing it has to be possible. What about changing the way the Amber screen lights up? It there a way to change the back light to a different color? I mean the popular Interior LED upgrade could really benefit if we could crack this thing open and change the back light to blue. Anyone who knows how this type of screen works want to advise me?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Premium package No-NAV color screen

Originally Posted by HOKUSMAX
That is what I am describing. Let's see a picture of it.

I have a 2011 SV with Premium pkg. It either comes with the "monitor package" or it was also added to the car. I can't remember. Here is a pic of what it looks like. This is not a touch screen. The monitor pkg adds the color screen and backup camera

Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Premium package No-NAV color screen

Originally Posted by HOKUSMAX
That is what I am describing. Let's see a picture of it.

OK so my pic failed, I will get back to that....sorry
Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mdg78
OK so my pic failed, I will get back to that....sorry
Hopefully this works: Here is that pic.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by copekyle
This is something that has not been mentioned yet but I'm guessing it has to be possible. What about changing the way the Amber screen lights up? It there a way to change the back light to a different color? I mean the popular Interior LED upgrade could really benefit if we could crack this thing open and change the back light to blue. Anyone who knows how this type of screen works want to advise me?
this requires taking the circuit board out that has the LEDs on it, desoldering the old amber LEDs off, and soldering new LEDs on of whatever color you want. 1 or 2 members have done this, it's a ton of labor, but good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Baccala1976
I have the S model and the amber display doesn't bother me at all. The one thing that does bother me is that it doesn't have RDS.
.....LMAO that bothers me too....so now I have to shazam all the songs
Old 02-24-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Baccala1976
I have the S model and the amber display doesn't bother me at all. The one thing that does bother me is that it doesn't have RDS.
I agree! I test drove the SV prior to my S purchase and I just figured it had RDS... I was wrong!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Going to install a Pioneer Avic X930T this weekend..any of you guys have this unit in your car?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mstewart18
I agree! I test drove the SV prior to my S purchase and I just figured it had RDS... I was wrong!
the thing i have noticed is I have the amber screen and certain radio stations I have the RDS but a lot I dont. In my Impala I swear that stuff came up on all the stations but for some reason those same stations I dont aways get it...

Quick Reply: Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?