7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:00 AM

Arrow Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?

OK Gang -

New Challenge for you. I have the SV Sport with the BOSE system, NO NAVI. I would love to put an OEM Navi System or Color Display in my Max, because I cant stand the amber, 1980's Atari looking Display screen for the Audio/HVAC System. It Drives me nuts that song titles don't fit on the screen, and the whole dam thing just looks out of place on an otherwise luxurious looking dash. I dunno WHAT nissan was thinking with this horrible display!

My question for anyone here is this...

Does anybody know if the OEM Navi Set up would be a simple plug and play replacement for the Setup I have now? I know alot of the older units (In Murano's for example) Could just be swapped out for the Navi system and a new head unit, Display and Display Control Unit.

I am hoping to find a used system, out of a **gasp** Wrecked Maxima, or maybe an Infiniti somewhere. I just need to know if anyone has knowledge as to whether the systems are interchangable, or whatnot.

Hell, I would be happy if I could just get my hands on the setup to change it over to a color display - I don't even really care about the navi so much, as I want that horrendous screen out of my dash. Its so antiquated and cheezy looking for such a new and technologically advanced car. Hope they get rid of that crap in 2010... Hell my Base Model "S" '06 Murano even had a full color display for the Audio & HVAC contols - 3 years later, and Nissan is still installing circa 1990 displays? Did we go back in time?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:47 AM

lol i agree with you on the 80s looking display, Ive seen other maximas with it, and thats all i said to myself was thank god i got the tech package.

As for adding an oem navi, its probably possible but good luck finding one. I havent seen any one in this forum or anyother forum do a swap yet, I would love to see someone do this tho very interesting
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM

You can start by investigating the factory service manual to see if there are differences in the wiring harness between the two.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM

That is the ONLY reason why i opted to get the Technology package. when i saw the amber display i was sooo disgusted. haha
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM

Am I the only one that finds the Non-Tech Package display to not be that bad? Sure the colour might be a little off puting but it could be a whole lot worse looking to begin with and the colour matches the rest of the lighting in the car.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Am I the only one that finds the Non-Tech Package display to not be that bad? Sure the colour might be a little off puting but it could be a whole lot worse looking to begin with and the colour matches the rest of the lighting in the car.

I have the S model and the amber display doesn't bother me at all. The one thing that does bother me is that it doesn't have RDS.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 PM

I did not even consider getting the Amber display - absolutly terrible they put that in there. IN fact all of the abmer lighting needs to go. Whitish/blue LEDs look the best!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 PM

all i know is taking the thing apart is a piece of cake ... the climate control display is clipped in then you pull out the bottom carbon fiber part then unscrew the middle audio controls.... and where in the world would you buy the navi because ill def get one.. the car is prewired for it anyway
Old 08-13-2009, 03:35 PM

You can get it at courtesyparts.com . Looks like its 800 bucks for a color screen, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Back in the Max

I would imagine you would need the panels with the controls since they are different then bose.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:46 PM

A couple dealerships I called said they don't install the OEM Nav. I wanted to have it done to my sport but apparently they can't/won't. If you find out different that would be interesting. I think ALL SV models should have color...save the amber screen for the S models. I don't think its a terrible screen, but for a sticker of 36,000 dollars it SHOULD be color screen.

Last edited by mls277; 08-13-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:26 AM

I guess what I don't understand is why Nissan opted for such a dated looking display in the first place, especially since as indicated below, the BOSE system is available WITH an color screen, WITHOUT Navi. If you look in the the A/V section of the service manual, there are four different setups (thats as far as I have dug at this point, will look harder when I have more time) The Different combos are as follows;

-Base Audio
-BOSE with MONOTONE (Read "Dated") Display
-BOSE with COLOR Display w/o Navi
-BOSE with COLOR Display w/ Navi

Its the 3rd choice that gets my hopes up, as the lack of Navi isn't what bothers me, as much as the caliber of the display... I am going to try to determine if it's just a matter of swapping out the displays, or if you need to change the whole setup (screen, DCU, HVAC controls, Head Unit) out.

EDIT: From what I can tell, the 4 MAJOR componts of the NAVIGATION system can be purchased HERE:
http://www.factorynissanparts.com/pa...layCatalogid=0

However they are REALLY Expensive. You also have to purchase a whole new panel containing all of the controls for the Audio & HVAC systems.

UGH... the $5K+ Cost alone puts it out of my reach. BASTARDS. LOL.

Last edited by LVleo78; 08-14-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm not trying to jack your thread, but is it possible to put a navigation system in place of the stock. I have the the non color screen with amber lights, non bose, and I know it has the a/c display at the bottom of the screen. So my question is, is it possible to bypass this or am I stuck with the amber screen.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Thats what this thread is about actually... coming up with a way to lose the crappy orange display, for something more befitting of the car. But there is alot more to it than simply changing the screen. You will need all the parts listed in the diagram above (and some that are not listed as well, I'm sure) Buying new is probably going to be a minimum $5K investment, which is why I am holding off at the moment...
Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 AM

another option you have is just pulling out the radio controls and putting in a flip out screen there.....it would be pretty phat because you would have the screen up top and another screen under it....lolol just my opinion and it would cost 4k less ....lol
Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM

If you guys look at my thread "2010 Maxima on Sale", starting from the SV model, the Monitor Package is avalible for a small 700 dollars. It basically includes the 7-inch monitor(exactly like the Premium Package), 2GB memory, and a USB port.

Just trying to stimulate some ideas.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by dauntlessmax
If you guys look at my thread "2010 Maxima on Sale", starting from the SV model, the Monitor Package is avalible for a small 700 dollars. It basically includes the 7-inch monitor(exactly like the Premium Package), 2GB memory, and a USB port.

It doesn't work that way, that pricing is with a new car only.... Prices at the parts counter will be significantly higher.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM

Monitor Package

Dauntless, do you have anymore information as to exactly what this "monitor package" consists of besides whats listed above? To me, it sounds like the monitor package would be some sort of rear seat entertainment (i.e. monitors in the Headrests, since the 2010 has DVD playback capability) either that, or something to do with the rear view monitoring system (when backing up)

Either way, i doubt it has anything to do with the Dash set up, and in order to change out the system to color display, or OEM Navi, you also need to change out the head unit, which is what contains the Display Control Unit, and the Music Box HDD, etc. Thats why it's so damn expensive.

Last edited by LVleo78; 08-17-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 AM

I did a quick check for you guys ... the wiring harness are different between the two, so it can't be done without re-wiring the car. I assume everyone has the factory service manual?

The harness for the mono HU can be found on page AV-124 and page AV-258 for the color LCD HU. More than twice the number of connectors.

The harness for the displays are also different. Page AV-144 for the mono display and page AV-294 for the color LCD. Twice the number of pins on the harness.

Last edited by terrycs; 08-17-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:44 AM

HMMM, I'll have to check that out, but thanks for the insight!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey everyone,

I am going through some hassles with the dealer about an issue similar to this. I got the amber display and was told that iPod functionality could be added (steering wheel controls included) after purchase. Well, turns out this wasn't possible so now I am in the process of trying to get them to fix this issue.

I was told the Nav system could be added to get iPod functionality and it would cost $10,000.I def won't be paying that since this is their fault and i don't even want the stupid nav. Plus that price seems absolutely ludicrous to em when the Tech package could eb added for only $4,000. So now, I am going to look into the possibility of adding the monitor package listed for the 2010 model and see if this is possible. The dealer seems pretty incompetent but I will let u all know what happens with this.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by LVleo78
Dauntless, do you have anymore information as to exactly what this "monitor package" consists of besides whats listed above? To me, it sounds like the monitor package would be some sort of rear seat entertainment (i.e. monitors in the Headrests, since the 2010 has DVD playback capability) either that, or something to do with the rear view monitoring system (when backing up)

Either way, i doubt it has anything to do with the Dash set up, and in order to change out the system to color display, or OEM Navi, you also need to change out the head unit, which is what contains the Display Control Unit, and the Music Box HDD, etc. Thats why it's so damn expensive.
LVleo, this is what's included in the Monitor Package: A 7-inch color monitor, RearView Monitor, auxiliary audio/video input jack, iPod® net and 2GB Music Server. Pretty much everything on the Premium models w/o navigation.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:16 AM

Hmmmm....

LVleo, this is what's included in the Monitor Package: A 7-inch color monitor, RearView Monitor, auxiliary audio/video input jack, iPod® net and 2GB Music Server. Pretty much everything on the Premium models w/o navigation.
Wonder if we will be able to find the items for just this setup, to upgrade from that nasty orange screen. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and let everyone know if I find out anything...
Old 09-06-2009, 01:57 PM

If you get can the monitor Package then Im going to try for it as well as I would love to have that as an option.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

do u reckon it will work if i only change the display unit
Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by cheekyfeel
do u reckon it will work if i only change the display unit
Nope- reread this thread. The wiring harness between the two systems are quite different. Changing the display will only result in bigger problems.

Unfortunately, changing out the wiring harness is not a simple task and could also result in other electronic issues. I suspect the bottom line is either sell the car and buy one with the display you really want, or live with the one you have.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dkmura
Nope- reread this thread. The wiring harness between the two systems are quite different. Changing the display will only result in bigger problems.

Unfortunately, changing out the wiring harness is not a simple task and could also result in other electronic issues. I suspect the bottom line is either sell the car and buy one with the display you really want, or live with the one you have.
thanks for the reply
i think i will have to live with it.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:17 AM

2010 sv with monitor package

Hey guys

I've searched around a bunch for this and I cannot find the answer- I wanted to know if the monitor package WITHOUT nav moves the A/C controls down below the radio like the nav package does- I really like how having the A/C controls below the radio fills up that area. Pics anyone? Again it is the non-nav monitor package, I haven't been able to find any pics of this. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Instead of replacing the two amber lcd screens with a factory one how about doing a full replacement with a after market color lcd. I was thinking about doing this because I would like to do more than just have a color screen. A aftermarket one will have a lot more options to play with than just the factory one. The Electronic Engineer in me says do it but the sane side of me says wait until I have a backup plan.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
The first Maxima I test drove didn't have the tech package and I didn't think the display was that bad. But then the salesman showed me the color display, and it was so freakin awesome looking I had to have it. I loved how the XM Radio fully displayed the artist and title. I actually still prefer my Garmin Nuvi over the stock GPS system so I don't even use the GPS, but the display was worth the upgrade.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM

to help out those still a little confused...

the first is the Fancy One...

the second one is the one, us the Poor Average Joe's have

Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM

just monitor package

What I still have not seen anywhere is an interior with JUST the monitor package with NO nav, unless it looks like the top photo and the nav-related buttons are just inactive...

edit: I think I found my answer, pg. 164 of the manual I found online shows a version of the controls under the color screen with no nav buttons, with less buttons and no a/c controls so the controls must be located under the radio.

Last edited by HOKUSMAX; 03-01-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:43 PM

wish i can have the graphite/carbon fiber look instead of the wood
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by HOKUSMAX
What I still have not seen anywhere is an interior with JUST the monitor package with NO nav, unless it looks like the top photo and the nav-related buttons are just inactive...

edit: I think I found my answer, pg. 164 of the manual I found online shows a version of the controls under the color screen with no nav buttons, with less buttons and no a/c controls so the controls must be located under the radio.
Premium package with no NAV comes with a color screen (non touch) and back-up camera as opposed to the sport package which has the amber display. For MY2010, they made whats called the monitor package. That gives standard SV's and Sport package cars the option of having the color screen a backup camera, AND a music box for about $610 extra bucks.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by logik05se
Premium package with no NAV comes with a color screen (non touch) and back-up camera as opposed to the sport package which has the amber display. For MY2010, they made whats called the monitor package. That gives standard SV's and Sport package cars the option of having the color screen a backup camera, AND a music box for about $610 extra bucks.
That is what I am describing. Let's see a picture of it.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250589772709

Check this out guys!!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 PM

Is that legit? Also how does it affect the temperature controls etc?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:51 AM

The guy that is selling it stated there apparently it doesnt affect anything. The temperature settings are shown on screen like the SV w/color screen. But looking at the pictures he has on the listing shows a seperate temperature screen below the radio controls. I'm still hesitant on it, so we are going to need a 'guinea pig', lol. Any takers??
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM

We are talking about a $27k+ mistake if anything goes wrong. I don't know about you guys, but I'm still making payments on my '09. I'd much rather deal with my amber screen!
Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by ajohnson088

Wow. That looks sketch-tastic.

Quick Reply: Swap Out BOSE System w/Amber Screen for OEM Navi or Color Display Setup?