7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

DIY TPMS reset tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jackpine
OK, so I paid big $$$ to have a remote car starter installed over the winter and when going to swap out the winter and summer tires I noticed the bleeping techs who installed the remote car starter taped up the entire wiring harness and the TPMS interface wire is nowhere to be found. They left a complete mess of wires and didn't do any other wire management. In fact the remote starter box is just sitting loose above the wiring harness - pissed that I paid extra for a reputable shop to do a quality job. I've tried twice to locate the TPMS interface plug again and failed due to the tight confines of the area and the taped up harness. I thought it was a white wire and female plug when I followed the process outlined by Juggernaut23 last fall. Any tips on locating this plug again? Would taking off part of the dash or removing the driver's seat out make this easier? I'm not a big guy but I'm starting to feel claustrophobic stuck under the dash all night. Thanks!
I thought I would never find mine but you do have to remove or at least partially remove the dash. The good news is that you only need to remove the end cover and remove one screw to get to it! I used a nylon pry tool from harbor freight for the end plate (open driver door and you will see it against the dash). Then remove the fuse cover and the remove the single Phillips head screw securing the lower dash and gently pry off the lower dash.) I could never find the TPMS without doing this.

Of note, after finding that cable, the tpms relearn process worked great!
Old 01-12-2015, 11:37 AM

Does anyone know if the manual DIY TPMS RESET procedure workson brands other than just Schrader? I was thinking of buying a set off Ebay, having it installed at a shop and reset the sensors myself.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:35 AM

Hi all. So, I put winter tires on my stock rims last November and I just ordered some summer rims + tires. I'm getting tpms sensors installed. I've messaged tirerack to have them tape the tpms I'd numbers to the new tires.

Has anyone got the DIY wire tap method to work on brand new tires that have never been programmed to the car? Or is that method only for repairing your already programmed tpms sensors?

If I get the tool for $150. Do I need an OBD II reader as well, or just the one tool?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Is this the tool I would need? (If the paper clip thing doesn't work for switching between two sets of tpms sensors).

http://www.ateq-tpms.com/vt15-tpms-activator/
Old 03-17-2015, 05:06 AM

I'm a little surprised that no one has responded to this. Do most of you own all seasons? Is it too much hassle to reprogram the tpms ourselves so everyone just goes to the dealer? Do you guys not care about the light so you just don't bother reprogramming at all?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:53 AM

I just live with the light during the winter.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:37 AM

It's almost time to throw my winter wheels back on.

Can anyone confirm if the DIY wire tap method will work on brand new tpms's that have never been programmed to the car? Or is that method only for re-pairing your already programmed sensors?

I'm considering wiring up something a little more permanent (small button mounted under the dash) so that I don't have to take everything apart twice a year.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:44 PM

I had to replace one of the sensors in my car, due to old one leaking and tire shop stripping threads on the original sensor stem. I went to autozone and bought Schrader 28204, which is basically the original Nissan sensor without the Nissan markings. I was concerned with it actually because it was missing most of the markings. The sensor is $49, and if you use $15 off $50 coupon it comes down to even more reasonable $35 plus tax.

Comparing the sensors side by side, aside from color and missing some markings the size and shape was identical. My oem sensor was dark green 40700-JA02B. The Schrader replacement is Harbor Freight red color.
Schrader web site has a cross reference chart and calls out 28204 as direct OEM replacement.

Installing the new sensor into the rim is a pretty simple affair. Push the sensor through the hole and tighten the nut to 68 inch-lbs (note inch not feet). No sealer required.
Get the tire mounted and balanced.

The final step was to get the car to recognize the sensor. This was a bit of a nervous affair. I followed the steps to manually activate TPMS learning procedure by grounding
the single pin plug. This was pretty simple, tap ground 6 times after you press start
button twice, without pressing brake pedal (ie the car is not running, but radio is on).
Just follow the exact procedure outlined.

I want to share my experience trying to get the sensor recognized, because it did not go as expected. I set the tire pressures, got TPMS into learning mode and went for a drive.
The first time I took rural road, and may have not traveled in excess of 25-30mph, driving for around 10 mins, I heard a loud beep and TPMS light came on solid. I mistook it for successful system initialization. It was not. The successful initialization makes no noises whatsoever. After I hunted for the beep noise info, I realized that procedure did not work. I repeated the procedure and it did not work the second time either. I was driving for about 12min until the long beep.
Finally I decided to give it one more try, I measured the tire pressures from the second try and realized that I was slightly off on 3 of the 4 tires. The pressures should be 34, 31, 29, 26. I adjusted the pressures once more and went for a ride. After about 4mins going 40mph, the light went off without a noise and then turned back on. BINGO.
That is exactly whats expected. Inflated the tires back to 33psi and light is off for good.

A bit of warning. By second try I was starting to have a bad feeling that the sensor I bought was defective or fake. Unfortunately by that time, it was already mounted on the tire. If that turned out
to be true, I would have had to pay to get tire dismounted and remounted, again.
If you have a way to determine if sensor is good and transmitting as expected before mounting it, you will not have to worry about whether you are missing something about the re-learn process vs dealing with defective sensor. So perhaps, ask the tire dealer to ping the sensor before mounting the tire.

TLDR:
manual procedure works great for both OEM and aftermarket Schrader 28204 sensor.
make sure to set tire pressure precisely to 34, 31, 29, 26 for the procedure to work

Good luck,
Max

Last edited by maxud; 03-21-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

UPDATE!

People had shown the link on Amazon that sells the ATEQ QuickSet for $149.00.
Tire Rack has the same unit for $119.00 and free shipping!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail....D=2115&ID=2115