7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 AM
  #81  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 42
Honestly, when I first went to test drive 09 Maxima, I didn't quiet understand the CVT. I was very skeptical. It felt like I was stuck in 2nd gear, but then the sales person did not do a good job in showing me the car and its features. Test drive was like on a busy street for literally 5 mins and this was my first time driving any car with CVT.

I really wanted to like the Max, so I went to another dealership and I shared my concerns with him. He let me test drive it on the highway for good 15 mins. He showed me different modes (D, Ds and M). After that test drive, I felt that the CVT was slick!!! I felt that this was much better than Automatic. Now that I have been driving it for over a month, I love the CVT, I cannot see myself go back to the regular Automatic. Manual mode is fun to drive and D mode is as smooth as it gets. CVT rocks!
slvr_4dsc is offline  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 PM
  #82  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 8,109
Originally Posted by slvr_4dsc View Post
After that test drive, I felt that the CVT was slick!!! I felt that this was much better than Automatic. Now that I have been driving it for over a month, I love the CVT, I cannot see myself go back to the regular Automatic. Manual mode is fun to drive and D mode is as smooth as it gets. CVT rocks!


Sound sort of like my experience. When I first heard of the CVT (over a decade ago), my first thought was to recall that long-ago experiment in Holland, where a large, strong rubber band was mounted over a tapered cone in a flimsy econobox. Not very impressive.

Once the Maxima became 'CVT only', I decided I had to clear almost sixty years of driving with manuals and automatics from my brain, and approach this CVT with an open mind. Having my degree in Geophysics, I already understood that applying very basic laws of Physics shows us the CVT will eventually be both a more economical and a quicker accelerator than shifting trannnies. The CVT is not quite at that point yet, but is getting very close.

My first drive with the CVT convinced me this thing CANNOT be driven like we would drive an automatic. We have to sense exactly what the CVT is doing, and make very careful adjustments in accelerator pressure in order to obtain exactly the response we want.

Driving an automatic at an optimum level can require some knowledge and experience with auto trannies, but they can easily be driven at less than an optimal manner with little performance degradation. The auto tranny is a good default tranny for the masses.

As for the manual, I am convinced one reason many manual tranny folks do not like the CVT is that they are used to driving a manual, which is a fairly simple and easy tranny to drive, and which requires little thought. Once double-clutching is mastered, and you know when to shift, there really isn't anything more to know with the manual; slip it in the gear you want, ease the clutch out and mash the gas pedal. And wave at the ladies as you cruise by. That is all there is. I loved manuals back in the late 1940s, and drove them as recently as 1984.

But to drive the CVT at an optimum level is a totally different ball game. Some folks will never master this. Many will never even try, because they are still living under that old myth that a manual gives more control over the car. With the four ways we have of operating the CVT in this new Maxima, that is no longer true.

But I can't criticize the manual folks, because there have been times and situations in which I fought change to the bitter end, and remain convinced to this day the change was not for the better, so I understand the situation my manual friends are in, and sympathize with their plight.

Thankfully, I feel the change to CVT was for the better, learn more about how best to drive this CVT every day, and now love it.
lightonthehill is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
  #83  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by slvr_4dsc View Post
Honestly, when I first went to test drive 09 Maxima, I didn't quiet understand the CVT. I was very skeptical. It felt like I was stuck in 2nd gear, but then the sales person did not do a good job in showing me the car and its features. Test drive was like on a busy street for literally 5 mins and this was my first time driving any car with CVT.

I really wanted to like the Max, so I went to another dealership and I shared my concerns with him. He let me test drive it on the highway for good 15 mins. He showed me different modes (D, Ds and M). After that test drive, I felt that the CVT was slick!!! I felt that this was much better than Automatic. Now that I have been driving it for over a month, I love the CVT, I cannot see myself go back to the regular Automatic. Manual mode is fun to drive and D mode is as smooth as it gets. CVT rocks!
My test drive was very similar, about 30 minutes long. Being shown the CVT in full along with the different modes is one of the main reasons I decided to buy my Max.
dconn is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 PM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 738
here is my take on the CVT, while it took some getting used to on a whole I have to say I like it simply because its nice not to have shift shock all the time and it yields decent fuel economy, getting 22-23 mpg avg around town which is excellent for a car with almost 300hp under the hood

the CVT though on the downside takes away from the Maxima in being a true sports sedan, plain and simple, the smooth, high whinny drone it makes under acceleration does nothing to make the car feel sporty in its driving compared to a regular automatic transmission or manual for that matter; now, I don't feel it makes the Maxima a bad car, in fact the reason I got the car was because I wanted something more with smooth luxury feel and driving characterisitcs but at the same time had a aggressive/sportier body style and handling to it and the Maxima fits the bill perfectly; if anything, the CVT and suspension on the Maxima makes it drive more like a Lexus ES350 but with a more aggressive body style obivously, better/ more crisp handling, and slightly more road feel but without it being to firm as a Acura TSX or Infiniti G37

there is a reason why BMW and the entire Infiniti line uses 7-speed automatic transmissions and manuals rather than CVTs, because they know a CVT takes away from the sporty driving dynamics that a normal automatic and better yet manual provide

suffice it to say though that I didn't want a firm sporty ride and feel to the car and feel the Maxima fits the luxury comfort bill nicely!!!!
smarty666 is offline  
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 PM
  #85  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Andalusia Alabama
Posts: 14
CVT is designed to perform at the engines peak torque at all times. It works in conjunciton with vvt and cvvtc. Like i have said in previous threads the problem people have is getting used to the pattern at which it operates ( no shift). Every time a conventional tranny is shifting the cvt is still pulling and losing no time. Dont believe it. Race a mustang Gt. The owner will talk lots of trash because the v8 sound makes him feel powerful until you smoke his a**. This is coming from a previous Gt owner.
slatesv is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:18 AM
  #86  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: southern cal
Posts: 7
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Topend View Post
Young or old, you cerainly can find a sweet spot in using the cvt,yes it can be mundane for some who feel that they need to be more connected,but this transmission is so efficient in it's delivery that by leaving it in normal mode it actually performs better.I have been riding snowmobiles for over 25 yrs and there is no better feeling then pinning the throttle and having virtually no lag,as such in the Max.Comparison aside the Max does everything reasonably well.

As far as the older generation is concerned,this car is appealing to any age group,and if I feel a need for speed I'll take out my 4th gen SS with stick in hand and row thru the gears.
i agree, i have a camaro ss and love to shift gears, but my 09 max has no lagg, at least none i can feel. this car is appealing to all age groups and it is the best to drive in traffic situations. there is nothing more annoying than having to have one foot on the clutch the other on the gas then switching it back to the brake pedal a few seconds later, and so on in rush hour traffic.

cvt is the way to go and i agree with those who say it is here to stay
JR27 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM
  #87  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Suitland, MD
Posts: 26
Its great...and most cars can't keep up with its acceleration from a stop !
MaxDrive81 is offline  
Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 AM
  #88  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by JR27 View Post
i agree, i have a camaro ss and love to shift gears, but my 09 max has no lagg, at least none i can feel. this car is appealing to all age groups and it is the best to drive in traffic situations. there is nothing more annoying than having to have one foot on the clutch the other on the gas then switching it back to the brake pedal a few seconds later, and so on in rush hour traffic.

cvt is the way to go and i agree with those who say it is here to stay
We love our Nissan Sentra SER with CVT and it has shown itself to be very economical: we got 35.2 mpg at a steady 70 mph when we were on vacation and the EPA is only 30 mpg. It is a learning transmission that adjusts to how you drive. It also uses engine compression to control vehicle speed on downhills so the intended MPH is maintained (and speed traps discouraged!)

We received an important piece of mail from Nissan National Headquarters TODAY, 11/20/09 which was really great news:

Nissan had doubled the powertrain warranty of the CVT transmissions to 10 years, 120,000 miles at no cost to the owner. CVT repairs, replacements, and related towing will be paid for by the manufacturer.

The extended transmission warranty is fully transferable to future owners.

Nissan will reimburse customers who have previously paid to repair or replace their CVT transmission. This includes previous owners who no longer own the car and would have been covered under the warranty extension.

Nissan provided a sticker to be placed onto the warranty book.

They are taking this action to demonstrate their confidence in CVT technology and to show their commitment to stand behind their products.

Nissan CVT Customer Assistance Center: 888-388-0318

also, www.NissanAssist.com.

The deadline for submitting a Reimbursement Claim Form is July 31, 2010.
FloydMax is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 667
I am very happy with the CVT. At first I hated it at first. I just slap it in Ds when I drive it and now I love it. My wife can leave it in D.
Xpcgamer is offline  
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 PM
  #90  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: imperial valley-SOCAL
Posts: 10
I like cvt speacially now that Nissan added a 10yr 120miles warranty on 03-10 vehicles with cvt yahooooo.
cleanmaxima is offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 07:23 AM
  #91  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Rochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,338
The current CVT is vastly improved over the 6th Gen CVT, which was uncomfortably weird. And although I think the paddle shifters on the 7th Gen are somewhat awkward, the console shifter is very nice, and its kind of fun bumping it up and down the "gears".

But since there are no gears, the make-believe nature of it all is just too much kool-aid. Pretending to shift is ultimately an empty feeling for me. (Please don't flame, I'm just responding with opinions on the CVT.)

The lack of a manual transmission was the only thing keeping me from buying this totally beautiful Maxima. Seriously, everything about this car speaks to me in a positive way, with one show-stopper exception: the CVT. I was really hoping Nissan would introduce the diesel with a 6MT in 2010. But that ship has sailed.
Rochester is offline  
Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM
  #92  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 257
I actually like it. Im only 26 yrs old and I love the tranny. The paddle shifters are surprisingly responsive. They are quicker then my Acura's. I do enjoy the smoothness of it also. And when you do put your foot in the throttle it responds quick and the 3.5 is awesome!!!
2010BlackMax is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 AM
  #93  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 8,109
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
The lack of a manual transmission was the only thing keeping me from buying this totally beautiful Maxima. Seriously, everything about this car speaks to me in a positive way, with one show-stopper exception: the CVT. I was really hoping Nissan would introduce the diesel with a 6MT in 2010. But that ship has sailed.

We can safely assume there will never be another manual Maxima of any kind. Nissan drowned in a bloodbath of red ink the last five years they tried to market a manual Maxima. Dealers could not give them away, so stopped accepting them from Nissan. Not that it really mattered, because, in many areas of the country, traffic has grown so bad a manual would be nothing but a 'pretend' ego booster. And about as effective and efficient as taking a slingshot to a gun battle.
lightonthehill is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 06:05 AM
  #94  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Rochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,338
Originally Posted by lightonthehill View Post
We can safely assume there will never be another manual Maxima of any kind. Nissan drowned in a bloodbath of red ink the last five years they tried to market a manual Maxima. Dealers could not give them away, so stopped accepting them from Nissan. Not that it really mattered, because, in many areas of the country, traffic has grown so bad a manual would be nothing but a 'pretend' ego booster. And about as effective and efficient as taking a slingshot to a gun battle.
I understand what you're saying, and from a business POV, you're right.

However, in the context of this forum, it seems more than half the people here (below the 7th gen) are MT owners. Painfully ironic, you know?
Rochester is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 PM
  #95  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 8,109
Originally Posted by Rochester View Post
I understand what you're saying, and from a business POV, you're right.

However, in the context of this forum, it seems more than half the people here (below the 7th gen) are MT owners. Painfully ironic, you know?

Simple answer: Most of the posters here on Maxima.org are 'DRIVERS.' DRIVERS are folks who have some understanding of vehicles, and care about what they drive. Sadly, most purchasers of vehicles these days do not truly qualify to be called 'DRIVERS.' For most folks on the highway today, a car is something to move them (erratically) from the nail/tanning shop to the stylist while they chat with their friends, munch on a donut, comb their hair and sip a latte.

I certainly remember the days when it was a real rip to take my 5 speed manual Datsun on a winding mountain road. But even those mountain roads are now congested with monstrous RVs 40 feet long, weighing 15,000 pounds, blocking both sides of the road while doing 5 MPH. I fear the 'good old days' are coming to a close, and life will not be as much fun as it once was.
lightonthehill is offline  
Old 11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 147
Well, the cvt has definitively met all expectations of my gf. While cruising over bumps & potholes, she says the steadiness of the transmission shifts has enabled her to provide me with sure & steady service. And the GPS map also helps.
maxout! is offline  
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 912
The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread

This is it guys and girls! The one thread we can all just let it out. No more rehashing old threads that have nothing to do with this subject. Remember this topic is about a Maxima having a CVT or Manual Transmission.
Mreim769 is offline  
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 912
I shall be the first to start....


There was a time and place for the Manual Transmission. Don't get me wrong though I do enjoy rowing my own gears but it has to be the right car and the right place. A daily driver with a manual transmission these days just isn't pracitcal. It takes me about a 1/2 hour to go about 10 miles. Clutch in clutch out, over throttle under throttle. I ended up getting about 10 mpg in my old car before the max, now I get about 16-20 mpg. The rpms are always ridiculously low as oppose to shifting at 2500-3k. Less rpms is less fuel thats just common sense. Everyone talks about the CVT drone and how the driver feels disconnected but that is far from the truth. Very rarely do I ever hit any kind of remote drone sounds and that is when I am way up in the rpms and even when I do get up there I am way too thrilled to even notice anything. Its just one constant pull as oppose to lurking back and forth. Now with the 10 year tranny warranty I don't have to worry about anything going wrong and even when that ends there is so much less to go wrong. No more clutch to burn out, no more bushings to seize, no more gears to grind. I could go on forever... Just get with the times people. Keep the 6 speeds in the weekend car and start putting the ever brilliant CVT in your daily driver. Oh and please pick apart my short story, I like a good challenge
Mreim769 is offline  
Old 01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
  #99  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 257
The CVT took me some time to get used to, but now i just love it!!! so smooth and very efficient. if you do need some extra umph then step on it and there is no shift lag at all!!! just step on the gas and the car responds instantaneously!!! Now would the option for a manual be great for the select few that would want one yes of course, but Nissan can't make that mistake. to much money for a no volume car, no way.

just think of the logistics of getting the manual car with all the options/colors/combo's that people want to them across the nation and or world. no way just for small % of sales.

if someone wants a stick the G37 is the solution! not much more then the maxima. to me it would be awkward to have a stick in the maxima just wouldn't fit to me and this new car. just me though. now the only thing i would like to see is a diesel, but that is another topic all together
2010BlackMax is offline  
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 PM
  #100  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida, Go Gators!
Posts: 640
I love the CVT and like most it was strange at first. I don't, however, hold anything against the ones who still want a manual transmission. I understand that desire, especially if one is fortunate enough to be able to afford this car and still have some youth. But, I also understand the economics of trying to produce both the auto and manual-considering the poor sales numbers for manual Maximas of late. Limited choices equal lower overhead, Which could be a contributing factor in keeping the cost of this car down. Yes, it is an expensive car, but you get a lot for your money.
67whitegoat is offline  
Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 PM
  #101  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,055
No Ax to grind with the Manual "I Row my Own Gears" crowd but this CVT is far superior than a 6 speed in nearly all areas with the exception of speed. To each his own but for me I love the convenience, dependability and the elimination of guesswork that the CVT provides.
bk2k3max is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 AM
  #102  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 8,109
Mreim769, 2010BlackMax, 67whitegoat and bk2k3max pretty much covered things for me.

If I lived in the Rocky Mountains, the Great Plains, West Texas or the Arizona desert, I would lean to the manual for old times sake. But I don't live in those places.

In my lifetime, I have seen the population of the U.S. go from under 100,000,000 to over 300,000,000 souls, and traffic is now a nightmare in many places.

So now I love my CVT. The more I drive it, the better I like it.
lightonthehill is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 05:49 AM
  #103  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: seaside town north of Boston
Posts: 428
I'm enjoying this second generation cvt much more than the first. by the way, light, judging from the times of your posts, you sleep even less than I do!
jc53 is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
  #104  
Love my '09
 
Compusmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,013
I should probably sticky this thread. Hopefully this keeps the debate out of 40,000 other different threads on different subjects.

I would highly expect that at times there's going to be fireworks here, but as long as people stay reasonable....
Compusmurf is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:51 AM
  #105  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Baltimore, MD.
Posts: 88
I came from a stick myself, I enjoyed the thrill of the high-Rev so to speak. But I do sit in I-95 traffic everyday for a few hrs. so it just didn't make sense anymore. This CVT this is whole different animal though. Even the automatics that I have had, I certainly enjoyed the cars acceleration through the gears. Now, that I have this exhaust on the vehicle, I suppose I was looking for the up and down acceleration, which of course just isn't happening. I suppose I should have seen this coming. As far as the gas economy, I am sure it is there (in theory), however I generally can't keep my lead-foot off the throttle enough to find out. But I bought the vehicle without any knowledge of this tranny. Overall, I am pretty pleased with how it shaked out!
imcgjh84 is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 PM
  #106  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 1,334
I'll second the motion to sticky this thread.

I won't bash the CVT, and I'll omit my sig out of respect for this specific forum.

And mention that I'm here courtesy of the "SR enthusiast, 6-speed?" thread.

No point in getting into the same old "heavy traffic vs open road" side of the discussion right away.

So . . .
Originally Posted by Mreim769 View Post
The rpms are always ridiculously low as oppose to shifting at 2500-3k. Less rpms is less fuel
Unfortunately, that's only somewhat true. When you accelerate, you (the PCM, actually) adds some acceleration enrichment fuel. In the old (ancient?) carburetor days, you had a couple of different schemes for accomplishing this, depending on conditions. One was an enrichment sensed from manifold vacuum, and another was based on accelerator (i.e. throttle plate) position. Most carbs featured both. EFI does the same thing, just differently, and you don't get to look down the throttle bore to see if the throttle pedal position based accelerator pump is working.

Anyway, my point is that it is possible to use more fuel at lower rpms than at higher rpms if the relative loads are sufficient to overcome the difference in stoich fueling requirements at the rpms in question.


Everyone talks about the CVT drone and how the driver feels disconnected but that is far from the truth. Very rarely do I ever hit any kind of remote drone sounds and that is when I am way up in the rpms and even when I do get up there I am way too thrilled to even notice anything.
For driving that's either rather mild or wide-open throttle without much in between, that's exactly what I would expect. People who use a lot of throttle modulation (for more than just minor speed adjustments) in their driving could be expected to notice it more. Corner exit at the end of a tight Interstate onramp curve comes to mind.


Its just one constant pull as oppose to lurking back and forth.
I'll give you that passengers in a limo would probably find that preferable. But cleanly executed upshifts in a MT can be all but unnoticeable by means other than the change in the exhaust note once you get halfway decent at it.


Now with the 10 year tranny warranty I don't have to worry about anything going wrong and even when that ends there is so much less to go wrong. No more clutch to burn out, no more bushings to seize, no more gears to grind.
I've read that Nissan's CVT is not serviceable and runs several thousand dollars to replace. If I was a potential buyer, I'd want AT LEAST that long of a warranty on it. Maybe 15 years (I tend to hang on to my cars a long time, but don't run up the miles like I used to)


Just get with the times people.
I guess I'm too independent to let somebody else's idea of what "the times" are or what they think they should be to buy into that at all. So call me a rebel (at 62) and my wife as well (couple years younger, and our 5th Gen Max is actually her DD/commute car).


Keep the 6 speeds in the weekend car and start putting the ever brilliant CVT in your daily driver. Oh and please pick apart my short story, I like a good challenge
I guess my wife and I are lucky. Or maybe we were smarter than we thought back when we moved into the places where we have lived. I guess I am an incorrigible and somewhat hardcore sports car sort, and lucky enough to have married a woman who still prefers doing all of her own shifting as well. I'm not underestimating the importance of that last item.

light - it might be interesting to compare here rather than in the other thread. I make about 30 - 35 shifts on the way to work (5 miles, very light traffic) and about double that in slightly heavier traffic going home. Doesn't seem to matter all that much which car I'm driving - the '95 626/V6, the '08 Mustang GT, or on rare occasion the 20AE Maxima - I end up upshifting and downshifting into the same gears in pretty much the same places.


Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-08-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: can't seem to get the words quite right
Norm Peterson is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:44 PM
  #107  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hfx, N.S.
Posts: 231
I think the cvt is great. I think it really comes down to personal preference. It is whether you want the option of a manual transmission. I do not believe this thread should be “manual vs. auto” but the question is SHOULD THE MAXIMA HAVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION OPTION? My next car will probably be an auto (g37x or 09 max). I have no problem driving the maxima with a cvt but given the option (having a little more control and that nostalgic feel of my 96 Maxima) I would pick a standard over an auto.

See on this forum, there is almost an even split of auto vs. standard drivers. The maxima is back with a great exterior, suspension and engine just adding a 6 speed would make the car complete for allot of enthusiasts on this forum.

Here are some argument examples that come to mind.

Argument
Go get a 6speed 3.5L Altima..
Me
No get rid of the 6speed Altima and put it in the new maxima and make that your only standard tranny option.

Argument
Standard transmissions will never sell in the max.
Me
Based on sales so far on the new max I believe they will sell as many 6 speeds cars or more than the g37, 370z, Acura Tl, Audi A4 & CTS. These cars all have a standard tranny options so can the max. Make it a limited production SR version and this issue will be over. (3000 to 5000 cars /YR)

It not Auto vs standard but can nissan justify giving us the option of a standard transmission.
maxger is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
  #108  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 643
The Max should've got the VQ37 w/ the 7 speed AT and 6 speed manual as an option.

----> Would any 7th gen owners NOT buy the Max if it came with the 3.7 and 7 spd AT?

The CVT belongs in the 4 cylinder Altima, where fuel economy is the number one concern. JMO
BLACKNESS MONSTA is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 PM
  #109  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
Posts: 431
Had-a, would-a, should-a, could-a.

It all boils down to we are whipping a dead horse.
2young2retire is offline  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
  #110  
Love my '09
 
Compusmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,013
lol 2young2retire.

We all know that, but that's not really the point. Everyone is going to have their own opinions, theories, desires, wants. Nothing produced by any company is ever going to be "perfect" for every single person in the world. I like black cars, Lightonthehill likes white. We could argue all day which is better (not that we would of course), but it wouldn't change Nissan's choice to offer either of them. Sorry Light, I just used you as an example since I know you have a white car.

The thread was made tho, so folks have some place to "vent" on what they think is better or not and to attempt to keep it out of all the other threads where this debate sometimes shows up distracting folks from the intentions of those threads and some rather important questions were getting missed and not answered because of it. I fully support the threadstarter on the initiative of doing this, considering that someone should have thought of it before.

Last edited by Compusmurf; 01-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Compusmurf is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 AM
  #111  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
Posts: 431
Yeah, I know. Sometimes it really feels good to get something off your chest even if you know it will not change anything. If you can't vent to your fellow posters, who can you vent to?
2young2retire is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM
  #112  
Senior Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Florida, Go Gators!
Posts: 640
Just curious. I see quite a few posters (not just in this thread) leaving comments or opinions on the 7 Gen. CVT, but it doesn't appear as though they have one. Wondering how many of those people have actually driven one for any period of time or even at all. I'm not being negative, I'm just suggesting if you have not.....find one and drive it.
Not mine though, you can't drive mine.
67whitegoat is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 11:52 AM
  #113  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by 67whitegoat View Post
Just curious. I see quite a few posters (not just in this thread) leaving comments or opinions on the 7 Gen. CVT, but it doesn't appear as though they have one. Wondering how many of those people have actually driven one for any period of time or even at all. I'm not being negative, I'm just suggesting if you have not.....find one and drive it.
Not mine though, you can't drive mine.
Well put. And you may also have noticed a lot of the negative reviews are written by those who do not own, or intend to own, a Maxima.

And no, they cannot drive mine either.
2young2retire is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 PM
  #114  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 643
No need to sound like snobs. I've driven the 7th gen a few times and I've driven the G37 sedan even more times. The VQ37 matched to the 7 spd trans is just epic and would be great if it was in the Max. However, Nissan can still get away with the current setup cuz the Max is still faster and more responsive (in sport) than most of its competitors (Avalon, ES 350, TL)
BLACKNESS MONSTA is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
  #115  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens , NY
Posts: 46
Before the maxima .. (a month ago) i had a 92 corolla ... manual tranny , yeah its as far from a sports car as you can get ,, but i loved the raw feel of a manual tranny, sure the rolla was only putting out 105hp(new ,i'm sure at 140k it was not even half that) but i felt alot more in control of everyone of those old tired horses..,, for the past 10 years all my cars have been toyotas with manual trannies..

so now i have this cvt transmission, i did immediatly notice how low the rpms stay during normal driving. and i do feel a little less intouch with the car.. so i do miss doing my own shifting..

but i also am enjoying not worrying about the shifting , and perhaps because of the difference in comfort levels that my 92 corolla offered vs my maxima i'm fine with the auto.. i honeslty cant say for sure which i would have chosen if the manual was an option , but i think it most likely would have been the auto.
ranmax is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
  #116  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 8,109
Originally Posted by ranmax View Post
Before the maxima .. (a month ago) i had a 92 corolla ... manual tranny , yeah its as far from a sports car as you can get ,, but i loved the raw feel of a manual tranny, sure the rolla was only putting out 105hp(new ,i'm sure at 140k it was not even half that) but i felt alot more in control of everyone of those old tired horses..,, for the past 10 years all my cars have been toyotas with manual trannies..

so now i have this cvt transmission, i did immediatly notice how low the rpms stay during normal driving. and i do feel a little less intouch with the car.. so i do miss doing my own shifting..

but i also am enjoying not worrying about the shifting , and perhaps because of the difference in comfort levels that my 92 corolla offered vs my maxima i'm fine with the auto.. i honeslty cant say for sure which i would have chosen if the manual was an option , but i think it most likely would have been the auto.

Well put. I see you live in Queens. I think you were wise to go with the CVT there. You are probably like me, in that if either of us lived in open country (say like west Texas), we might well have preferred the fun of the manual. Both the newly redesigned CVT and the manual are good trannies.
lightonthehill is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 PM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: a meadow south of Atlanta
Posts: 8,109
Talking

Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
lol 2young2retire.

I like black cars, Lightonthehill likes white. We could argue all day which is better (not that we would of course

Of course we would never argue on this. That could result in me being banned. And there really is no argument anyway. Every thinking person will always choose white as the perfect color for their car. Really no contest here.

Black is passe. Old school. So second millenium. So 'teeney bopper'. Most popular color of the 1920s. Mature vehicle owners understand the eliteness of white as the preferred color of choice. White has social status.

White is a MUCH more visible (hence SAFER) color, especially in poor lighting conditions.

White does not show dirt like black. Even a passing butterfly leaves a noticable trail of powdery dust on a black car. Of course those here who spend the day hanging out with buddies at the local car wash could keep their black car clean. But what kind of life is that?

White helps keep both the exterior and the interior of the car cooler, thus requiring less usage of the air conditioner, which means slightly better fuel efficiency. This is better for both our wallet and the planet.

A white car is a signal the owner has nothing to hide, and nothing to prove. A person buys a white car for practicality and efficiency, as well as a way to show he feels comfortable with himself and his status in life, and has no interest in trying to impress the masses.

When I see a white car, I think 'there goes a mature, secure person who I can depend on to be a reasonable and predictable driver.' I do NOT have that feeling when I see a black car. Black is symbolic for sinister. Black is traditionally asociated with evil deeds. White is fluffy clouds on a promising and beautiful day. Black is tar and darkness and dirty oil and a bleak outlook.

There are two kinds of car owners; those who have come to fully appreciate the vast superiority of white as a car color, and those who have not yet reached that mature stage.

On second thought, we may need a thread dedicated to posts related to the superiority of white over black as a car color?


EDIT - There will be, of course, those who say white is the traditional octogenerian color, the color of those so indecisive they cannot choose a real color, and those who are truly amby-pambi. So what? There are those of us who ARE indecisive ambi-pambi octogenerians.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 01-09-2010 at 06:56 PM.
lightonthehill is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 06:57 PM
  #118  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,055
Originally Posted by BLACKNESS MONSTA View Post
The Max should've got the VQ37 w/ the 7 speed AT and 6 speed manual as an option.

----> Would any 7th gen owners NOT buy the Max if it came with the 3.7 and 7 spd AT?

The CVT belongs in the 4 cylinder Altima, where fuel economy is the number one concern. JMO
HTML Code:
The CVT belongs in the 4 cylinder Altima, where fuel economy is the number one concern
Well, I disagree with you because Nissan intended the Maxima to be more upscale and not about speed/going fast, so IMO the CVT fits right into this plan.

HTML Code:
No need to sound like snobs.
I'm not sure who you are directing this to but this isn't a BMW we drive, we all know it's a Maxima and i don't think anyone here is being snobbish.

There's nothing wrong with taking good care of what you have and being proud of it as well as long as the pride isn't senseless vanity.
bk2k3max is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM
  #119  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,520
lightonthehill, don't even get me started on this white and black thing. I told you in the thread where we were comparing interiors, once you go black, you never go back! And it is a fact. Black is superior. Maybe you've never had black. But when you have your first black experience, just PM me and let me know..., I wouldn't tell everyone on the org.

Black represents social class. Maturity. Commands respect. Very formal. That is why most state cars are black! That is why most expensive cars of class are black!
Formal attire to a lot of formal occassions is black! That is how formal, mature and self-imposing black is. It is the choice of those who know what they want, without being flashy white.

You say white black shows dirt more than white? Are you kidding me? I don't know what kind of white and black you've been looking at. But my wifey owns a white car and I have owned a black car before. I could conveniently go for a while without washing because the dirt does not show much. But my wifeys white Camry shows dirt very easily. I have to wash that car more often than I wash mine! So, I totally disagree with you on that one.

As for colors, when we all go to buy our cars, some of us do not have the choice of color. Why? The car you find at the dealership is a certain color and has the features you like. So, you just go with that because not every buyer can walk into a dealership and request a particular color with all the options they want. So, you people with white, love you whites. Black, adore your blacks. And whatever other colors, enjoy your colors. I don't even own a black, but I know black is more mature, formal and very respectable.
PetitFrereMaxima is offline  
Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM
  #120  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,520
This thread is about CVT compared to manual. I will say I really love manual over cvt for fun driving. But honestly, for practicality in this our society, where a lot of drivers multi-task and I am one of them, I believe in just sitting in the car and stepping on the gas, while I do other stuffs.

Some of the things I have seen people do in their cars while driving...; brushing teeth, shaving, brushing hair, eating donuts, drinking coffee, talking on the phone, texting, reading a map, reading a newspaper, inputting directions in their garmin gps, putting on a shirt, putting on a pant, eating breakfast, having sex (yes, I have seen a couple doing that and driving), and so on and so forth. I have not exhausted the list, maybe some of you guys can help me add some more things on this list.

Because of all these distractions, the fact that traffic can be a nightmare a lot of times, and because we just want to drive without doing much for the car, the CVT is what I prefer.
PetitFrereMaxima is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.