7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 AM

respectable...but no future in the performance field. the '10 Max is awesome in all categories except as a contender from a performance standpoint. it cannot be heavily modded, as the CVT is basically uncharted territory as to what it can do or put up with. much less be tuned.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
respectable...but no future in the performance field. the '10 Max is awesome in all categories except as a contender from a performance standpoint. it cannot be heavily modded, as the CVT is basically uncharted territory as to what it can do or put up with. much less be tuned.
While I tend to agree, let's play Devil's Advocate a little. Who knew back in 2002 that the 5.5 would benefit from phenolic spacers and actually removing the VIAS? Wait a few years for the 7th gen to become affordable to people who want to modify their car, and see what happens.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:25 PM

agreed (for now )
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sorry but I have to say that while the cvt may help with gas mileage, they can use up atf and im my opinion they kill your acceleration. I mean I sooo love how the newest maxima looks but I think it would be so much quicker with a manual or even a traditional automatic the cvt just cant make the torque that an regular auto or especially a manual can make so basically they have but the most powerful ever stock maxima engine in the new car and then paired it with the worst(for acceleration) tranny ever in a maxima, i mean i know that the cvt is silky smooth and very comfortable to drive and i do like the idea of it but in practice idk just seems wrong its like putting 500 horsepower in a fwd car and then sticking like 5 inch tires up front no matter how much power you have you just cant get it all to the ground and thats how this cvt is. but thats just my 2 cents im not saying its a bad tranny I'm just saying that at least the sport or sv models tranny should have really been designed with spirited driving in mind. Still love the new car but if i had one id find a way to get a 5 or 6 spd swapped in there.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:52 PM

=( .. umm my tranny jsut went out! lol! argh!! tempermental thing!! *sighs*
Old 07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

It's only in the low ratio range where acceleration is intentionally a bit "soft". Otherwise it's entirely reasonable for a car of its size and weight.

Though I suppose if your only measure of car acceleration involves standing start drag racing that might actually seem important.

Norm
Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM

First off the 7th gen is the second gen maxima to have a cvt. The 6th had one and in the 7th gen it is much improved. So the worst tranny ever paired with a maxima, it is not.

I think the cvt gets the bulk of the blame for any feel of sluggishness off the line. I think the way Nissan programed their computer to respond in different situations has more to do with it. Just about everything besides the brakes are electronic. The computer decides how to respond with it's gear choice and power output depending on different factors. I've noticed pulling off at a red light seems to have less power than if I am stoped and turn right or left onto a parallel road as if the computer was programed to give different gear choices and more power output at that instance because it is likey you are pulling into traffic with cars at full speed rather than going straight from a red light where the traffic behind you will most likely be starting from a dead stop aswell.

The CVT seems to get the blunt end of the blame when I think the actual computers programming of ratio choices at different instances has more to do with it than anything. We already know the engine is the most powerful to date and the tranny could be too...that is If the right ratio is chosen by the computer.

I'm sure it will only take time till some company can manufacture a chip designed just for the 7th gen to unleash it's power when ever the driver chooses instead of when the computer thinks it's the right time.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SpongeMasterG89
sorry but I have to say that while the cvt may help with gas mileage, they can use up atf and im my opinion they kill your acceleration. I mean I sooo love how the newest maxima looks but I think it would be so much quicker with a manual or even a traditional automatic the cvt just cant make the torque that an regular auto or especially a manual can make so basically they have but the most powerful ever stock maxima engine in the new car and then paired it with the worst(for acceleration) tranny ever in a maxima, i mean i know that the cvt is silky smooth and very comfortable to drive and i do like the idea of it but in practice idk just seems wrong its like putting 500 horsepower in a fwd car and then sticking like 5 inch tires up front no matter how much power you have you just cant get it all to the ground and thats how this cvt is. but thats just my 2 cents im not saying its a bad tranny I'm just saying that at least the sport or sv models tranny should have really been designed with spirited driving in mind. Still love the new car but if i had one id find a way to get a 5 or 6 spd swapped in there.

You have obviously not bothered to read through this thread, or you would have been more informed on the OVERALL performance of this new CVT.

You are INCORRECT on everything except initial acceleration from standstill, which has importance to some performance fans, but is meaningless in most real-world driving situations. Even acceleration from standstill is good in this car; zero to 60 in around 6 seconds for a 3600 pound car with 290 HP is not chopped liver.

Far more important for me is how a car performs in real-world driving. If I am following a semi at 45 MPH on a two-lane road, and come to a short passing area, the CVT gets me from 45 to 80 in a flash; QUICKER THAN ANY MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC WOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT.

Norm Peterson and Flip2cho are very informed posters. If you haven't already read their posts, please do so. They are explaining why you are not correct with your analysis of this new CVT.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 AM

That might be the first time I've heard auto performance described as the ability to pass a semi. Curious benchmark you got there. I have to ask, would that be a semi pulling a full load, or an empty trailer?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:04 AM

It's not a benchmark that gets much mention in the enthusiast press.

But unless my memory of highway design classes is completely shot the distance required to pass a semi is one of the bases for establishing safe passing zones. It's a more practical measure for that sort of thing, and equally relevant with respect to your normal daily driving.

And I think for a while it might have even been public consumer information for most cars (I'll probably have to look through my files for cars I bought before 1980). I know I've seen some truck speed and an 80-ish limiting speed for the passing vehicle somewhere.

On edit, a quick search on "passing distance" found this:
http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/niatt_la...htDistance.htm

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-08-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 AM

Wow Norm, I wasn't expecting that response... safe passing zones, public consumer information.

Hat's off to you, my man.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 AM

FYI, I just added a link to my previous post.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-08-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:47 AM

People keep trashing the 7th Gen Maxima for the CVT, but people seem to forget very quickly how much improved and better this 2ND GEN CVT is compared to the problem filled 1ST GEN CVT that was in the 6th Gen Maxima and 1st Gen Murano, which is what prompted Nissan to have to extend the transmission warranty to 10yrs/120k miles.

Nissan would not have extended the warranty if they were not going to keep the CVT as their transmission and as others have pointed out it is here to stay. I expect with each new generation of CVT it will just get more and more improved/refined to the point there will be no problems with it.

Wait until the 3rd Gen CVT when Nissan starts designing and/or putting in engines designed to work around the CVT, rather than have current engines just paired with the CVT. I can just imagine the power and fuel efficiency that will come when that happens!

The only downside I've had with the CVT is the lack of shift shock takes away a little bit of fun when accelerating quick but its just so good in all other areas that, that little sacrifice is worth it!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
It's not a benchmark that gets much mention in the enthusiast press.

But unless my memory of highway design classes is completely shot the distance required to pass a semi is one of the bases for establishing safe passing zones. It's a more practical measure for that sort of thing, and equally relevant with respect to your normal daily driving.

And I think for a while it might have even been public consumer information for most cars (I'll probably have to look through my files for cars I bought before 1980). I know I've seen some truck speed and an 80-ish limiting speed for the passing vehicle somewhere.

On edit, a quick search on "passing distance" found this:
http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/niatt_la...htDistance.htm

Norm
Another impressive post from Norm. It may be time to print up some 'Norm Peterson Automotive Fan Club' T-Shirts . . .
Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by smarty666
People keep trashing the 7th Gen Maxima for the CVT, but people seem to forget very quickly how much improved and better this 2ND GEN CVT is compared to the problem filled 1ST GEN CVT that was in the 6th Gen Maxima and 1st Gen Murano, which is what prompted Nissan to have to extend the transmission warranty to 10yrs/120k miles.

Nissan would not have extended the warranty if they were not going to keep the CVT as their transmission and as others have pointed out it is here to stay. I expect with each new generation of CVT it will just get more and more improved/refined to the point there will be no problems with it.

Wait until the 3rd Gen CVT when Nissan starts designing and/or putting in engines designed to work around the CVT, rather than have current engines just paired with the CVT. I can just imagine the power and fuel efficiency that will come when that happens!

The only downside I've had with the CVT is the lack of shift shock takes away a little bit of fun when accelerating quick but its just so good in all other areas that, that little sacrifice is worth it!

Smarty covers everything in a nutshell: The CVT is good and getting better. It will be the Maxima tranny indefinitely. Some drivers feel a shifting tranny is more fun.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:47 PM

car @ Nissan for CVT problem experience.

Originally Posted by smarty666

thank you for this info. I was surprised to call a local Nissan dealer to tell me I didn't have a CVT and on top of that, didn't bother to help me. I then called to another local dealer and was also told this info. they ran my VIN number and voila.. "Where is your car now, I will send my guys to pick up your car for warranty repair because the CVT's are covered 10 years or 120k miles. " that MUSIC to my ears if you ask me. Mannn.. i was sooooo relieved to hear this. just be careful out there. you might end up with a service guy who doesn't want to bother to help. I honestly would have dished out money for the tranny. well.. the dealer where i bought the car from.. but still, what right is right and fair.. thanks again for the info guys!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by dayyummCYNTHiA
just be careful out there. you might end up with a service guy who doesn't want to bother to help.
Get outta here. Your telling me a dealship wasn't eager to help you out with warranty work? Hard to believe. Well not really. I think smarty puts it best when he called them stealerships. They don't ever seem eagar to do warranty work. Check out the thread he started on the stealerships.
I can't believe you didn't know about the warranty! That's one of the things I loved!!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:02 AM

Angry

Originally Posted by Flip2cho
Get outta here. Your telling me a dealship wasn't eager to help you out with warranty work? Hard to believe. Well not really. I think smarty puts it best when he called them stealerships. They don't ever seem eagar to do warranty work. Check out the thread he started on the stealerships.
I can't believe you didn't know about the warranty! That's one of the things I loved!!
yea.. they didn't want to give me the time of day to help me out. They kept cutting me off by telling me to just bring it for a diagnostic check. it got as far as:
" Here's my VIN number.. can u run it and tell me what type of tranny I have?" ..
response: .. " No, you don't have a CVT tranny."
Me:" uhh.. are you sure??
dealer: yes
me: the FKUC? Are you sure? check my VIN again!!
Dealer: I'm sure, you do not have a CVT .
Me: Before I label you as an incompetenet poor excuse for a service writer, put your manager on the line before I scream bloody murder in your ear!
Dealer: * silence* ok ma'am. Not sure what that will do, but he'll tell you the same thing.
ME: well, let me hear it form him.
Dealer: Click*

i called to another dealer and was told the opposite. ugh! i swear!

So with that being said, hopefully my tranny will be fixed and everything will be ok.. =/
Old 07-09-2010, 10:23 AM

Fun reading, but I don't understand any of that. You have a 2007 Maxima, which only came with a CVT. Period. (Not a very good one, but that's OT.) You would know this simply by driving it, but even that's not necessary... because you own a 2007 Maxima.

Might as well call your Nissan dealership and ask them if your Maxima has four doors.

No, wait... don't do that. This dealership would want you to bring it in for 4-door diagnostics.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Fun reading, but I don't understand any of that. You have a 2007 Maxima, which only came with a CVT. Period. (Not a very good one, but that's OT.) You would know this simply by driving it, but even that's not necessary... because you own a 2007 Maxima.

Might as well call your Nissan dealership and ask them if your Maxima has four doors.

No, wait... don't do that. This dealership would want you to bring it in for 4-door diagnostics.
i think that may have came off differently. i knew my 07 has a CVT. A guy from the Nissan dealer told me i didn't have one. So I started to doubt myself because he LITERALLY said, you have a REGULAR AUTO TRANSMISSON. That's when I hesitated and had that conversation. called to ANOTHER LOCAL NISSAN Dealer and that person told me the correct info. I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm a newbie to the Maxima scene so a little bit of this is new to me.. gee.. but i got it figured out now..

Last edited by dayyummCYNTHiA; 07-09-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by dayyummCYNTHiA
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not...
Always, Ma'am. Sarcasm is the fun road to truth. Simpletons need not apply.

Just roll with it, Cindy.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Well Newb, let me help you out. Rochester is a sarcastic smart alec if there ever was one. Don't get me wrong though, it's a good thing. It's what makes him so funny and why I enjoy reading his post. You'll get used to it here in the (sound the music) "CVT vs Manual" thread.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:24 AM

Always, Ma'am. Sarcasm is the fun road to truth. Simpletons need not apply.

Just roll with it, Cindy.
Alrightyy.. sounds like my husband. lmao.

Well Newb, let me help you out. Rochester is a sarcastic smart alec if there ever was one. Don't get me wrong though, it's a good thing. It's what makes him so funny and why I enjoy reading his post. You'll get used to it here in the (sound the music) "CVT vs Manual" thread.
yea.. no worries.. lol.. it'll be entertaining to me.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 AM

That pretty much made my day.

Honestly, I'm about done in with this thread, because there's not too much else to say. Lightonthehill and Norm Peterson have mastered the defense of the 2nd gen CVT. And they've done so with really good writing, IMO. So much so that it's given me cause to be more accepting of this SHIFT_pretend approach to gearing. After spending most of my time in the 5th gen forum, it's so nice to read opinions that are more, um, let's say seasoned.

Also, at Maxus2010, watching those 2 seventh gens gently and silently pull their way to consistent mid-14's was a respect-me-moment. The performance is real, even though it's not overwhelming, nor the kind of visceral experience I'd prefer until I age a little more. (I'm 46, kids.)

Anyway, the 7th gen is a fantastic design. If for whatever reason I lost my left leg, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Carry on.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:59 AM

Well by a stroke of excellent fortune, both my wife and I have scored some pretty good careers. By the look of things I'll be able to secure a Porsche Panamera Turbo in 18-24 months. Looking at the 3/4 front view my 7th Gen isn't too much unlike a Panamera. Henceforth my 7th Gen will be known as my Panamera Lite (with much emphasis on the word LITE ).

Now I'm sure I'll get ragged in the Porsche forums about how the Panny is fat and bloated and no REAL Porsche would ever have 4 Doors and not offer a manual Transmission (yes it only comes with their version of the Dual Clutch semi-auto manual), but after the beating I took in here defending the 7th Gen I'm sure my skin is thick enough.

500HP/500 Torque, 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 1/4 mile 12 seconds 115 mph, and a top speed of 188, plus it has the interior room of an S-Class Mercedes and a hatchback...Sporty enough for me, even if the purists hate it.

Last edited by Maxim_ized; 07-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM

but I don't understand any of that. You have a 2007 Maxima, which only came with a CVT. Period.

wait i thought a manual was still optional on the 6th gens?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM

wait i thought a manual was still optional on the 6th gens?
Optional on the 6.0 ('04, '05 and '06), but not on the 6.5 ('07 and '08).

Once Nissan realized the percentage of manual Maxima buyers had dropped to 2%, that most of that 2% was being let go well below invoice to clear lot space, and dealers had to be forced to take manuals, they finally realized the public was telling them the manual was not wanted. Sort of sad, in a way.

But this sort of fit in with Nissan's plan to switch to a tranny (CVT) that offered the potential for more fuel efficiency and better acceleration as it was gradually prefected. I'm not sure the CVT was ready when it was put in the '07 and '08. But the 7th gen Maxima CVT is a whole diferent tranny, and a very good one.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

Once Nissan realized the percentage of manual Maxima buyers had dropped to 2%, that most of that 2% was being let go well below invoice to clear lot space, and dealers had to be forced to take manuals, they finally realized the public was telling them the manual was not wanted. Sort of sad, in a way.

But this sort of fit in with Nissan's plan to switch to a tranny (CVT) that offered the potential for more fuel efficiency and better acceleration as it was gradually prefected. I'm not sure the CVT was ready when it was put in the '07 and '08. But the 7th gen Maxima CVT is a whole diferent tranny, and a very good one.
I concur, I can only imagine how it will continue to evolve from here.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:35 PM

that would totally explain why some service advisors are confuised and refuse to tell u about the extended warranty. go figure!!

I made a friend at the Nissan!! The service advisor name Mike at Surf City Nissan in Huntington Beach and told him my situation, he assured me that the tranny was not slipping, however, the winding noise may have contribute to anyone thinking that it amy be slipping because it only got louder during acceleration and sounded like I was revving high rpms. The dealer where I bought my car from will take care of replacing the belt tensioner and timing chain at no cost to me!! I don't think that they would half a$$ a tranny, but definately, I've heard stories that the warranty was put to good use by Nissan. lol. so it's 50/50. i'll go with the 50 that's good! I have a MAXIMA! lol.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:20 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Interested in hearing how well the CVT holds up long term, like the nearly 180k miles I have on my original 5.5 gen 4AT. I'll check back in 4-5 years.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Interested in hearing how well the CVT holds up long term, like the nearly 180k miles I have on my original 5.5 gen 4AT. I'll check back in 4-5 years.

Those old 4 speed Maxima trannies were good. I owned two 1985 Maximas, and ran one over 206,000 miles, changing the tranny fluid only twice - at 75K and 150K - and the tranny was still operating perfectly when I let that car go.

A fact some here may not know - Until Feb 6, 2004, Nissan was putting 4 speed auto trannies in the 2004 6th gen Maxima SLs. '04 SLs built after Feb 6th 2004 all had 5 speed auto trannies.

Getting back to the 7th gen, with the ten year 120K warranty on these CVTs, Nissan has to hope they are reliable.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:22 AM

Those old 4 speed Maxima trannies were good. I owned two 1985 Maximas, and ran one over 206,000 miles, changing the tranny fluid only twice - at 75K and 150K - and the tranny was still operating perfectly when I let that car go.

A fact some here may not know - Until Feb 6, 2004, Nissan was putting 4 speed auto trannies in the 2004 6th gen Maxima SLs. '04 SLs built after Feb 6th 2004 all had 5 speed auto trannies.

Getting back to the 7th gen, with the ten year 120K warranty on these CVTs, Nissan has to hope they are reliable.
Its hard b/c on the Infiniti and Acura forums I belong to, I have to try and play PR and defend the CVT b/c, despite the 10yrs/120k warranty on the transmission, all the problems with the 1st Gen CVT have scared a lot of people into NOT getting Nissan's b/c they come with the CVT and they think they will have problems. I try to explain to them, that all the Nissan products since 2009 have the 2nd Gen CVT in them which have had much much fewer problems then the 1st Gen, and even if by chance you do have a problem, your covered now for 10yrs/120k miles! So that at least you give some people comfort that Nissan is at least backing you up if something happens!

By the way, I know the 1st Gen Murano and 6th Gen Maxima had the 1st Gen CVT, but does anyone know when the Altima got it? I think it had the 1st Gen CVT for the 2007 and 2008 model years and didn't get the 2nd Gen CVT till 2009 or did it get it in 2008?

Last edited by smarty666; 07-13-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

spongemaster,

transmissions don't make ANY torque, they transfer it from one point to another. In a car's case, they transfer torque from the engine to the drive shafts.

You've admitted to not having a 7th gen. I suggest you go drive one before spouting off on it's pros and cons. Better yet, buy one and own it for a while before spouting off on the pros and cons.

Also, and this is a general comment.

Why is everyone so caught up on the thought that the CVT is responsible for the sluggish start? I'd bet anyone here a buck that the engine's torque curve below 2,000 rpm is not very impressive. I'd lay money on the fact that it's entirely the engine and has NOTHING to do with the CVT. In fact, I've turned off the VDC and stomped the gas from a stand-still. I was able to get a decent amount of spin from both front wheels which tells me that the CVT is not inhibiting ANY torque transfer.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by umdpru
Why is everyone so caught up on the thought that the CVT is responsible for the sluggish start? I'd bet anyone here a buck that the engine's torque curve below 2,000 rpm is not very impressive. I'd lay money on the fact that it's entirely the engine and has NOTHING to do with the CVT. In fact, I've turned off the VDC and stomped the gas from a stand-still. I was able to get a decent amount of spin from both front wheels which tells me that the CVT is not inhibiting ANY torque transfer.
Do you know this for sure? Or are you just "spouting"? Have you ever driven a non-CVT VQ35DE before? Trust me, it is 100% the computer controlling everything from a stand still. It is just protecting the CVT. This is quite common knowledge. I would "spout" off the facts but they have been given multiple times by multiple people.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:47 PM

spongemaster,

transmissions don't make ANY torque, they transfer it from one point to another. In a car's case, they transfer torque from the engine to the transmission and then to the drive shafts.

fixed it for ya
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM

fixed it for ya
Should have left it alone.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 AM

no you didn't. the transmission does not transfer torque to another transmission. It is the intermediary between the engine output and the drive axles. By your "fix" the transmission transmits torque from the engine to another transmission and then to the drive axles.

mreim,

the fact that you can spin the wheels from a stand-still with a foot stomp with the VDC off proves my point that there is NOTHING in the programming protecting the transmission.

If anything, the VDC reduces the engines output to maintain traction...

And, yes, I have driven a non-cvt vq35de powered vehicle before. It suffered from a lack of low RPM torque just as my 2010 Maxima does. Every V-6 I've ever driven has suffered from VERY poor low RPM torque.

Also, for what it's worth, there's ZERO difference in delivering 290 HP and 268 ft-lbs of torque if you are doing 60 mph and when you are doing 0 MPH!

EDIT:

Found a VQ35DE Torque curve.

As you can see, it's not at 268 from low RPM. Considering the heft of the Max, it's no wonder the acceleration is slow from a stand still. You're propelling it with about 50 HP and 170 ft-lbs of torque from 0mph and idle.

Last edited by umdpru; 07-14-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:35 AM

Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 AM

move along flip, nothing to see here.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM

no you didn't. the transmission does not transfer torque to another transmission. It is the intermediary between the engine output and the drive axles. By your "fix" the transmission transmits torque from the engine to another transmission and then to the drive axles.

mreim,

the fact that you can spin the wheels from a stand-still with a foot stomp with the VDC off proves my point that there is NOTHING in the programming protecting the transmission.

If anything, the VDC reduces the engines output to maintain traction...

And, yes, I have driven a non-cvt vq35de powered vehicle before. It suffered from a lack of low RPM torque just as my 2010 Maxima does. Every V-6 I've ever driven has suffered from VERY poor low RPM torque.

Also, for what it's worth, there's ZERO difference in delivering 290 HP and 268 ft-lbs of torque if you are doing 60 mph and when you are doing 0 MPH!

EDIT:

Found a VQ35DE Torque curve.

As you can see, it's not at 268 from low RPM. Considering the heft of the Max, it's no wonder the acceleration is slow from a stand still. You're propelling it with about 50 HP and 170 ft-lbs of torque from 0mph and idle.

So lets say I am driving around at 60 mph and I stomp the pedal it will shoot up to 6xxx rpms. How would you explain me stomping the pedal at 0 mph and it only shooting up to say 3xxx rpms (after the initial take off of even lower rpms) and slowly rising to the peak torque further along down the line? Wheel spin isn't an indication of all the possible torque being transferred at the specific moment on a car that weighs 3600 pounds and has most the weight up at the nose with the front wheels pulling the vehicle from a stand still. What is most likely happening is the wheels themselves are breaking loose from doing too much work.

Also, I don't know about you but if my wheels are chirping on my Max it isn't sitting at 800 rpms. Try getting them to spin and tell me what rpms you are at.

Last edited by Mreim769; 07-14-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: The Official CVT vs Manual Transmission Thread