7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Power sunshade broke yesterday :( Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:49 AM

Power sunshade broke yesterday :( Any suggestions?

I went to raise the power sunshade yesterday and to my dismay, one end started to raise and the other stayed down. After taking a look, it appears that the metal arm on one side has come loose from the pivot point on the corner when it hooks to the top of the shade. I called three different local Nissan dealerships and none of them had ever seen any problems with the power sunshade. So I'm reluctant to take it to the dealer because I know how that works. The techs get to "learn" how to fix the problem with my car as the guinea pig I was hoping someone else may have some advice. Maybe it's a simple fix? I'm attaching a pic that I took this morning, although it was a little hard to get at.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 AM

Now you have a manual sunshade, like in the Camry. J/K - Just trying to find a little humor to the situation.

But seriously, as long as your car is under warranty, take it into the stealership and have them fix it. They know better than anyone how this thing works so let them worry about it and it won't cost you a dime under warranty. This thing is not meant to break that easily so by having Nissan fix it, they also will document it for Nissan as well.

It is the worst possible time of the year for this thing to break considering now is the time of the year when you would use it the most to keep the car cooler!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 AM

I think that's probably good advice. I think I'm just permanently jaded after working at a dealership in my earlier years. I try to always make sure it's something I can't easily solve on my own before turning over the keys to stealership. It sure looks like it would just be a matter of somehow hooking it back on...just wondering why it came off and if there was some clip or retainer that came off and fell down in there =/
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Anybody else ever had or seen this problem or know of a quick fix?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rawbutt
I think that's probably good advice. I think I'm just permanently jaded after working at a dealership in my earlier years. I try to always make sure it's something I can't easily solve on my own before turning over the keys to stealership. It sure looks like it would just be a matter of somehow hooking it back on...just wondering why it came off and if there was some clip or retainer that came off and fell down in there =/
Pretty smart philosophy to live by if you ask me, but sometimes you have to take it into the stealership, especially if it is new and under warranty. By the way, how old is your Max to be having something like this break?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 PM

It's an 09 with 13K
Old 06-29-2010, 04:14 PM

It's an 09 with 13K
Absolutely ridiculous at that low mileage and age to have stuff stop working. Definitely would take it in and make sure Nissan knows and documents it.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Love my '09

Just by looking at the picture, it was probably held on by one of those snap clips shaped like a C. I'm sure there's a really cool name for them.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Compusmurf
Just by looking at the picture, it was probably held on by one of those snap clips shaped like a C. I'm sure there's a really cool name for them.
back in the day when they were made of metal we called them "circlips." A modified snap ring. Or maybe that was just what the Brits called them in MG Midget speak!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Over the past two years (hard to believe the 7th gen has been on the street over two years now; went on sale 6/26/08), I recall two posters here complaining the rear sunscreen made strange noises and seemed to be moving very slowly and laboriously as it rose.

As a result of those two situations, plus my inherent distrust of flimsy-looking mechanical devices that are on a limited number of vehicles (only the Premium package has the rear sunscreen), I decided to always raise my screen in April and take it down in October. That is what I did last year, and am doing this year. I am glad I can see through the screen, else I would constantly be raising and lowering it.

I used to be like rawbutt, and do everything I could to avoid the dealer. But my back and knees have long since departed for the 'happy hunting ground', so I now sometimes take things to my dealer I once fixed myself.

Just be sure and check the leather on your rear seat very carefully when you get your car back. Mechanics have a horrible habit of carrying pointy tools in their pockets.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 AM

Well just to update the thread, I dropped it off at the dealership this morning at 8:00am. I will post back how it went. At least the service advisor seemed genuine and thorough, but you know how that goes once he hands the keys over to ole' Johnny in the shop =/ I feel like I'm at the dentist for a root canal right now.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Well just to update the thread, I dropped it off at the dealership this morning at 8:00am. I will post back how it went. At least the service advisor seemed genuine and thorough, but you know how that goes once he hands the keys over to ole' Johnny in the shop =/ I feel like I'm at the dentist for a root canal right now.

Are you num yet, or did they give you gas as well?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:24 AM

Any updates on your problem? Hope all is well
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM

BlackMax...thanks for asking...meant to post yesterday but got a little busy at work So I took it in yesterday morning...made it clear to the service advisor how particular I was about my car. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well this guy handled such a picky guy as myself. He put lots of plastic all over the seats and floor, parked it in a paved, gated area to lessen the chance of any dings in the main area and kept the keys with him the whole time. Also put one of his master mechanics on it instead of some newbie back there. But anyway, suffice to say, I will be dealing with this guy for any future issues. Basically he said they attempted to simply replace whatever the bolt and/or locking mechanism was for that pivot point and even though it worked, the tech wasn't comfortable with it as a long-term solution and felt that it would work its way out again, so they order a whole new sunshade assembly. Didn't have to replace the motor since the assembly disconnects from the motor. So I'll have to bring it back in a couple days for the install once the part comes in. So far so good though...no holes in my leather, grease on the interior or bad smells in the car
Old 07-13-2010, 07:51 AM

BlackMax...thanks for asking...meant to post yesterday but got a little busy at work So I took it in yesterday morning...made it clear to the service advisor how particular I was about my car. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how well this guy handled such a picky guy as myself. He put lots of plastic all over the seats and floor, parked it in a paved, gated area to lessen the chance of any dings in the main area and kept the keys with him the whole time. Also put one of his master mechanics on it instead of some newbie back there. But anyway, suffice to say, I will be dealing with this guy for any future issues. Basically he said they attempted to simply replace whatever the bolt and/or locking mechanism was for that pivot point and even though it worked, the tech wasn't comfortable with it as a long-term solution and felt that it would work its way out again, so they order a whole new sunshade assembly. Didn't have to replace the motor since the assembly disconnects from the motor. So I'll have to bring it back in a couple days for the install once the part comes in. So far so good though...no holes in my leather, grease on the interior or bad smells in the car
Well, at the very least man, it sounds as if your Nissan stealership is taking good care of you. Can't say the same for mine. Definitely agree with the tech in that replacing the entire sunshade assembly sounds like the best way for a long-term fix for the issue. Glad you'll have a resolution to your sunshade issue. Definitely, want that thing back online at this time of the year!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:56 AM

I'm still curious about how the original issue happened? Did the wear and tear add up on some part of that sunshade over only 1 year and 13K miles...to the point that it failed? If so, that's a bit worrisome. And I wonder why the quick fix didn't work with a new bolt and fastener (or whatever it was). Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that they opted to just replace the whole thing...just wonder why it happened in the first place. I don't want to feel like I'm slowly breaking it every time I use it Maybe I'll know more once I get the new part in and talk to them some more.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM

I'm still curious about how the original issue happened? Did the wear and tear add up on some part of that sunshade over only 1 year and 13K miles...to the point that it failed? If so, that's a bit worrisome. And I wonder why the quick fix didn't work with a new bolt and fastener (or whatever it was). Don't get me wrong, I'm very glad that they opted to just replace the whole thing...just wonder why it happened in the first place. I don't want to feel like I'm slowly breaking it every time I use it Maybe I'll know more once I get the new part in and talk to them some more.
Sounds good bud! Sounds as if they are trying to make it right with you, which is great. Let us know how it turns out. Also stick with this guy and go from there. if you have any other issues, it sure is nice to have a guy like this to come back to.

Long story:
Had a 97 Rav4 110k miles. Serviced at the local firestone shop, 5 times or so. The car developed an oil leak, from the pan. The guys said hey bring it in. They tried to replace the drain plug, but to no avail, they then tried to re tap the threads, didn't work. When they called after that, i was worried. They said hey we are the ones changing the oil, we messed it up. Can you wait till tomorrow because we had to order you a new oil pan! I said of course, and thanks for taking care of me. They changed the oil again for free and did everything for free. So next time my wife made some cookies to take to them.

So moral of the story is that there are still good guys out there. They now get a lot of buisness from me! Oil changes and tires!!! And minor work if needed
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Thought I would post a follow-up to my faulty sunscreen issue. Turns out the sunscreen was backordered, so took a month and a half to arrive! I took it back in for the install and fortunately, all went well and I have a working power sunshade again. The only minor aggravation was a few greasy finger/hand prints up on the upholstery near where the guy must have been working on the shade install. Anybody got any suggestions on what the best stuff would be to remove a little grease from that tan upholstery? It almost feels kind of like a fabric or cloth type material and would hate to use anything that would stain or otherwise harm it. This may be a better topic for a new thread in another area ?

Thanks!!

Robert
Old 08-25-2010, 01:45 PM

seems like the daelaer fixed it...Great ... They did their job ....no need for a seperate thread ...IMHO ...Its fixed..
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Thought I would post a follow-up to my faulty sunscreen issue. Turns out the sunscreen was backordered, so took a month and a half to arrive! I took it back in for the install and fortunately, all went well and I have a working power sunshade again. The only minor aggravation was a few greasy finger/hand prints up on the upholstery near where the guy must have been working on the shade install. Anybody got any suggestions on what the best stuff would be to remove a little grease from that tan upholstery? It almost feels kind of like a fabric or cloth type material and would hate to use anything that would stain or otherwise harm it. This may be a better topic for a new thread in another area ?

Thanks!!

Robert
Are the fingerprints on the seat upholstery or the parcel shelf? You have the Premium, so the seats are leather. I cannot help with the greasy fingerprints. Maybe a drop of dishwashing liquid and a soft, warm cloth?

But, like you, I am disappointed the original screen failed so soon, disappointed their first fix did not work, and disappointed it took six weeks to get a replacement. This is THREE disappointments associated with one incident. I'm sure you were even more disappointed than I am.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-25-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM

This is why I didn't get the premium package, theres so much more equipment thats prone to failure.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 AM

lightonthehill,

I know I should know what a "parcel shelf" is, but let me do a probably terrible job as describing it. It's not on the leather, or up on the flat "carpet-looking" shelf area where the power sunshade rests. It's The greasy prints are up on the connecting panels on the side between the shelf area and the area above your head. To say it another way, if I was a passenger in the back seat, I could see this area by merely turning my head towards the window and looking back a little farther. As I said, it's kind of a "fabric" type of material (same as the whole area above the passengers' heads are made of and just wasn't sure what to use to clean that. Is isn't heavy or dark grease...just noticeable enough to me to want to do something about.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM

I usually have good luck just putting a few drops of dishwashing liquid (not the type for electric dishwashers, but soap for handwashing dishes) in warm water and gently stroking the offending grease.

The secret is to rub VERY gently and uniformly across the surface. Rubbing hard may change the surface apparence, and that would not be good.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM

light..

That sounds like a good first attempt to me. I'll give it a try. How much dishwashing liquid did you use. Like if I have a little cup or 8 or 12 oz of warm water, are we talking just a drop or two? a little more than that?

Thanks
Robert
Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 PM

light..

That sounds like a good first attempt to me. I'll give it a try. How much dishwashing liquid did you use. Like if I have a little cup or 8 or 12 oz of warm water, are we talking just a drop or two? a little more than that?

Thanks
Robert
I would start with just a few drops. If that didn't seem to be working, I would only add a few more drops. Dishwashing fluid is usually concentrated, and a little goes a long way. Using the smallest amount reduces the chance of any soap residue remaining on the car surface.