7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Tube Left Over From OEM Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaDrvr
Or, a 1.5" PVC pipe cap that goes over the hole and clamps on.
Ya something like that I forget what I did haha
Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
So if I have removed this but not capped it have I not quelled the noise for the cabin then? I have put aftermarket intake on but not interested in the noise inside the car. I remember this thing coming out too but I didn't see where it was connected and also if it needs to be capped? Thanks.
Since you have an aftermarket intake you more than likely have removed the rubber tube that connects the stock box to the throttle body so you don't have to worry about capping anything off unless you go back to the stock box
Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 PM

Perfect. Thank you.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just took the Stillen intake off and installed the stock intake back in...capped the opening for the sound generator tube, and the car is now quieter than it was stock! I put a K&N filter in there as this thing is staying in.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
I just took the Stillen intake off and installed the stock intake back in...capped the opening for the sound generator tube, and the car is now quieter than it was stock! I put a K&N filter in there as this thing is staying in.
Lol thats exactly what i did today as soon as i came home from work. That pos tube was a biotch to get back in. Ill cap it this weekend as i never liked the idea of more air leaving the intake tube than necessary. I have thw k&n drop in also.

Ive had 2 intakes now and i hate that our manifold gets so hot. I did a feel test and the majority of the heat that rises up out of the entire bay is right in the middle in the front of the intake manifold.

I know engines get hot from a physical mechanical standpoint, just wish there was a way to keep it cooled to a certain extent.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:39 PM

It does get pretty darn hot under there. I can go back in there after a while and it's still pretty hot.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:12 AM

Sorry to go off topic from the OP. But yinz are making me think about the heat. Can we program our fans to turn on sooner? Perhaps run longer and come on more often. Help keeps things a little cooler if possible. Perhaps I should question this on another thread...
Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nitehawk11sv
Lol thats exactly what i did today as soon as i came home from work. That pos tube was a biotch to get back in. Ill cap it this weekend as i never liked the idea of more air leaving the intake tube than necessary. I have thw k&n drop in also.

Ive had 2 intakes now and i hate that our manifold gets so hot. I did a feel test and the majority of the heat that rises up out of the entire bay is right in the middle in the front of the intake manifold.

I know engines get hot from a physical mechanical standpoint, just wish there was a way to keep it cooled to a certain extent.
If you're worried about manifold heat you should invest in the caf phelonic spacers. Even after long drives my manifold gets really warm /slight hot but it's definitely cooler that it was when it was stock.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
If you're worried about manifold heat you should invest in the caf phelonic spacers. Even after long drives my manifold gets really warm /slight hot but it's definitely cooler that it was when it was stock.
Link?

Has anybody else used these for heat reduction? Any input?
Old 03-17-2015, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
Link?

Has anybody else used these for heat reduction? Any input?
http://cxjperformance.com/index.php?...&product_id=50

I'm actually surprised that this mod is not talked about more because when I first joined the forum it was highly rated.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:35 PM

So yeah, yesterday I removed this tube and blocked off the hole. This thing makes a huge difference! My car is so quite under load now in the cabin! Didn't realize how annoying that the in cabin noise was until today after driving on the highway. Love it! The black rubber cap was only $3 at home depot and fit perfectly!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:42 PM

I'm enjoying the quiet ride for sure .
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Hey Ross can you give me the part number of the plug you used or a pic? Also, i already have the cxj spacer on the manifold and the tb. Its still hot out here and i dont run the max hard very often.

Do yall have your engine cover on? I have mine off and have so for some time. Also, the matting under the top of the hood, does that really matter? I know theres nothing i can do about how hot my engine gets, just thinking of ways to get more airflow in there.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Hey Ross can you give me the part number of the plug you used or a pic? Also, i already have the cxj spacer on the manifold and the tb. Its still hot out here and i dont run the max hard very often.

Do yall have your engine cover on? I have mine off and have so for some time. Also, the matting under the top of the hood, does that really matter? I know theres nothing i can do about how hot my engine gets, just thinking of ways to get more airflow in there.
This was the exact one that I bought.
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1-1-...101/100372302/

But yes overall you are in a very hot area so maybe that's why? But yes I've been running the car without the engine cover for over a year now but the matting is really just for insulation I'm assuming but idk if it holds more value
Old 03-19-2015, 06:21 AM

I believe the matting is a fire retardant but that's just a guess.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:55 AM

Any of you guys got a pic of where this bad boy is located? I won't be under the hood for another month or so and mentally can't place it right now.

I'll admit this thread has piqued my curiosity and I'm thinking about doing it provided it's not a PITA. From what it looks like there has been no negative feedback from people who have done this...

Ross - thanks for the pic there of the cap..
Old 03-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL
I believe the matting is a fire retardant but that's just a guess.
Nope.

It is called NVH insulator. Noise, vibration, and harshness.
It does pass FMVSS302 burn standard, but is not there to stop fires. Just less noise from the engine bay, and stop a small amount of resonant vibration through the hood.

I used to work in the NVH industry supplying parts to all the OEMs.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 AM

That was my next guess... NVH over safety...figures! Thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
Any of you guys got a pic of where this bad boy is located? I won't be under the hood for another month or so and mentally can't place it right now.

I'll admit this thread has piqued my curiosity and I'm thinking about doing it provided it's not a PITA. From what it looks like there has been no negative feedback from people who have done this...

Ross - thanks for the pic there of the cap..
Sorry I should have taken pics but when you remove your air box you can't miss it!

But you're welcome buddy I had no idea what to look for because the original picture was deleted but now new members on here should be able to find this no problem.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 PM

Hey, I did this today and snapped a couple pictures. It literally took me 10 min. **Do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your car due to this post. This is just a recap of what I did to my car.** This is the cap I got. it was $2.90 at Lowes. Name:  images-02_zpslqy6qppx.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  70.8 KB This is the rubber intake hose I removed to get at the plastic noise maker tube. It connects the air box and throttle body. Name:  images-03_zpsloo1cuae.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  100.7 KB As you can see, there are three hose clamps that needed to be removed to take the intake hose out. I started by removing the cover to the air filter box. I needed to remove the hose clamp and then also disconnect the mass air flow sensor and the cable ties that held it in place. Here's what it looked like after I removed the air box lid exposing my air filter (red filter at bottom of picture). Name:  images-01_zps7npbwrsq.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  113.8 KB After I loosened all three hose clamps. I just pulled up and out on the rubber tube and the plastic "noise maker" slid out (it was held to the rubber tube with another hose clamp, but I didn't need to loosen this one until after I got it out). Here's the rubber intake hose with the plastic noise maker still attached (It's resting on the battery in the picture). Name:  images-04_zpsspnirybl.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  114.4 KB I then removed the plastic noise maker and secured the cap over the hole. I could actually tighten it fairly tight, I kept checking the inside of the hole to make sure it wasn't collapsing, and it withheld quite a bit of pressure. Name:  images_Artboard%205_zpsor5cnekk.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  108.5 KB After that, I just hooked the rubber intake hose back into place and tightened all the hose clamps back down. BAM. Quiet cabin.

Last edited by JakeOfAllTrades; 03-22-2015 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades
Hey, I did this today and snapped a couple pictures. It literally took me 10 min. **Do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your car due to this post. This is just a recap of what I did to my car.** This is the cap I got. it was $2.90 at Lowes. This is the rubber intake hose I removed to get at the plastic noise maker tube. It connects the air box and throttle body. As you can see, there are three hose clamps that needed to be removed to take the intake hose out. I started by removing the cover to the air filter box. I needed to remove the hose clamp and then also mass air flow sensor and the cable ties that held it in place. Here's what it looked like after I removed the air box lid exposing my air filter (red filter at bottom of picture). After I loosened all three hose clamps. I just pulled up and out on the rubber tube and the plastic "noise maker" slid out (it was held to the rubber tube with another hose clamp, but I didn't need to loosen this one until after I got it out). Here's the rubber intake hose with the plastic noise maker still attached (It's resting on the battery in the picture). I then removed the plastic noise maker and secured the cap over the hole. I could actually tighten it fairly tight, I kept checking the inside of the hole to make sure it wasn't collapsing, and it withheld quite a bit of pressure. After that, I just hooked the rubber intake hose back into place and tightened all the hose clamps back down. BAM. Quiet cabin.
Thank you for the write-up and thanks everyone else for the intel. Appreciated
Old 03-20-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades
Hey, I did this today and snapped a couple pictures. It literally took me 10 min.

**Do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your car due to this post. This is just a recap of what I did to my car.**

This is the cap I got. it was $2.90 at Lowes.

This is the rubber intake hose I removed to get at the plastic noise maker tube. It connects the air box and throttle body.

As you can see, there are three hose clamps that needed to be removed to take the intake hose out.

I started by removing the cover to the air filter box. I needed to remove the hose clamp and then also mass air flow sensor and the cable ties that held it in place.

Here's what it looked like after I removed the air box lid exposing my air filter (red filter at bottom of picture).

After I loosened all three hose clamps. I just pulled up and out on the rubber tube and the plastic "noise maker" slid out (it was held to the rubber tube with another hose clamp, but I didn't need to loosen this one until after I got it out).

Here's the rubber intake hose with the plastic noise maker still attached (It's resting on the battery in the picture).

I then removed the plastic noise maker and secured the cap over the hole. I could actually tighten it fairly tight, I kept checking the inside of the hole to make sure it wasn't collapsing, and it withheld quite a bit of pressure.

After that, I just hooked the rubber intake hose back into place and tightened all the hose clamps back down.

BAM. Quiet cabin.
Awesome writeup man! But yeah lol I was tightening mine and felt like it could tighten it forever so I stopped and the clamp is at about the same level as yours lol
Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the great write-up! Just did mine and took for a quick spin. It's crazy how much cabin noise that thing made.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by T200
Thanks for the great write-up! Just did mine and took for a quick spin. It's crazy how much cabin noise that thing made.
Did you take out the mass air flow sensor or just disconnect it?
Old 03-22-2015, 01:50 AM

I just disconnected it. Probably not even necessary, but it made it easier to get the hose out.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Did you take out the mass air flow sensor or just disconnect it?
I left mine connected. Not a big deal to disconnect it to make it easier.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:07 AM

Thanks, I am going to do this as soon as I find the cap.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Thanks, I am going to do this as soon as I find the cap.
I used the same one that Ross posted from Home Depot. I put in my local store and it said it was in stock. Even told me what aisle it was in! Gotta love technology!
Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by T200
I used the same one that Ross posted from Home Depot. I put in my local store and it said it was in stock. Even told me what aisle it was in! Gotta love technology!
Thanks, I'll check out my local Home Depot on line.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Done and done, fellas! Thanks again for the write-up and I'm looking forward to seeing the in-cabin effects in a few weeks here.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 PM

Took a pic of the sound generator after I took it out as the pics I've seen didn't really do it justice as to how big the sucker really was:

Name:  F420D291-31D3-4B39-AF9A-14466A861511_zpsyccbv6ag.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  223.1 KB
Old 04-02-2015, 03:38 PM

I removed my sound generator today. Capped the opening with the one from Lowe's. Happy with the results.

I always wondered what the Nissan engineers said when they got the original feedback from marketing.....
"WTF? We've spent years trying to make the cabin quieter. And now you want it to be noisier?"
Old 04-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Exactly! "You want us to do what!"
Old 04-03-2015, 11:12 AM

Actually, I have the Autoenginuity system with the Nissan enhanced package. There is a work-support item that allows you to manually click a button and turn the radiator fans on low, med or high. It tried this and it made it hotter. You're just pulling air over a hot radiator and blowing it under the hood and swirling around more heat.

The stock intake keeps everything nice and cool - intake air temps never rise more than 5-10 degree over ambient. With a short-ram intake, you may as well hold a flame torch to the intake. Might sound good for a while, but it's no bueno. You best bet is to actually run a true CAI (which the stock air intake is a CAI).

Late,
Travis
Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 PM

Can't recommend this enough. Used the Fernco cap listed above and worked perfectly. Cabin sound went from a 10 (stock) to a 2. Took about $3 and 10 minutes.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:46 AM

One thing about this mod that bugged me was that when I tightened the screw for the cap hose clamp, there was no way to know when you were done. It was just a hose covering another rubber hose.

So today I dug out the plastic noise maker and sawed off the part of the connector tube that was originally in there. When I reconnected everything I was happy to find that there is now a true stopping point when tightening the hose clamp for the new cap.

Another note: the outside of the housing tube had a little rubber nub to hold on the original hose clamp. This time I took an exacto blade and trimmed the remnants of the nub so that the new hose clamp is totally flush.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 AM

New sound generator 2016

I understand the new gen Max has a sound generator as well. It's part of the audio system. So one would guess if you had the Bose system you would have the High Performance version.
Old 01-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bump

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Hey everyone so I posted on here a while while back when I took out my OEM intake about a black tube that was just left hanging there. Well my buddy decided to play with it today and it came off of the car and I was able to snap some pictures. Does anyone know what this could be and if I should put it back on with a filter on the end or something?

Look forward to hearing what you guys have to say about it.
do you have to plug or cap off where it’s attached to the firewall once removed?
Old 07-28-2023, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Plastic tube left with hole

I took a gatorade bottle and cut about a 3rd from top. Melted body of bottle into top of the bottle until it sealed, into where the cap would go on the drink. fit perfectly