7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
View Poll Results: Borla should......
Replace with a NEW Exhaust
100.00%
Offer a buy back
0%
Repair+Recondition
0%
Offer Some/Any type of a discount/compensation
0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Borla Exhaust Install/ETC

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Exclamation Borla Exhaust Install/ETC

Finally had time to install my Borla Exhaust "Y-Pipe Back", and come to find out it wont fit propery. The rear y pipe left side bend is the wrong angle.The right side fit no problem at all.Also the left side muffler pipe was welded at the wrong angle and can not be mounted at all.

In a nut shell I contacted borla and sent them photos along with a description of the issue and they want to handle it like this:

"I sent your email with the pictures to the factory. It is hard to see from the pictures what the actual problem is with the system. Our Quality control Manager suggested we get the system back to check it in the fixtures. If this is acceptable for you, please forward me the following information,then The process is as follows:
You box up the system and I send a call tag to have the system picked up and sent back to our facility in TN
We will check the system in the fixture and make the necessary repairs
Then we will send the system back to you
The process will take around two weeks. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.""""""""""

I don't see this being acceptable.
Being the paying customer and having to ship back the item that does not fit and have to wait even longer now to yet recieve a re-welded ,cut, patched exhaust system.I emailed them back saying I think they should send a replacement item out to me while this defective item is sent back while it is to be determined defective/repaiered or whatever they want to do with it.I should get what I paid for,A brand new item,not a reworked item.

I will wait til they respond back with how they want to handle this ultimately.How would any of you handle this?I know some of you have a contact at Borla and or have thoughts on how to handle this.? I guess I could send this back to Keystone Auto and get another from them since they have 2 more instock still,and/or just get a refund totally.Please discuss!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Juggernaut23
Finally had time to install my Borla Exhaust "Y-Pipe Back", and come to find out it wont fit propery. The rear y pipe left side bend is the wrong angle.The right side fit no problem at all.Also the left side muffler pipe was welded at the wrong angle and can not be mounted at all.

In a nut shell I contacted borla and sent them photos along with a description of the issue and they want to handle it like this:

"I sent your email with the pictures to the factory. It is hard to see from the pictures what the actual problem is with the system. Our Quality control Manager suggested we get the system back to check it in the fixtures. If this is acceptable for you, please forward me the following information,then The process is as follows:
You box up the system and I send a call tag to have the system picked up and sent back to our facility in TN
The process will take around two weeks. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.""""""""""

Being the paying customer and having to ship back the item that does not fit and have to wait even longer now to yet recieve a re-welded ,cut, patched exhaust system.I emailed them back saying I think they should send a replacement item out to me while this defective item is sent back while it is to be determined defective/repaiered or whatever they want to do with it.I should get what I paid for,A brand new item,not a reworked item.

I will wait til they respond back with how they want to handle this ultimately.How would any of you handle this?I know some of you have a contact at Borla and or have thoughts on how to handle this.? I guess I could send this back to Keystone Auto and get another from them since they have 2 more instock still,and/or just get a refund totally.Please discuss!
Sorry to hear about that Jugger, I know you were patiently waiting to get to this project only to have mess like this happen. IMO, Borla should do as you suggested, the customer should never be put into a position where they are doing without (especially since you already paid for everything).

It appears from reading what you posted that they never actually bolted up the system themselves to insure proper fitment. Let us know how it all ends up and hopefully they'll do the right thing.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 PM

If you send the pix of post them maybe I can see what your talking about and compare it to my set up but there were no fitment issues with the system I have on my vehicle.

Also I highlighted the part in yellow above and it seems to me that all you have to do is put the exhaust back in the box that it came in and call Borla up or what not and they will have UPS or who ever delivered it to you pick it up so I assume that means postage paid UPS may just show up with the label but I would double check with that. Who are you talking to over at Borla with this issue?

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
It appears from reading what you posted that they never actually bolted up the system themselves to insure proper fitment. Let us know how it all ends up and hopefully they'll do the right thing.
Just like any company they don't bolt up each production unit onto the vehicle. The did bold up the prototype units to the vehicle to ensure fitment. It was probably if anything a mistake at the factory maybe someone was hung over or something or pissed off and maybe did it purposely who knows but ya I can tell you that they don't bolt up every unit. (Note: Not trying to be rude sometimes that comes off in text just informing you and who ever else may view some info)
Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 AM

Here is a few pics of what I got that was suppose to be new in box.Take note the finish.The protoypes look better than the finish on the finished product.Now if they are going to repair this and send it back I hope they polish it all up and clean up all the welds.Even them I may still sell it due to my experience.Who knows by the time I get it back I may already buy a different exhaust.But I wont do anything until I see how they handle it after seeing all the photos.
I will say that all my years running my shops if a customer had a defect item i would just take it back and give a new item to them to keep them happy and a return future customer.Cause if I didnt ,they would just go else where.Customers dont want to wait for a new item they bought yet to be returned to be reconditioned.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Do you have the racing line y pipe installed? I was actually interested in the Borla system, but if it is the problem I'll just wait awhile. Hope your problem gets resolved
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 PM

I like the huge exhaust tips (are they still 3 or a bigger 5 inchers)?

I did not like the welds on them, looks like a rush job or some inexperienced welder did them and the exhaust itself doesn't appear to be stainless steel, looks like aluminum to me.

Can you elaborate on those things?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:18 PM

hmmm looks interesting....wanna see how this looks on the car before i actually jump and purchase one....looks very similar to stillens exhaust if you ask me
Old 10-10-2010, 09:16 AM

Should a Borla ad be posted in a thread with issues regarding this company? wow that was a slip. I hope they quickly address these issues
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I like the huge exhaust tips (are they still 3 or a bigger 5 inchers)?

I did not like the welds on them, looks like a rush job or some inexperienced welder did them and the exhaust itself doesn't appear to be stainless steel, looks like aluminum to me.

Can you elaborate on those things?

Thanks in advance.

All I can say is it looks like it was made on a Monday.Its not aluminum..I will wait to see how they handle it once they get it to evaluate how they can "Repair" it.I would call that a "re-conditioned item".Still dont see how that is considered a new item which I paid for?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I'm going to see if I can get a few pix of the exhaust tomorrow on my car and take a look at the photos for a comparison....

Racingline Performance Y-Pipe does not/should not cause any interference with the Borla system. I have it installed on my car and everything fits perfectly.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM

I am hoping to see some of you vote on this.I would like to see what you think should be done.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM

I am hoping to see some of you vote on this.I would like to see what you think should be done.
I voted replace w/ new...
Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 PM

I am pleased to annouce the update I just recieved.Let's hope it is as good as it sounds.If it is then I am/will be a happy and a future returning customer.

We are sending a completely new exhaust system to you today via Fed Ex Overnight. It should be there tomorrow. We felt there was no need for you to wait for our evaluation of your system and have us make any changes to it. The system we have sent was checked by two people and they have assured me it will fit just right.

Cordially,
Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Wow, that is impressive. I would love to see Stillen top that kind of effort. Congrats on the good news. Most companies would tell you to go stick it....
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 PM

Nice, Borla knows if they have a bad rep on these forums, that is a good chunk of sales they are losing when it comes to the 7th Gen Cat-back system.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Congrats man...hope it fits now..don't forget to post pics..they might have me as a customer as well.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:11 AM

^ Dont worry. I will post all new pics before install and mock up and then after install. even HD sound clips and video.

I wanted to say that this is/was a very easy install compared to many other cars I have owned and worked on over my years.So easy I did it in my driveway with just a lil jacking up on 1 side to crawl under.So you know its easy then.lol
Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM

For a 1100 dollar cat back thats what they should have done... You provoded them with pictures.... Those are the worse TIG welds Ive ever seen ....I would just want my money back... My .02
Old 10-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Looking forward to the new replacement exhaust, the one in the pics looks horrible, where is the chrome plating, this had to be a slip up
Old 10-14-2010, 03:35 PM

Even though some of the members who have this you can see there muffler cans shine a lil bit. Borla state only the tips are suppose to have a polish finish. the rest not.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM

UPDATE,it has arrived. I didnt have time to look good at it but I opened it quickly to get a peak.It looks good and should be ok.I will put it on this weekend and follow up with the rest of the update.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Great to hear hopefully this system is what you would have expected the 1st one to be like cannot wait to hear what someone else thinks about this system.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:59 PM

I had time to mount the new exhaust on and put a few miles on it to break it in.I will post pics and final thoughts on it this week when I get some more time.But in a nut shell I will say I will take it off soon as I go to the track this week and see if it helped out my 1320 times.If it doesnt then off it comes and I will move on.To hold you over til I post more videos and pics of it ,here is some of my HD video clips I took from my phone and put on youtube for you guys to get a idea til later on.Notice how hard it struggles to get over 100 mph at full tilt!I also have the Y pipe on and its still real quiet.This setup seems to only give a unstock growl at under 3k rpms. anything else its silent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2keuAtbKik

http://www.youtube.com/user/usasupra.../1/2zrXAF-LtgU

http://www.youtube.com/user/usasupra.../2/JzIWKOEI6EU
Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM

I had time to mount the new exhaust on and put a few miles on it to break it in.I will post pics and final thoughts on it this week when I get some more time.But in a nut shell I will say I will take it off soon as I go to the track this week and see if it helped out my 1320 times.If it doesnt then off it comes and I will move on.To hold you over til I post more videos and pics of it ,here is some of my HD video clips I took from my phone and put on youtube for you guys to get a idea til later on.Notice how hard it struggles to get over 100 mph at full tilt!I also have the Y pipe on and its still real quiet.This setup seems to only give a unstock growl at under 3k rpms. anything else its silent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2keuAtbKik

http://www.youtube.com/user/usasupra.../1/2zrXAF-LtgU

http://www.youtube.com/user/usasupra.../2/JzIWKOEI6EU

hmmm...looks pretty slow to me to
Old 10-17-2010, 09:33 PM

Honestly Jugs, I think it sounds real real good, Im 1000% percent sure that in person it sounds even better! I like exhausts that sound good when you get on em, not when your just idling.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 PM

That vid where your car is struggling to get to 100 is wierd, Sometimes when I step on it I realize that Im well past the 100 pmh mark and have to slow down.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mreim769
Wow, that is impressive. I would love to see Stillen top that kind of effort. Congrats on the good news. Most companies would tell you to go stick it....
You won't get any kind of "customer service" from Stillen when it comes to their G37/370 supercharger systems.

But for littler things, the rep I know, Josh, has been great.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 AM

Notice how hard it struggles to get over 100 mph at full tilt!I also have the Y pipe on and its still real quiet.
struggling to get past 100mph, mine is stock and passes 100 no problem, it's 120 that is the struggle for me.

I wonder if the y-pipe and borla free up some pressure that is killing top end but doing better in low and mid-range power
Old 10-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Here is some pics I took to see how much better this new unit is.This is the service and qaulity Borla is known for.So like I said before,my other unit must have been made on a Monday.Take a peek and feel free to comment.

Now this probably happened when Borla open up the box to ensure this unit was a good fit and when re-boxed it got banged around during shipping.But the pic makes it look worse then what you see.Installed you cant even see this section.No big deal.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:32 AM

Much better... but damn, still not perfect due to that dent...

Seriously, I'd let them know about that too. I mean, if they don't hear anything back, they will think their existing procedures are fine, and won't bother fixing any problems with shipping/packing/etc. for future customers.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by STARR
struggling to get past 100mph, mine is stock and passes 100 no problem, it's 120 that is the struggle for me.

I wonder if the y-pipe and borla free up some pressure that is killing top end but doing better in low and mid-range power
same with mine i get to 110mph with 22in rims no problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbbm6OhY66U

sorry for the crappy video shot it about 10 mins ago on way home from work.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:50 AM

hmmm thats funny my car gets to 120 no problemo its a struggle to get from 120-130,40

do you guys feel more power from this exhaust system?

Last edited by IFuXwiTuZ; 10-20-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM

I havent felt any power from this setup yet.I am told it does take 300-500 miles for it to break in from Borla themselves.Not sure if that will affect anything but it SHOULD affect the tone and volume "SOUND" a bit.Soon as I get a chance again I will post a HD video from a 60MPH roll to a hopefully 140MPH peak and see how much of a slug it is or ins't.And 1320 times this week will be posted. Hope the drop in temp doesnt throw it off too much as I am seeing at my local track "RACEWAY PARK" a drop of 9 degrees and 300ft below sea level this week.Lots of cars have been getting their best times there the last week or so due to this.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Borla exhaust and Racingline Y pipe install and impressions

I havent felt any power from this setup yet.I am told it does take 300-500 miles for it to break in from Borla themselves.Not sure if that will affect anything but it SHOULD affect the tone and volume "SOUND" a bit.Soon as I get a chance again I will post a HD video from a 60MPH roll to a hopefully 140MPH peak and see how much of a slug it is or ins't.And 1320 times this week will be posted. Hope the drop in temp doesnt throw it off too much as I am seeing at my local track "RACEWAY PARK" a drop of 9 degrees and 300ft below sea level this week.Lots of cars have been getting their best times there the last week or so due to this.

I just installed the borla cat back on my 2011 max yesterday. When i received the fedex box, the box was ripped and the packaging was pretty bad, there was very little protection inside the box from the various parts banging each other hence there were a couple small dents on the top of the left muffler, not big enough to have to deal with a return and any other inconv. I had just installed the racingline y pipe about 3 days before so i was able to see any power differences with each component. I have the r2c intake as well and i have to say i didnt see any gains from that just sound. As for the racingline y pipe i was hoping to see more gains from that by itself but i really didnt notice too much. But after completing the install of the borla cat back i can honestly say that there are some definite power increases from low to mid to high. I have done this type of setup on previous cars and i have to say this was one of the most notice power increases in comparision to my other vehicles. I think y pipe and the borla go hand in hand because it drastically decreases retriction from the front to back. Also the sounds of the exhaust in conjunction with the y pipe is a beautiful sound and i am definitely happy with it. I do not know what it sounds like it on its own without the y pipe but i can pretty much garruntee it sounds almost as good. The y pipe gave it a little throatier tone than stock so it def contributed to the overall sound of the complete system.
I would suggest getting the y pipe and the borla because u will probably not notice any real gains one without the other because there will still be a bottleneck either at the y or the exhaust.

As for the fitment of the cat back..It installed fairly easy took about 2 hours just because i have a sloped driveway so i have to work with what i had. The only issue is that the left muffler and tip sticks out a little further than the right and just a hair lower as well. I was able to improve it a little by taking off the muffler and bending the hanger bracket, but i really would like to figure out a way to move the muffler a higher and in. If anyone has any ideas i would really appreciate the input. I will post some pictures and video clips when i get a chance.