7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

The old hidden key trick

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 PM

The old hidden key trick

I posted this in the wrong forum but it is still good information for Maxima owners. Thing like that happen when you have two forums open at the same time.

Did the hidden key trick today. I had gotten another intelligent key from ebay (matching numbers) and had it programmed at the dealer, $50. I had a plane-jane key cut at Wal-Mart to hide outside to enable me to open the door. The batteryless fob is stashed inside awaiting to be used if necessary. FYI, I did test it to make sure the vehicle would start with it inserted into the recess in the dash. I did the same trick on my Maxima last year. Not too much expense and a whole lot of piece of mind.

Intelligent Key - backup key:
If you want to have a 'emergency key/fob', in case of losing your keys (No, I've never lost my keys, nope, not me...- oh look over there - a LE - let's go hookup our Ipods...)...Anyway...to do this:
  • Remove the key blade from the fob and hide it on the outside of the MO (ex. using a magnetic key case)
  • Remove the battery from a working fob so it's not 'active' - i.e. receiving radio waves from MO - and can be locked inside MO and the battery is not necessary (see above tip)
  • Hide the fob (very very well) inside the MO
Now you have a backup key/fob for unlocking and starting your MO

Last edited by 2young2retire; 04-14-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the tip, I get it all but what does the abbreviation MO stand for lolol?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by eLMo
Thanks for the tip, I get it all but what does the abbreviation MO stand for lolol?
Murano. We traded our 2004 LE with a gazillion miles in on a 2011 LE.

We are a two Nissan family. His and Hers, mine is the Max of course.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
I posted this in the wrong forum but it is still good information for Maxima owners. Thing like that happen when you have two forums open at the same time.

Did the hidden key trick today. I had gotten another intelligent key from ebay (matching numbers) and had it programmed at the dealer, $50. I had a plane-jane key cut at Wal-Mart to hide outside to enable me to open the door. The batteryless fob is stashed inside awaiting to be used if necessary. FYI, I did test it to make sure the vehicle would start with it inserted into the recess in the dash. I did the same trick on my Maxima last year. Not too much expense and a whole lot of piece of mind.

Intelligent Key - backup key:
If you want to have a 'emergency key/fob', in case of losing your keys (No, I've never lost my keys, nope, not me...- oh look over there - a LE - let's go hookup our Ipods...)...Anyway...to do this:
  • Remove the key blade from the fob and hide it on the outside of the MO (ex. using a magnetic key case)
  • Remove the battery from a working fob so it's not 'active' - i.e. receiving radio waves from MO - and can be locked inside MO and the battery is not necessary (see above tip)
  • Hide the fob (very very well) inside the MO
Now you have a backup key/fob for unlocking and starting your MO
Awesome info, thanks for this! I'm sure there are a bunch of places you can hide a magnetic key on the outside - great idea!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:40 PM

This is a very interesting idea. Thanks for posting this! I did not know that the fob works with no battery at all, I thought the slot was just for low power.