7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

My 7th gen's first oil change (Pics, DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Most people don't even know why they are using synthetic oil, I honestly think people do it because it's the "cool" thing to say and do. As long it's pretty much not cooking oil you are using I say skip the SYN...

Since i've owned my 2011 I've taken it to my local Dealership and never paid more than $20 for an oil change.. Granted, I can only hope they are not using a grade just above cooking oil in my motor. BTW I do this because my car is under a CPO and I have to show proof of up-keep while it's under the CPO. I just got a $25 off any serve from them so that means I am about to get my transmission oil done too..
I don't think it's cool, I think it's smart. The cost is only about 5 bucks more for synthetic so why not. Besides my change interval is 5000 miles instead of 3000 for dino oil so it boils down to using a better product at a cheaper cost.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by SR20Power
Most people don't even know why they are using synthetic oil, I honestly think people do it because it's the "cool" thing to say and do. As long it's pretty much not cooking oil you are using I say skip the SYN...

Since i've owned my 2011 I've taken it to my local Dealership and never paid more than $20 for an oil change.. Granted, I can only hope they are not using a grade just above cooking oil in my motor. BTW I do this because my car is under a CPO and I have to show proof of up-keep while it's under the CPO. I just got a $25 off any serve from them so that means I am about to get my transmission oil done too..
Totally agree. I understand the semantics of each side of the debate, it's just that I prefer an oil, lube & filter change on shorter intervals with dyno oil as opposed to synthetic.

@SR20Power: what mileage interval are you at for your NIS-2 CVT fluid change? My '12 SV is at 24,xxx right now and I'm thinking I'll get it done at 40,000 miles.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dudemaine
Totally agree. I understand the semantics of each side of the debate, it's just that I prefer an oil, lube & filter change on shorter intervals with dyno oil as opposed to synthetic.

@SR20Power: what mileage interval are you at for your NIS-2 CVT fluid change? My '12 SV is at 24,xxx right now and I'm thinking I'll get it done at 40,000 miles.
Dudemaine, I am ashamed to give out that information LMFAO!!!!! But I am 10k over the "recommended" interval which is 60k. I was toying with the idea of doing it myself then the winter came. I will get it done either this week or next. For only $140 with my $25 off I will let them do it as I don't have a garage to preform this work (I can but really don't want to). I am a slave to the weather and time.

Hey, I honestly don't care what people put into their cars, it's their car and their money and it's my Sh!tty opinion.. I've been doing this for a VERY VERY long time and I promise you, most don't even know what Syn oil is (they run and do a google search, now they are professionals). Like the Hodge twins says "This is only my opinion, do what the F$@K you wanna do!"

This takes me back to my Sr20 days when turbo people was installing 3.5 - 4" exhaust on their 4cly cars and was upset when they LOST power according to their dyno numbers.. it was ridiculous. At that time I was also hanging was a supra group of people with very high powered supra, they never really went past 3" on their exhaust pushing 600+ hp on low boost. It's that " Bigger is better, more expensive is better etc."

Last edited by SR20Power; 02-24-2016 at 03:15 AM.