7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 AM

I've been having an issue with a crazy amount of static coming from the speakers when I access voice control or am using Bluetooth. I can turn my phone off and still get static when she says "searching for device" or whatever so I know it's not the phone or connection to the phone.

I took my car into Nissan last week and they said it was because of my aftermarket HIDs......?

The only mods I have made to the car is I pulled a wire through the firewall to the factory fogs and wired in a switch to operate them independently of the headlights, and I also put in moritmoto HID headlights. Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing this? Thanks

Last edited by s4boost; 03-12-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:41 AM

What wattage are the ballasts for the kit?
Are the ballasts being powered directly by the headlight wires or did you install a relay?
Where is the kit grounded (to the body, battery, or engine block)?
Are any of the wires for the fogs ran alongside (or zip tied next to) any of the wires for the HID kit?

I would check those out before ruling anything about the bluetooth module, which is hopefully not going out.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by escblads
What wattage are the ballasts for the kit?
Are the ballasts being powered directly by the headlight wires or did you install a relay?
Where is the kit grounded (to the body, battery, or engine block)?
Are any of the wires for the fogs ran alongside (or zip tied next to) any of the wires for the HID kit?

I would check those out before ruling anything about the bluetooth module, which is hopefully not going out.
Im pretty sure There is a relay installed (two large copper coils 1 per ballast), i am using the factory headlight plug for the hids, I have one ground to the black battery terminal, and the other to a ground on the engine. The fog light wiring is near the hid wiring and the fuse that the fog light switch connects to is the fuse for the front cig lighter. 35 watt morimoto ballasts from retrofit source. Any suggestions? This does seem to be intermittent

Last edited by s4boost; 03-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 AM

Btw, this sound occurs regardless of if the hids and/or fogs are on.

Video

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...0C83E8BD61.mp4

Last edited by s4boost; 03-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM

That is a interesting problem and hopefully someone else chips in here, but it seems like there may actually be a literal static charge within the bluetooth module. I'm assuming you already tried to ground the bluetooth module (eg. touch a wire from the body of the bluetooth module to the body of the car or screw) judging by the previous posts.

But before taking the panels in the trunk apart, I would place your phone as close as possible to the bluetooth module (center-ish of the back deck) and connect it. If the static goes away then it's an interference issue, otherwise it's most likely an electrical issue with either the module itself or the wires leading to it.

So if the static didn't go away then it would be time to look at the connection for the bluetooth module. Once the panels of the trunk are separated enough for you to reach the amp, you should be able to reach the plug for the bluetooth module (if facing the trunk, it will be a square-ish connector on the back right-side of the amp). I'd take a look at it to see if there's possibly any rust or anything like that in the plug, maybe spray a bit of WD40 in it.

If none of that works, then I suggest taking it to a dealer b/c it possibly needs to be replaced unless you want to take it out to examine it.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:57 AM

Mine works fine. 2012 Premium.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Blackmax12
Mine works fine. 2012 Premium.
That post is completely pointless and ignorant. The OP is looking for help on fixing the issue at hand; not a quick statement that gives the impression of "mine works, so sucks to be you".

As for the OP:
The headlight issue, I highly doubt that the headlights would cause any sort of interference, primarily because the headlights are so far from the Bluetooth receiver, and the wires for the speakers should be far enough from the relays for your headlights to be not affected.

Do a battery of tests, such as trying the Bluetooth when no lights are on, when car is on, but engine not running, moving your bluetooth device around, inside and outside the car, and whatever else you can think of and report back to us. A gentle tap on the receiver just to make sure it is not a loose connection, and gentle taps on the speakers themselves.
I have not checked out the video you posted (currently in class right now), so some of my ideas could be redundant.

Good luck.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 03-27-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM

Lighten up. Only meant to let them know that it's not an issue in all vehicles.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blackmax12
Lighten up. Only meant to let them know that it's not an issue in all vehicles.
After re-reading what I wrote...
An apology is in order: Sorry.
Something is wrong with me these few days, I'm easily irritated, and/or angry at something, just not sure what. Unfortunately, it flared up on you.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 AM

Smile

No problem. I have days like that too. Remember, no matter how bad your day is going, at least you get to drive a Maxima!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by s4boost
The only mods I have made to the car is I pulled a wire through the firewall
What wire did you pull, head/fog lights are on a completely different circuit then the audio, static is usually a crimped wire or a loose connection
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 PM

I know this might be a little off topic but I was trying to research the exact bluetooth module on the 2012 S (non navi) warranty. My buddy says there's a loop hole to getting your bluetooth module replaced with the new 2013 model, which gives you audio streaming? Any thoughts? Lol