7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed with my 7th gen over 100

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 PM

I emailed Uprev and their response was this-

"We don't support the new Maximas with Osiris Standard since we don't have any base tunes for them. You can locate your nearest Pro Tuner on our locator. There might be a $200 charge to create the support if your ECU is currently not supported"

So I called RT tuning in PA since I've read others were happy with them. The tuner didn't know if he could delete the throttle restriction and he'd have to call uprev.
Also with the $200 rom charge (because 2014 isn't supported yet) from uprev and the $300 license charge from uprev along with roughly 3 hours of dyno time at RT they said my bill would be $1100+.

There's got to be a cheaper way.....
How much have others paid?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Racerbox77

"We don't support the new Maximas with Osiris Standard since we don't have any base tunes for them. You can locate your nearest Pro Tuner on our locator. There might be a $200 charge to create the support if your ECU is currently not supported"

So I called RT tuning in PA since I've read others were happy with them. The tuner didn't know if he could delete the throttle restriction and he'd have to call uprev.
Also with the $200 rom charge (because 2014 isn't supported yet) from uprev and the $300 license charge from uprev along with roughly 3 hours of dyno time at RT they said my bill would be $1100+.

There's got to be a cheaper way.....
How much have others paid?
650 for uprev license + dyno tune at an uprev approved shop. at the price you're being quoted i probably wouldn't have done it honestly, that's insane. Then again that's still less than an AAM exhaust and is by far the best single performance mod you can do to this car.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Did they confirm the throttle gets pulled back?
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Maximam

Did they confirm the throttle gets pulled back?
No the response was exactly what I copy and pasted here. They didn't answer any of my questions basically because my car is not supported being a 14.

Now I have read on numerous boards that yes it it definitely pulled back. These cars only see full throttle from 30mph to 90mph. It seems that all new Nissans have a throttle restriction and our cars are pulled back the most.
It seems that our cars can be tuned to get rid of the throttle restriction but the tuner needs to know how.

Also I called Bully Dog after hearing about a tune from RT tuning and Uprev is $1100!
I asked what exactly their unit does. I asked specifically does it delete the throttle restriction, does it lean out the AF, does it increase timing?
He wrote down the questions and is going to speak with the engineers and get back to me.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:30 AM

it's kinda hilarious when someone posts up a video showing a car accelerating with throttle control disabled and the car accelerates at the same speed; and you guys ignore it. this forum is just full of win these days.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:49 AM

Although I am in for further posts

Last edited by WrightOne86; 12-03-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
it's kinda hilarious when someone posts up a video showing a car accelerating with throttle control disabled and the car accelerates at the same speed; and you guys ignore it. this forum is just full of win these days.
I'm not sure if that Altima was accelerating any faster than my car or not but judging by how my car felt at 120 I'm not sure it would go 155mph like the video.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:00 PM

well im just trying to help with what i found thats all. that graph that shows the throttle line and how it drops alittle bit does not seem like it goes down that much..maybe to like 80-85 percent. so comparing a cars speedo doing a pull with it not having the throttle pull back vs it pulling back would be a small difference on a speedo but if two equal cars were lined up and did a run with one having the throttle pulled back vs the one that does not...the car that does not would creep slowly on the other car like maybe by 1-1.5mph is my guess and on a speedo compare thats almost not noticeable. also u gotta consider weather and sea level. he could be doing this pull in high seal level and humidity and our cars doing this in cool dry air at sea level...theres more to factor in when comparing videos online to your car because u dont know what conditions that car is running in. but i guess the real benefit to this is when its turned off you have no governor.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Absolutely. Unfortunately at least for the 14's it's crazy $ to get a tune
Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 PM

I've been watching this thread for a while with curiosity ...

Racerbox - what's your goal man?

Clearly you are ***** to the wall modding your max, which I'm more than cool with but i gotta ask a couple of questions.

I'm assuming you're planning on adding basic bolt ons. And if my memory serves me correct the only 'performance' mod you've got so far is an intake. Correct? What else are you planning on doing? Spacers, exhaust, UDP, Gutted cats, etc?

If so, you aren't planning on an UpRev before doing all those things .... right?

And based on this thread, seems to me you've prolly found your top speed. What did you hit?

Fastest, I've gotten mine (no tune, yet) was 125 mph (on a private road) but I could have pushed it a little bit more. And from what I've read here, I think the top speed for a 'speed limited/governed' 7th Gen was around 135 mph, though I could be mistaken.

I'm curious if the 7th Gen (ungoverned) could ever get to 160 mph like the Altima in that video. Our cars are less aerodynamic and are fat pigs.

Anyways, I'm interested to see how things shake out for you.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:44 PM

Just getting my ducks in a row right now. The tune will be my last performance mod. "Plan your work then work your plan"

Haven't pushed it past 120ish so far. Need some coilovers and a rear sway bar and then it will hopefully feel like I'm driving it and not just along for the ride.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:03 PM

I bet the button next to the mirror and heated stering wheel vtc or something has plenty to do with the gas pedel being heald back . I have yet to hear any statement driving full speed with this switch off .and maybe getting the funtions of this switch shut off may be the answer to full speed and full power also a rev limiter is something not to mess with unless u don't mind replacing motors frequently

Last edited by williammmurphy; 12-03-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM

OK I have confirmed it tonight myself.

Using the Torque PRO app and watching throttle percentage.

When you floor the gas pedal the throttle goes from .08% or so (idle) and gradually ramps up to 80% then at exactly 85mph it goes down to 38%.

Now I don't know if in fact the throttle is truly only at 80% and not 100 (I really hope not) but what I can say for sure is it closes a good amount.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

OK I have confirmed it tonight myself.

Using the Torque PRO app and watching throttle percentage.

When you floor the gas pedal the throttle goes from .08% or so (idle) and gradually ramps up to 80% then at exactly 85mph it goes down to 38%.

Now I don't know if in fact the throttle is truly only at 80% and not 100 (I really hope not) but what I can say for sure is it closes a good amount.
The percentages sound suspect but the fact that it shows a reduction in throttle at the same speed we feel it is reassuring.

Two things come to mind when I think of this.

One, why would Nissan do this? My guess is they are trying to prevent strain on the CVT. When at a high speed there is a lot of wind resistance. Having the motor producing 290hp pushing against a car up against a wind wall is a strain and maybe why Nissan pulls throttle.

Two, I thought to myself, gee I have a 290hp car MOST of the time, but not ALL of the time.

I know hard to dyno but are there any dyno graphs of 7th gens with a MPH layout? I suspect a flat or dropping line at this point.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM

The only way to dyno the CVT is with a MPH dyno. And no it doesn't show a drop off in power. I have several dyno graphs from my car on a dyno if you'd like to see them, PM me.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:32 AM

There's absolutely a drop in power on my car at 85, I can feel it.

Ghozt,
Maybe on the dyno being that the rear wheels aren't moving it may trick the ECU and not pull throttle. Or your car has the zero restriction throttle tune.
Send me your graphs or post em up
Old 12-06-2013, 05:33 AM

The rear wheels not moving is one of the reasons why the CVT has problems on an RPM dyno. on top of it not being able to hold a 1:1 gear ratio; the car thinks its slipping and the CVT starts downshifting to try to "save your life". removing the ABS fuse helps but the car still does it. this is why a MPH dyno was used to show estimated gains across the powerband; but neither dyno will ever show max WHP or be as accurate as a manual or automatic dyno pull ever. so on a RPM dyno you do see a dip in power and then the graph goes nuts like a seismograph, but thats because of the transmission interfering and not locking into the 1:1 ratio you need for accurate power representation.

Last edited by Ghozt; 12-06-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:45 AM

Also, Hills Garage my tuner confirmed that my throttle control was disabled as part of the tune. I shot him an email and he pulled up the saved session and looked through it and confirmed.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Also, Hills Garage my tuner confirmed that my throttle control was disabled as part of the tune. I shot him an email and he pulled up the saved session and looked through it and confirmed.
Nice! I have to find a less expensive tuner than my quote for $1100
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 AM

Nice! I have to find a less expensive tuner than my quote for $1100
I'm surprised Uprev is saying they want to charge you $200 to get the base map from the 2014's. My tuner said I was the 3rd 7th gen he'd tuned (all 2009 and 2010's) and the first time he had to send the map to Uprev. He didn't say they charged him anything though, just that the first visit was basically a "waste" cause all they did was pull info from the car and send him home.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"I feel sure there will eventually be CVTs that are fine at speeds well over 100MPH, but the CVT is not quite there yet. Unless your buddy has a CVT in his Trailblazer, racing at speeds over 100 MPH was rather meaningless."

END QUOTE

The transmission has nothing to do with going over 100mph.

The car was still in its power band after 100mph. Meaning near redline. Also I was monitoring my A/F and timing. It was around 11.1- 11.3 af and 25 degrees timing. Now obviously that's not optimal but that's the factory tune. Point is it didn't change from 75mph to 120mph.

So I felt the car slow its pull but the readings on my gauges didn't change so what I believe happened is the throttle closed. I'd just like someone that knows confirm this.

It's funny everyone blames everything on the CVT.
Hey do u still have the Maxima I have a few questions to ask you about this axact thread and tuning
Old 02-26-2017, 07:45 AM

Also check into y pipes, another factor in high speed performance for these cars. And let this dead thread lie.