7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Has anyone installed the 2J Racing pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Some of these guys spend close to $1000 just on interior/exterior LEDs and HID bulbs. There are worse things to spend your money on than a sick sounding exhaust.
Maybe so but that falls into a different category of car expenses (looks department). And haven't I read you write multiple times not to get sound confused with HP?

No offense but I was only talking about a HP per $ ratio, not exterior expenses so that point is irrelevant to this situation. If people don't mind spending that money on it then all the power to them but even if I went all custom with a similar build idt it would cost me $1549.

That is all..
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Some of these guys spend close to $1000 just on interior/exterior LEDs and HID bulbs. There are worse things to spend your money on than a sick sounding exhaust.
Maybe so but lighting falls into a different category (Looks department). Also haven't I read you write multiple times not to get sound confused with HP so that should not hold any weight in this.

No offense but my point was to compare the HP to $ ratio so your point about exterior lighting was irrelevant to this situation. But hey if you don't mind and can afford spending that money on it then all the power to you. I ain't balling like that so I'll stick with what I can afford lol.

That is all..
Old 03-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
Maybe so but that falls into a different category of car expenses (looks department). And haven't I read you write multiple times not to get sound confused with HP?

No offense but I was only talking about a HP per $ ratio, not exterior expenses so that point is irrelevant to this situation. If people don't mind spending that money on it then all the power to them but even if I went all custom with a similar build idt it would cost me $1549.

That is all..
do you know how much exhausts cost for other VQ platforms? people are spoiled by the cheaper $800 sets available for the Maximas. The benefit to AAM's is they use extremely high quality materials, the welds are very well done, and it's the only bolt-on 3" to 2.5" exhaust available.

saying I got it only for the looks department is kinda ignorant. the 12 HP gains were un-tuned gains so anyone looking to make power with their tune is going to want an aftermarket exhaust that opens things up. i sold my Borla and got this one because it has larger piping and sounds better and power-wise is the best option for my performance build going forward.

nobody said you have to buy it. but there's a reason why everyone who has gotten the AAM loves their exhaust and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM

do you know how much exhausts cost for other VQ platforms? people are spoiled by the cheaper $800 sets available for the Maximas. The benefit to AAM's is they use extremely high quality materials, the welds are very well done, and it's the only bolt-on 3" to 2.5" exhaust available.

saying I got it only for the looks department is kinda ignorant. the 12 HP gains were un-tuned gains so anyone looking to make power with their tune is going to want an aftermarket exhaust that opens things up. i sold my Borla and got this one because it has larger piping and sounds better and power-wise is the best option for my performance build going forward.

nobody said you have to buy it. but there's a reason why everyone who has gotten the AAM loves their exhaust and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Those platforms are also HR vs DE so parts for them naturally run more expensive from what I've seen. But the ignorance is when you misread what I wrote and then call me ignorant.

I said that exterior LED and lighting fall into a different category which is the looks department..

Idk where you read that I said you bought the exhaust just for looks??

But again you missed the point of it all, I was comparing te HP to $ ratio and quiet frankly any exhaust with a tune will get you a lot more gains. Also 3" piping on a setup under 500HP is worthless and really just for sound. 2.5" is more than adequate for what this car/CVT can handle. And if I'm spending $1600 on any part I better love it otherwise I made a horrible business decision.

Wasn't trying to but heads with anyone, just making a point.

Last edited by Ross2893; 03-02-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM

the point you missed was people waste money on lots of things on this car, like LEDs, so why complain about people spending more on an exhaust with actual benefits? if you don't want to get it, then don't. the # of people on here complaining about the AAM exhaust price though is funny, especially when they had a group buy in the beginning for $850 a set and everyone faked on payment.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:58 AM

the point you missed was people waste money on lots of things on this car, like LEDs, so why complain about people spending more on an exhaust with actual benefits? if you don't want to get it, then don't. the # of people on here complaining about the AAM exhaust price though is funny, especially when they had a group buy in the beginning for $850 a set and everyone faked on payment.
I saw the group buy. Had I had my car then and been a member then I would have without a doubt bought it. That also shows my point about the cost. If the price started at such a good price what's with the nearly 100% inflation??

And I didn't miss any point. You're just overthinking what I wrote. People will not scrutinize the cost of body kits and custom parts like they will when it comes to how much the pay for a performance part vs how much performance gains it gives you.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
I saw the group buy. Had I had my car then and been a member then I would have without a doubt bought it. That also shows my point about the cost. If the price started at such a good price what's with the nearly 100% inflation??

And I didn't miss any point. You're just overthinking what I wrote. People will not scrutinize the cost of body kits and custom parts like they will when it comes to how much the pay for a performance part vs how much performance gains it gives you.
The price was below cost, introductory price. Yes - they were taking a loss on each unit. Since people are paying the retail price right now they have no reason to lower it or offer another sale. The words directly from one of their ex-sales guys was "we're not concerned about the number of sales, just as long as we retain a decent profit margin on each individual unit". Since they're hand built here in the US with locally sourced high quality metal, they have a higher price point than say a mass-produced one shipped over from China.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM

The price was below cost, introductory price. Yes - they were taking a loss on each unit. Since people are paying the retail price right now they have no reason to lower it or offer another sale. The words directly from one of their ex-sales guys was "we're not concerned about the number of sales, just as long as we retain a decent profit margin on each individual unit". Since they're hand built here in the US with locally sourced high quality metal, they have a higher price point than say a mass-produced one shipped over from China.
Fair enough. All makes sense now
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 AM

The labor cost that goes into an exhaust unit is also higher if your TIG welding. It also varies from welder to welder some are really fast and good. Others are too meticulous and overcharge. While I'll agree the priceline is high on the exhaust, it is probably the only quality exhaust out right now with an kind of real gains.

Most muffler shops will just chop your OEM setup and oxy-acetylene some replacement pieces in. A fabrication shop engineers every piece which also takes more time and money. Modding is really for the end user, just make the juice is worth the squeeze!
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gravkillz
There is no theory here, I doubt you have the accelerometers, vibration consoles, and laser technologies to sufficiently determine your claims. If it were so then you would cover damages to engines due to torsional vibration damage.

I do small custom fabrications for the calibration industry. My main job is performing calibrations on all industries equipment. Every calibration that is performed should have traceability to some standard. We use NIST standards in our laboratory. This practice of calibration is called Metrology, this is no theory. I run many calibrations on rotational assemblies which rely on exact mapping of harmonics generated by torsional vibration. I also calibrate the equipment and sensors that measure harmonics, thermal expansion, frequency, amplitude etc.

Your correct in say the VQ engine is internally balanced but the crankshaft will still resonate when every cylinder fires. Regardless if it is internally or externally balanced, vibrations and harmonics will always exist. Also, to contribute to the vibration the transmissions rotating assembly is also connected to the engine via the clutch/flywheel/TQconverter depending if its auto or manual. Dampener doesn't cancel out vibrations it dampens them. Elastomer dampeners have been the best solution to torsional vibration.

Elastomer wheels are only used as dampeners. If the wheel has an elastomer ring its primary purpose is dampening. CNC machined parts will not eliminate harmful vibrations it just means it was CNC machined. This is also why we have engine mounts and transmission mounts made of similar polymers.

We calibrate most standards to +/- .000001 for aerospace standards that's the lowest end. I work hand and hand with engineers to determine their standards tolerances.

Bottom line is that a dealership will not cover damages due to resonant vibrations if something other than what was designed for their engine is on there. I won't go telling an engineer that the standards they have established is null and void. It is certainly no theory it is a very precise science.

Will it make you feel better to say that what I do is wrong? I calibrate your fuel pumps. I guess that is theory too.
...and this is why you don't see parts manufacturers typically get into discussions with enthusiasts on forums. Instead of showing issues with parts, you can get dragged into how much education someone has, crazy discussions on calibration issues, standards, metrology, thermal expansion, harmonics..

If you're building parts for the aerospace industry, I encourage you to tackle the automotive aftermarket, who would love to have a $10,000 crank pulley and some serious documentation for all of the elaborate testing that will go into it.

The part works, it's engineered and CAD designed, and you're seeing no failures.. I'm not saying you and the company you work for aren't talented, it shows that you probably are, but you seem to be peacocking here..
Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 PM

Well said Josh. Let's move on guys.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
...and this is why you don't see parts manufacturers typically get into discussions with enthusiasts on forums. Instead of showing issues with parts, you can get dragged into how much education someone has, crazy discussions on calibration issues, standards, metrology, thermal expansion, harmonics..

If you're building parts for the aerospace industry, I encourage you to tackle the automotive aftermarket, who would love to have a $10,000 crank pulley and some serious documentation for all of the elaborate testing that will go into it.

The part works, it's engineered and CAD designed, and you're seeing no failures.. I'm not saying you and the company you work for aren't talented, it shows that you probably are, but you seem to be peacocking here..
I'm not selling pulleys here Josh from Stillen, you are. Besides, I said I was in the wrong here for bringing up a sensitive subject. You can continue to try and argue with me or with anyone else who brings this subject up. But, this is clearly a sales pitch for you as your in the pulley business. I will not try to spend $10,000 to re-engineer the wheel as it has clearly already been done.

Leave me out of your bird farm and pissing matches. I again apologize for bringing or dragging education, calibration, standards, thermal expansion and harmonics to this forum. The links below are previous pissing wars, if I want to play star wars I will do so there. I should have avoided this one with a Stillen sponsored member. I would also like to apologize to Ghozt as well for the various offenses of smart talk. I'd rather talk about politics, at least then we can all lie and make empty promises.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/ask-me-ho...s-t251971.html

http://forums.nicoclub.com/stillen-pulleys-t257403.html
Old 12-29-2022, 11:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I love how science got involved in the braaaaaappppin. If a cnc solid underdrive pulley destroys my motor well then it's gonna destroy the next one I swap in too