7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smell of burning rubber/plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:54 PM

smell of burning rubber/plastic?

i think i have an issue? when ever im done driving my car, i park it in the garage, get out and get this smell of burning plastic or rubber. i pop the hood to see if the smell will get stronger, but nothing. i do a walk around but cant really pin point where the smell is coming from. anyone have any ideas on what it might be?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM

Good question. I have the same thing with my 2014 when it is warm and I park it in the garage. I was hoping it's just the hoses or something off gassing from the heat and would eventually stop. It seems to be less noticeable then in the past.

The smell I have seems to be coming from under the hood near the front of the radiator on the passenger side.

I checked the fluids and they all seem to be fine. I would expect that others have experienced the smell. But I would expect it to be gone after four years on your 2010.

I just took a closer look. There are a lot of hoses with a vinyl mesh sleeves in that area. There is also a lot of heat generated in that area. That is probably the cause of the smell and should be no big deal. I would expect that this is pretty common to all 7th Gens. Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited by Nopike; 06-06-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Good question. I have the same thing with my 2014 when it is warm and I park it in the garage. I was hoping it's just the hoses or something off gassing from the heat and would eventually stop. It seems to be less noticeable then in the past.

The smell I have seems to be coming from under the hood near the front of the radiator on the passenger side.

I checked the fluids and they all seem to be fine. I would expect that others have experienced the smell. But I would expect it to be gone after four years on your 2010.

I just took a closer look. There are a lot of hoses with a vinyl mesh sleeves in that area. There is also a lot of heat generated in that area. That is probably the cause of the smell and should be no big deal. I would expect that this is pretty common to all 7th Gens. Can anyone confirm that?
I have yet to check under my car and see if there might be a plastic bag or something stuck on the exhaust. I know there was one before and I took it off, but wasnt able to get all of it off. Im just hoping it's nothing serious with coolant or anything of that sort. The smell hasn't been there all the time. I just noticed it recently after coming back from a car meet. I want to take it to a mechanic but dont want to pay the outrageous price that they charge just for diagnostics.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Just check your fluids, coolant, oil, trans and power steering. If those are not discolored it's probably nothing serious.