7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling drivers door - anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:51 PM

Rattling drivers door - anyone else have this problem?

My drivers door rattles constantly whenever i go over any small imperfections on the road. This only happens when i'm driving at a slow speed <15mph and any faster the noise isn't noticeable. One interesting thing is that when i open the window a little bit, the noise seems to disappear. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking maybe the window guide track is loose inside the door. Is it easy taking apart the door?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2012maximaS
My drivers door rattles constantly whenever i go over any small imperfections on the road. This only happens when i'm driving at a slow speed <15mph and any faster the noise isn't noticeable. One interesting thing is that when i open the window a little bit, the noise seems to disappear. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking maybe the window guide track is loose inside the door. Is it easy taking apart the door?
I think i have this too. I have no idea what it is or how to fix it but its quite annoying. Any input would be appreciated as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM

I found a fix for this issue. All i did was clean and apply silicone spray lubricant along every single piece of rubber molding around the door. The rattling sound is gone for now and hopefully it will stay that way.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 PM

This is not happening in nissan flagship car is it. My friend its cheap parts that nissan is using.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by MAXair
This is not happening in nissan flagship car is it. My friend its cheap parts that nissan is using.
Wouldn't call the Maxima Nissan's flagship, I believe that is reserved to the GT-R. But in either case, that doesn't make it a valid excuse for the lack of quality control. Where exactly is it rattling? I have a rattle on the driver door as well right where the door meets the B-pillar.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
Wouldn't call the Maxima Nissan's flagship, I believe that is reserved to the GT-R. But in either case, that doesn't make it a valid excuse for the lack of quality control. Where exactly is it rattling? I have a rattle on the driver door as well right where the door meets the B-pillar.

uumm the Nissan Maxima is the flagship of the Nissan brand (they specifically state this in ads) The GT-R definitely isn't because first off it is a car that isn't even available to the mass market of individuals its a special car I'd say not a flagship
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Daaavid
If you have the window all the way up, use your fingers and press all along the top of the window where it meets the top of the door. When i do that, i have a lot of creaking noises which was reduced when i applied the silicone spray. I'm still not exactly sure where the rattle was located but it has something to do with the rubber door molding. This is also a pretty common problem for all car brands and many people recommend using Gummi Pflege or Sil-Glyde to lubricate the molding.

Last edited by 2012maximaS; 07-23-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:06 AM

If you have the window all the way up, use your fingers and press all along the top of the window where it meets the top of the door. When i do that, i have a lot of creaking noises which was reduced when i applied the silicone spray. I'm still not exactly sure where the rattle was located but it has something to do with the rubber door molding. This is also a pretty common problem for all car brands and many people recommend using Gummi Pflege or Sil-Glyde to lubricate the molding.
Will definitely take a look into the side molding. The location is exactly at the corner of the B-pillar and bottom of the window/interior panel so I am not sure if we are experiencing the same issue. Placing my arm on the leather arm rest on the door stops the rattling, so I thought it was the window controls but it is not. There's also some type of buzzing noise I can't seem to isolate as well on the passenger side traveling below 20 mph.

It's funny you say that it is a common problem. My old vehicle had the same issue as well, and I figured it was just a loose panel. Never actually went into solving it since it was an on and off occurrence.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any chance you guys aren't wearing your seat belts? LOL. I only ask because mine rattles against the pillar if I forget to click-it. =)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by XRayTony
Any chance you guys aren't wearing your seat belts? LOL. I only ask because mine rattles against the pillar if I forget to click-it. =)
Definitely have mine on.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by XRayTony
I have mine on as well but that is another minor annoyance. Whenever someone sits in the front passenger seat and leaves, the seatbelt always twists so that the plastic buckle is against the plastic trim and it rattles until i reach over and untwist it. Happens every single time without fail.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 AM

I have mine on as well but that is another minor annoyance. Whenever someone sits in the front passenger seat and leaves, the seatbelt always twists so that the plastic buckle is against the plastic trim and it rattles until i reach over and untwist it. Happens every single time without fail.
I thought I was the only one!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM

I have noticed a rattling sound that appears to be coming from inside the door. It happens when I go over certain bumps at various speeds. I can't isolate when it actually happens because it seems to be random. It sounds as if it something in the door pings or rattles. It is very annoying. I don't know if anyone else has been experiencing this.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 PM

I spoke too soon. I am now developing some buzzing noise too, but mine is from the passenger side., and coming from the back. Funny, I had my driver's door disassembled by a teenager in the dealership and I was really afraid it will develop rattle, but if anything the driver's door is tighter now. Maybe I will have them take apart the other door too. I too can't locate the noise though. I see nothing lose, not the belt, and when I tap around with the car stationary, everything looks and feels tight. My noise is triggered not from big shakes, but those super tiny cracks on the pavement. Not every time either..
I wish I never read this. Maybe I had it before but didn't notice. Now it bothers me every time I hear it.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:25 PM

I had a rattle/buzzing noise in the drivers door. I would hear it with heavy bass and when closing the door. I also noticed that if I pulled on the bottom of the door near the storage area I could also hear the rattle. The rattle was coming from the area near the bottom of the door grip. I removed the cover of the door grip. When I did this a plastic clip that secures that area fell out. I installed it properly and no more noise. If anyone wants to check theirs use a suitable tool toward the bottom front of the door grip cover to pry it out.

It was nice to have any easy fix with this car for a change.

It is possible the clip may have worked itself loose. But I have to wonder how often workers at the assembly plant, who are having a bad day, for whatever reason, decide to do something like this on purpose.

Last edited by Nopike; 07-28-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:25 PM

made in america

I tried using that gummy pfledge that someone recommended. Oiled the rubbers real good. Hard to tell because my noise is intermittent, but I think its reduced to the point of not bothering me. But this is hiding the symptoms of a problem that really exists. There is something lose somewhere.

What is frustrating is that the rattling cannot be reproduced with the car stopped, so its not easy to isolate. I got a small rubber hammer and went hitting around the right doors and pillars, the speakers on the back, anything I could think of, and nothing. Everything looks real tight. But when driving with will occasionally buzz, and keep buzzing for a few seconds.

Im gona ask the dealer with next oil change. Hoping somebody discovers the problem before that. I think its the same problem everyone is having.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by assiduous
made in america

I tried using that gummy pfledge that someone recommended. Oiled the rubbers real good. Hard to tell because my noise is intermittent, but I think its reduced to the point of not bothering me. But this is hiding the symptoms of a problem that really exists. There is something lose somewhere.

What is frustrating is that the rattling cannot be reproduced with the car stopped, so its not easy to isolate. I got a small rubber hammer and went hitting around the right doors and pillars, the speakers on the back, anything I could think of, and nothing. Everything looks real tight. But when driving with will occasionally buzz, and keep buzzing for a few seconds.

Im gona ask the dealer with next oil change. Hoping somebody discovers the problem before that. I think its the same problem everyone is having.
I'm glad the gummy pfledge worked somewhat for you. So far the silicone spray that i applied has still kept most of the noise away. Occasionally, when the rubber molding gets wet from rain, i do hear a rattle here and there but not near the frequency as before. I'm pretty sure its something to do with the molding moving around when going over bumps. The rattle only occurred with the windows were all the way up which is when the windows push up against the rubber molding. If i even slightly blipped the windows down, the rattle would stop. I feel like sil-glyde would probably work better as its more viscous so i may try that if this silicon spray stops working. I will ask my dealer again on my next oil change but when i told them about this rattle last time, they just stuffed a piece of foam between the metal door frame and the plastic trim and it didn't do anything.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM

well.. the rattle is back... silicone spray only works temporarily. I've isolated the problem to the top frame of the door. With the door closed and window up, i can hear a creaking/squeaking sound when i press on the upper door frame of the drivers door(chrome trim portion) that sounds like the rubber molding rubbing against something. This doesn't happen on the other doors... so what i think is happening is that when the car goes over bumps, the car flexes and the drivers door moves slightly causing the creaking sound. Not sure how to fix this... any ideas? Told the dealer and they said the warranty doesn't cover it.