7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

ETC - No WOT below 30 and above 80

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014 | 10:37 PM

I ordered my UpRev tune yesterday. Should be getting the cable and emailed tunes next week.
No more WOT restrictions! Anyone have trans cooler suggestions?
Old 11-15-2014 | 01:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would contact Ghozt as he's gone this route already.
Old 11-15-2014 | 06:03 AM

I've talked to him before. I've been as far as having a shop attempt to tune my car via UpRev. They had no clue how to tune a CVT and actually made the car slower.
Old 11-15-2014 | 08:01 AM

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was referring to the trans cooler.

I know you've been trying to deal with finding a competent tuner in your area. That's too bad that you had to go through all that. I'm hoping that you have a big smile on your face after this next tuning session.
Old 11-15-2014 | 08:08 AM

Cant wait to hear about the results! Good luck!
Old 11-16-2014 | 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jeffislouie

Gotcha.
All I can think of is that Nissan wanted to ensure longevity and cut down on the chance of CVT failure/damage.
I remember when they first started pushing CVT's and they were less than reliable. Nissan doubled down and extended the warranty to try and calm consumer fears.
Back on the Honda forums, people would argue that the only reason CVT's aren't allowed in F1 racing is because they would give an unfair advantage. I think it has more to do with complexity and robust-ness of the parts.
Have you ever seen how tiny the CVT is? Crazy!
+1

I also think Nissan engineered the car to cut the power off the line to ensure a more luxurious feel because of the previous Gens' habit of excessive wheelspin/torque steer.

I think we'd all be a bit more content if we stopped wanting these cars to be able to perform like a stick or conventional auto that we can just add a few mods to and get it to behave off the line and past 100 like we want it to.
Old 11-16-2014 | 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by dragon27
i have running the sprint booster for a few months now. takes off the throttle delay so as soon as i hit the accelerator, there is no lag and you get wot. i have it on the red color which is the most sensitive and takes away the most delay. its a bit touchy in rainy weather with the crappy rsa tires though so i switch it to green in rainy weather.

all of my past cars, i have done this mod, as i hate the lag and love the wot even though i do not race. a few members on here warned me about the sprint booster and the cvt transmission but i am the guinea pig here i guess...
I basically read through that entire ridiculously retarded thread at the 5th Gen Forum and I saw nowhere that someone agreed it actually does what you've stated.

They did however, say that it gives you a feeling that it is doing such a thing without actually giving any performance gains whatsoever.

The one thing about the 5th Gen forum besides having a bunch of KnowItAlls is that at least they do the respectable research to back up whatever they claim even if many of them as A-holes about it.

It's like one giant Knowledge Bowl Contest over at 5th gen, I love it when I had my 5th gens but I occasionally peek in every now and then but there's just too many Einstens for my rudimentary auto-mind.
Old 11-17-2014 | 03:30 PM

my boy just had his Max tuned at Hills Garage here in MD and they also installed the Sprint Booster for him. I was driving around in his car and the Sprint Booster does SEEM to make the car respond better, hard to say though. thought it was weird the shop sold them a throttle control device when you can tune the throttle with Uprev
Old 11-17-2014 | 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by bk2k3max
I basically read through that entire ridiculously retarded thread at the 5th Gen Forum and I saw nowhere that someone agreed it actually does what you've stated.

They did however, say that it gives you a feeling that it is doing such a thing without actually giving any performance gains whatsoever.

The one thing about the 5th Gen forum besides having a bunch of KnowItAlls is that at least they do the respectable research to back up whatever they claim even if many of them as A-holes about it.

It's like one giant Knowledge Bowl Contest over at 5th gen, I love it when I had my 5th gens but I occasionally peek in every now and then but there's just too many Einstens for my rudimentary auto-mind.
All the Sprint Booster does it change the throttle percentage in relation to pedal position. All it does is change the perception of the driver, nothing more.
Old 11-18-2014 | 07:44 AM

+1

I also think Nissan engineered the car to cut the power off the line to ensure a more luxurious feel because of the previous Gens' habit of excessive wheelspin/torque steer.
Honestly, I hope that's not the case.
If a driver wants a smoother feel, they generally are smooth / easy with acceleration.
I tend to think it is a means to protect the cvt.

After driving this car for 3 months now I find myself driving in sport mode most of the time, the cvt "moan" in standard mode is a bit much.
Old 11-19-2014 | 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by saltohio

After driving this car for 3 months now I find myself driving in sport mode most of the time, the cvt "moan" in standard mode is a bit much.
That's funny because the moment my car was broken in, I drove in sport mode and used the paddles. This lasted about a week, mostly because I can get used to a little moaning, but I can't get used to robotic, obviously fake shifts.

Honestly, driving around in sport mode annoys me more than the small amount of moaning, which I've come to ignore.
I believe Nissan could have given the shifter "PRND" and been done. The car is faster in D than it is in Sport and the paddle shifters and artificial fake shift points are even more ridiculous than the CVT in D. To each his own. To me, the paddle shifters are only good for the faux control the driver thinks they get by 'downshifting' and the fake ratios are robotic.

What's weird is when I get into a car with a normal slushbox, I think it's broken.
Old 11-27-2014 | 07:53 AM

The major reason for my spending $$ on an UpRev tune was to get rid of the throttle cut. Well so far after my UpRev E-tune I still have the throttle cut. I asked them to delete it in tune #4 (out of 5) but they didn't. So I called and they told me to email their support team to figure it out.
My ignition timing is still around 25 degrees full advance. What are others seeing as far as timing that are tuned?
Old 11-27-2014 | 12:18 PM

I just wanted to say thanks to all you pioneers for us 7th genners. We are waiting in the wind to be your reinforcements for when uprev is complete and functional.
Old 11-27-2014 | 04:51 PM

no bs here. when you step on the accelerator pedal, there is no more slight hesitation (lag). yes, it does not produce horsepower, but it takes that tiny delay when you floor the accelerator pedal. its hard to explain, but you need to drive a car with a sprint booster to feel it vs the car without it. go to Mercedes forums, as a bunch of them tested it on the clk (I had a clk500 and had to try the sb for myself on the benz) and it took off the lag right away. Assiduous is a 7th gen member that has also reviewed the sb ..

Last edited by dragon27; 11-27-2014 at 05:11 PM.