7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pads/rotors help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:04 AM

Pads/rotors help

So, I wish I never would have "upgraded" my brakes. A little over a year ago I switched out my totally fine oem stuff for EBC sport rotors and EBC redstuff pads. Now I have warped rotors and feel like it was a waste of money. Shops around here won't turn slotted rotors. So I'm gonna get rid of em.

Can't decide if I should just go back to oem rotors (get my old ones turned) or get new aftermarket ones. And either way gonna need new pads. Those of you with experience, help me out. Help me find something that's a little better than oem and should be problem-free for 50k+ miles.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 AM

Hey just curious here... How long have you had your upgraded brakes?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:04 AM

The aggressive pads are what caused the warping. Typical ceramic pads are just fine for street driving, keep the brake dust to a minimum, are quiet, and last quite a while without causing excessive heat that will destroy your rotors.

Ive been using Hawk Ceramic pads for years with very good results. The newer 5.0 ceramic pads look good too. I'm going to try them next.

Heres a few links to rotors and pads that will work very well on our cars.

Brembo makes very high quality OEM replacement rotors but unfortunately they don't make them for the front of our cars.
Another alternative is Centric High Carbon content Plain Rotors.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...autoModClar=SV

Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 AM

I have never heard anything good abut EBC products. I used StopTech rotors and Hawk ceramic pads on my 2008 Subaru STI and never had an issue with warping and I had Auto crossed the car a few times. Good luck.

Last edited by dmcmahan12; 12-08-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 AM

It was definitely the pads that caused the warping. I've had my slotted rotors for almost 4 years now & never had a problem with them. Like the guy above I'd definitely go with ceramic brake pads. Depending on your style of driving they last quite a while before you have to change them. Although the pads can be somewhat expensive depending on which brand you buy, but they're definitely worth it.

But if you wanna go back to the OEM style I'd definitely check out those links above those are pretty good.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
Hey just curious here... How long have you had your upgraded brakes?
somewhere between 1 and 2 yrs I believe
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I asked the same question in the Facebook group. Kinda nice to get more help in here for a change.

So, redstuff pads ARE ceramic. They're low dust, and say they're for street use. That's pretty much why I'm looking for this help. Want to make sure that if I'm getting new ones they're not the over-aggressive ceramic that these redstuff apparently are.

Do you all think the best bet would be to just get the oem rotors turned and buy hawk ceramic's? Would rather not buy new rotors, but again I'm willing to if its going to prevent me from having these issues again soon.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:14 AM

Don't bother turning the oem rotors.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks RCM, I guess I kinda needed someone to tell me not to bother with the oem's. Tempting because it's less expensive, but, I think I'll just get rid of em. (Is there a place that old rotors are supposed to be taken to?)

Actually, I expanded my calling around search area and did finally find a place that will turn my slotted rotors. They do it with the rotors still on the car. Which is a new idea to me because I've only ever pulled them off and taken the loose rotors to a parts store.

I think that's the direction I'm gonna go. After tax it'll cost me $183 to get all 4 done. Should correct for runout and a few other things which I guess I've never been able to do at home. Hopefully if I pair it with the right brake pads I'll be problem free for a long time!

Thanks for the links to those hawk pads. Any other recommendations for pads that I should look into?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:01 PM

I went with premium centric rotors and pads in the rear. Seem I pretty nice

I like the look of rhe rotors because the center part is painted black. Rather then the metal look that rust..

Go to rockauto.com. great selection