7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With all the talks about CVT issues lately...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:48 PM

With all the talks about CVT issues lately...

I have been thinking about getting a second vehicle to drive 3-4 times a week to keep miles from ticking away so fast on my beloved Maxima. Well Last Friday I found out I had some stock options in my 401k that my company gave me over 10 years ago when we had a merger. Back then we never thought they would be worth anything. I got a call from the guy that manages our 401k's for my company and he asked me why in the hell I wasn't exercising my options, they expired that day. Low and behold the stock options that everyone thought would never be worth anything netted me about 67k!

On top of that, I checked the balance owed on my Maxima, I had been making double payments every month I have owned it, 18 months is all. I only owed about $6700, I was floored, thought I owed twice that. Guess I can't do simple math even though that's all I do all day lol, just never really thought about it.

Anyway, so I paid off my Maxima (woohoo!!) and pulled out an interest free loan from my 401k and bought a used base model Jeep Compass 4x4, 2014 with only 7500 miles. Best thing is in 2014 they dropped the CVT for a 6speed auto. I am really surprised how well this cheap little thing rides and sounds, not even a horrible dog I thought it would be for a little 4 banger and supposedly gets 28mpg highway.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 PM

Congrats
Old 06-22-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bossman150
I have been thinking about getting a second vehicle to drive 3-4 times a week to keep miles from ticking away so fast on my beloved Maxima. Well Last Friday I found out I had some stock options in my 401k that my company gave me over 10 years ago when we had a merger. Back then we never thought they would be worth anything. I got a call from the guy that manages our 401k's for my company and he asked me why in the hell I wasn't exercising my options, they expired that day. Low and behold the stock options that everyone thought would never be worth anything netted me about 67k!

On top of that, I checked the balance owed on my Maxima, I had been making double payments every month I have owned it, 18 months is all. I only owed about $6700, I was floored, thought I owed twice that. Guess I can't do simple math even though that's all I do all day lol, just never really thought about it.

Anyway, so I paid off my Maxima (woohoo!!) and pulled out an interest free loan from my 401k and bought a used base model Jeep Compass 4x4, 2014 with only 7500 miles. Best thing is in 2014 they dropped the CVT for a 6speed auto. I am really surprised how well this cheap little thing rides and sounds, not even a horrible dog I thought it would be for a little 4 banger and supposedly gets 28mpg highway.
If you drive your car normally I doubt you will have CVT issues .

Good luck with the new car

Be careful with 401k loans...........lots of possible drawbacks

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 06-22-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought a certified pre-owned maxima. Noticed that the transmission seemed to be really rough in stop and go traffic. Normal driving seemed fine, but when coming out of idle moving 10 yards then going back to idle the transmission seemed to suddenly spring into gear launch the car forward then downshift and immediately engine brake itself as soon as you touch the brakes. I took it into the shop and they say it needs a whole new CVT transmission. It only has 38,000 miles. I have no idea how hard those miles were as its used but I am surprised that the tranny could give out with so few miles no matter how hard the car was driven. Fortunately its covered under the manufactures warranty. I just hope the next one holds up longer as the warranty expires as 60,000 miles.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Max_Lando
Just bought a certified pre-owned maxima. Noticed that the transmission seemed to be really rough in stop and go traffic. Normal driving seemed fine, but when coming out of idle moving 10 yards then going back to idle the transmission seemed to suddenly spring into gear launch the car forward then downshift and immediately engine brake itself as soon as you touch the brakes. I took it into the shop and they say it needs a whole new CVT transmission. It only has 38,000 miles. I have no idea how hard those miles were as its used but I am surprised that the tranny could give out with so few miles no matter how hard the car was driven. Fortunately its covered under the manufactures warranty. I just hope the next one holds up longer as the warranty expires as 60,000 miles.
I absolutely LOVE my Maxima, in fact I just bought this Jeep primarily so I could keep my Maxima as long as possible. However, there is no way I would want to own one without an extended warranty, even just for the known CVT issues alone. Things are just too expensive on this car not have have a warranty, at least up until 100k miles. If you didn't get one I would run back to the dealer and see if they can get you a good deal on one ASAP....
Old 06-24-2015, 05:23 PM

Jeez thats scary Glad you're covered for now though!
Old 06-24-2015, 06:04 PM

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I actually went through the same nonsense with my CPO but it's a 09 so I have a 10yr/120k mile warranty on my cvt. It crapped out on me at 56k and I bought it with 46k on. Your CPO vehicle should have an additional 7yr/100k mile warranty because it's certified.